Emby thinks episodes are missing when they're not (mixed library paths)

Bob Schnatterly

Bob Schnatterly

This is not a huge problem, but something that should be fixed at some point.

I bought Monk season 1 on DVD and I'm recording the rest off the air. (Don't ask me why ;) )  I have DVD rips in one share on my NAS and over-the-air recordings in another share.

Emby (mostly*) recognizes that I'm "feeding" it episodes from 2 different sources, but episodes 1 and 2 from season 1 are in a single file ("Monk - S01E01-E02 - Mr. Monk and the Candidate.mp4") and Emby is showing me this odd configuration (see attached image).

*Probably due to the same confusion, Emby recorded season 1, episode 2 off the air and created a separate Season 1 folder for it in the OTA share. I deleted it.

Like I said, this is not a big deal, but I thought you should know about it...

post-432782-0-06730200-1555166842_thumb.png

Bob Schnatterly

I *could* move such DVD-ripped episodes to the OTA share, but I would prefer to keep them separate if possible...

Bob Schnatterly

From the DVD rips share:

Monk - S01E01-E02 - Mr. Monk and the Candidate (parts 1 & 2).mp4

Monk - S01E03 - Mr. Monk and the Psychic.mp4

From the OTA share:

Monk (2002) - S02E01 - Mr. Monk Goes Back to School.mp4

So, aside from the year designation on the OTA side, no difference. Emby recognizes that they're the same show...

Edited by Bob Schnatterly

Bob Schnatterly

Other than a setting that says something like "Show missing episodes", I'm not sure what you mean.  I don't remember seeing a setting for that.

I can't check Emby right now. I shut it down so I could perform a full disk test. It won't be done for another 90 minutes or so. As soon as I can bring it back up, I'll check...

Bob Schnatterly

If you're referring to the setting that says "Automatically merge series that are spread across multiple folders", yes, that option is enabled (and has been)

No it's an advanced setting under each library so you'll need to select the toggle to show it.

Bob Schnatterly

That's where I found that setting. And it's the only one resembling what you're talking about. If you mean something else, you're going to have to be more specific

Is this option about displaying missing episodes. It's right underneath the merge series folder setting you found:

5cb392ddd74bc_Untitled.png

Happy2Play

Isn't this the same issue as this topic?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/70860-tv-shows-missing/

From the DVD rips share:

Monk - S01E01-E02 - Mr. Monk and the Candidate (parts 1 & 2).mp4
Monk - S01E03 - Mr. Monk and the Psychic.mp4

From the OTA share:

Monk (2002) - S02E01 - Mr. Monk Goes Back to School.mp4

So, aside from the year designation on the OTA side, no difference. Emby recognizes that they're the same show...

Or a database issue where multi-episode and single episode versions existed?

*Probably due to the same confusion, Emby recorded season 1, episode 2 off the air and created a separate Season 1 folder for it in the OTA share. I deleted it.

Edited by Happy2Play

Bob Schnatterly

Luke, both of those settings are turned on (but I only turned on the 2nd one about 2 weeks ago(?). I've done a library rescan for TV shows ("Add new or missing") at least once after that.  Are you implying I should turn that setting back off?  Episodes 1 and 2 aren't really missing. They're just in that "Monk - S01E01-E02" episode mentioned above.

I kinda want to leave the setting on so it's more obvious which episodes I'm missing (so I can try harder to find them!)...

Ok, I'm adjusting some things for the upcoming 4.1 server release. Let's see if that has any impact. Thanks.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Hi guys,

after my routine morning tv episodes aquisition, I noticed in My Media/TV/Upcoming that only 1 out of 15 displayed the big Play button.

I then checked in Windows explorer folders, and all 15 episodes I added in their respective folders showed accompanying .nfo and thumb.jpg 

In Emby, if I go to a specific show, select the current season, I see past episodes (over a week old) with a proper preview thumb.

Yesterday's episode show generic thumb and red "missing" marker, yet it is playable.

Next week episode show generic thumb and red "Unaired" marker. While it also shows a Play icon, its obviously unplayable (emby expectedly gives a playback error that no compatible stream was found).

Again, of the 15 episodes aquired this morning, only 1 is not reported as missing.

5cb712a6261e3_Capture.png

5cb71580ccff3_Capture2.png

5cb715d10bc98_Capture3.png

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

Even weirder, I went back in My Media/TV/Upcoming and now 10 of 15 newest episodes show a Play icon, the last tv library scan ended 30 minutes ago with only 1 of 15 new episode marked playable. @@jlr19

Edited by Luke

CharleyVarrick

I noticed my thread was just merged with this one.

I can't explain why but all 15 new tv episodes are now properly accounted for. It just took 3 hours longer than usual.

• 5 months later...
CharleyVarrick

@@Luke

Any progress on this ongoing issue ?

A moment ago (but 6 hours after files were added to library), I was scanning a show folder, updating metadata, all to no avail, when I thought: lets try to play the "missing" episode in Kodi (Emby for Kodi), and to my surprise, it started playing like usual. When this happened on Kodi's side, I noticed on my other screen Emby web kinda refreshed, and the episode was now being presented as available.

Emby and Emby for Kodi are not always eye to eye, but in this instance, the Client sees and plays a file just fine, while the Server hosting the file keeps telling you the file's missing. That is strange... :blink:

EDIT:

Additional info: Those episodes that Emby stubbornly report as "missing" are accounted for in a way. Within usual delay (a minute) after adding file in a proper file structure (+ naming convention follower), the episode's sister files (show.nfo and show-thumb.jpg) are both created and displayed.

At this precise point in time, Emby is expected to update the episode's "missing" status to "normal playable", but /doesn't/refuse/is unable to/ for multi-hours.

Edited by jlr19

Happy2Play

I don't even know it existed, can you tell me where to find it ?

Check the User preferences (user icon)-Display-Display missing episodes within seasons (disable it if enabled)

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Hi Happy,

indeed, I found it enabled, but its now disabled.

Having done that, the issue is still present. Was the fix supposed to be immediate or is a scan of some sort necessary ?

EDIT: It seems to be working.

Thank you

I can't wait for tomorrow morning to observe changed behavior with the latest episodes crop

Edited by jlr19

Happy2Play

Hi Happy,

indeed, I found it enabled, but its now disabled.

Having done that, the issue is still present. Was the fix supposed to be immediate or is a scan of some sort necessary ? ^_^

Can't remember if a library scan was needed or it was instant, but there are several topics on this where with the Missing option enable and the item is added but Emby still maintains the Missing status until the options is disabled.

CharleyVarrick

Can't remember if a library scan was needed or it was instant, but there are several topics on this where with the Missing option enable and the item is added but Emby still maintains the Missing status until the options is disabled.

Sorry, I think you posted  then I edited within 5 sec of each other.

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

OK, and I guess this missing episode option's purpose is so when I look at a series, instead of jumping from episode 03 to 05. it shows and mention episode 04 as missing ?

If so, it is a useful feature to keep and a shame it has to be disabled, so is the issue still being looked at ? 

Edited by jlr19