Emby thinks episodes are missing when they're not (mixed library paths)

Bob Schnatterly

CharleyVarrick

I am observing partial success after disabling missing episode option.

If I go Home/tv shows/upcoming, the issue is still present. Item that Emby has already acknowledge as added are still considered missing.

If instead I go to that show/season, then the last added episode shows as playable.

I am observing partial success after disabling missing episode option.

If I go Home/tv shows/upcoming, the issue is still present. Item that Emby has already acknowledge as added are still considered missing.

If instead I go to that show/season, then the last added episode shows as playable.

If you run a full library scan, does that problem go away?

CharleyVarrick

I will do that shortly, and report back tomorrow morning

As soon as library scan completed, all tv shows under "upcoming" showed the "Play" icon.

But the real test will be tomorrow morning when I add tonight's shows.

Yes, when you have items in your library that are "missing" and then those same items come in, it is the library scan that reconciles that.

CharleyVarrick

Yes, when you have items in your library that are "missing" and then those same items come in, it is the library scan that reconciles that.

Every morning, with 1st coffee in line of sight, I bring up Emby, and from Home Screen, I select the TV Shows tile, and then the Upcoming link (3rd from the top).

All shows that played yesterday that I'm following are displayed. Once all those once-missing episodes have been acquired (hand picked, properly renamed and moved to an agreed-upon folder structure), here's what happens:

1) After a new episode is moved to its proper destination folder, within a minute, Emby detects a new entry, creates the show.nfo, then 30 seconds later creates the show-thumb.jpg. At this point I also get the little sliding notification prompt from Emby that "episode x" has been added. Up to this point, everything is perfectly fine.

2) If I browse from Home to TV Shows/Shows and select a show/season/episode, the episode is listed and playable. Still all good at this point.

At this moment, Emby has detected a new video file, recognized its name and fetched metadata. The episode is playable from Emby (home/tv shows/shows/season/episode) and even Kodi can play it. It sure looks like the bulk of the job has been done. But, ...

3) If I go back to Home/TV Shows/Upcoming, all episodes that checked out OK in steps 1-2 still do not show a PLAY icon. Selecting any of those episode brings up their episode detail page with red missing tag. It will takes 3 or 4 hrs+, sometime more,  for Upcoming shows to display PLAY icon.

4) I was told by Luke (and explained how-to by Happy) to disable an Emby option , but that did not fix the issue.

Check the User preferences (user icon)-Display-Display missing episodes within seasons (disable it if enabled.
Edited by jlr19

Happy2Play

Where do I find that ?

Dashboard-Library-select the TV library-enable Advanced settings and scroll down (setting is just above Thumbnail images)

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Dashboard-Library-select the TV library-enable Advanced settings and scroll down (setting is just above Thumbnail images)

Thanks, but that one was already unchecked.5d9280078ff5b_Capture.jpg

Happy2Play

3) If I go back to Home/TV Shows/Upcoming, all episodes that checked out OK in steps 1-2 still do not show a PLAY icon. Selecting any of those episode brings up their episode detail page with red missing tag. It will takes 3 or 4 hrs+, sometime more,  for Upcoming shows to display PLAY icon.

A library scan corrects the issue, right?

I don't have this issue with RTM and upcoming with the options disabled (I don't uses Missing options).  But of course if I select a Upcoming item I do not have it will show Missing for today and yesterday sections if I do not have them yet, and Unaired for future episodes if entered.  Occasionally I have to manually fresh the Upcoming page if I happen to be on it when the items are added.

Edited by Happy2Play

CharleyVarrick

A library scan corrects the issue, right?

Last time I tried I believe it did, but several hours late.

I'll have a new episode to add to my tv shows library in a moment, and I'll test it live and report back...

EDIT: Once episode added to library and acknowledge by Emby, the issue in the Upcoming was present.

Instead of scanning the whole tv show library (Dashboard/Library/TV Shows), I went Home/TV Shows/show/...more and scanned just that specific show's library, and yes, it became playable thru Upcoming.

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

Occasionally I have to manually fresh the Upcoming page if I happen to be on it when the items are added.

Meaning hitting F5 while Upcoming page is displayed ?

Having tried that already. on my side, that doesn't change the episode status.

Happy2Play

Meaning hitting F5 while Upcoming page is displayed ?

Having tried that already. on my side, that doesn't change the episode status.

Yes, but my issue is you can't enter the Upcoming episode, I just get a spinning circle since the virtual episode no longer exist and I suspect there probably should be a refresh done for the page to reflect the addition of the new episode.  But this would only happen if someone was always on the Upcoming page when adding media.

It will takes 3 or 4 hrs+, sometime more,  for Upcoming shows to display PLAY icon.

That variable amount of time is however long it is until your next library scan.

CharleyVarrick

If the "redundant' library scan is a must, maybe it should be triggered automatically when new content is added.

Happy2Play

But this has to be system/setup specific as I do not require a library scan for Upcoming items to actually appear not missing when added.  RTM picks up the item and entering the Upcoming item shows it available.

CharleyVarrick

But this has to be system/setup specific as I do not require a library scan for Upcoming items to actually appear not missing when added.  RTM picks up the item and entering the Upcoming item shows it available.

Twice you mention "RTM", what is that ?

Happy2Play

Ah, I believe its enabled in my setup, but where is this option already?

This is a per library setting, but would assume you have it enabled if other views are reflecting the added media when added.

Dashboard-Library-each library-Show Advanced settings

CharleyVarrick

This is a per library setting, but would assume you have it enabled if other views are reflecting the added media when added.

Dashboard-Library-each library-Show Advanced settings

Thanks, with your help, I remembered I had to click on specific library tile, instead of on the 3 dots on it.

And you guessed right, Real Time Monitoring was enabled.

CharleyVarrick

EBR  seems to imply its normal* to have to manually scan the library so the Upcoming section update the status of episode from missing to playable.

Yet you don't have to perform manual library scan to achieve this.

The 64K$ question: Why is this process automatic for you and not for me ?

*5d95e12857e34_Capture.jpg

Edited by jlr19

No, not manually scan.   The library scan is something that should be scheduled to happen automatically every x hours - unless you disabled it.

As for if it is "normal" or not - it is the current state of things even though not perfect.  The "missing" episode feature is a major complication for all of the library processes and makes most of them much more difficult than they would be without it.  However, it is a very good feature so we want to try and keep it (and will continue to try and perfect it).  I'll warn you though, if you complain enough - you could wake up one morning and it will be gone ;).

CharleyVarrick

No, not manually scan.   The library scan is something that should be scheduled to happen automatically every x hours - unless you disabled it.

As for if it is "normal" or not - it is the current state of things even though not perfect.  The "missing" episode feature is a major complication for all of the library processes and makes most of them much more difficult than they would be without it.  However, it is a very good feature so we want to try and keep it (and will continue to try and perfect it).  I'll warn you though, if you complain enough - you could wake up one morning and it will be gone ;).

Wow, that last phrase is so unprofessional.