Hardware for Audio transcoding.

Booitjie

Booitjie

Hey guys, another Plex Pass defector on the greener side of the fence now.

I currently run Emby in an UnRaid docker container on a i7 6800k (6core 12 thread) with a GTX1060 patched to accommodate more than 2 HW transcodes.

I'm very happy with the performance but as you know, audio trancodes still gets handled by the CPU. Considering my server does much more than just transcode audio, the CPU really takes a hit when handling audio while say unpacking a download.

From what I understand, audio can only be transcoded by a single thread. Does that mean that multiple streams all share the same core/thread for audio transcodes, or does each stream hava a single core assigned to it to transcode the audio?

The answer to the above question will affect my upgrade path decision.

I'm deciding between high clock speed Intel chips like the 9700K or even the 9900k and the higher core count AMD 2700x or possibly the TR 2920X. I understand that these are overkill but again my server is used for other things aside from Emby. That said, for audio transcodes alone, keeping in mind that video is handled by the GTX1060 which CPU setup will handle multiple audio transcodes the best?

Riggs

Welcome to the community @@Booitjie
The computer as a server and player, or just as server? What other devices you will gonna use? How many devices at the same time?

Booitjie

Welcome to the community @@Booitjie

The computer as a server and player, or just as server? What other devices you will gonna use? How many devices at the same time?

It's just a server. But hosts some other containers such as Radarr, Sonarr, etc etc.

Playback is to about 12ish devices of which about half will direct play. 

Combination of Android boxes, browsers etc.