The best system and why

igeoorge

BAlGaInTl

As others have stated... It depends.

Personally, I don't like using a computer to perform dual duties (i.e., personal computer and server), so I keep the server separate from my normal desktop. Because of that, I invested some time in learning Linux many years ago. It's stable and free.

I've run my server on multiple Linux distros over the years. Currently, I'm using OMV with all of my applications in Docker containers. I really like the flexibility that it offers. I'm probably going to move to unRaid in the near future for the easy management of drive pools.

So clearly, Linux is best. (for me) :D

igeoorge

Which ones have you used before?

I have already used Ubuntu and Ubuntu Server to see if there is any difference in the graphical interface.
Particularly I did not notice a difference. So I decided to stick with Ubuntu and its interface.
However, Ubuntu in turn had several issues of instability, forcing the power off to reboot
So I am determined to stay with Win 10 pro, for the compatibility of the drivers.

Currently my server is;
i9 9900k
32gb ram
16 tb HD In the 256mb cache

igeoorge

As others have stated... It depends.

Personally, I don't like using a computer to perform dual duties (i.e., personal computer and server), so I keep the server separate from my normal desktop. Because of that, I invested some time in learning Linux many years ago. It's stable and free.

I've run my server on multiple Linux distros over the years. Currently, I'm using OMV with all of my applications in Docker containers. I really like the flexibility that it offers. I'm probably going to move to unRaid in the near future for the easy management of drive pools.

So clearly, Linux is best. (for me) :D

Thank you for sharing.
I admire anyone who knows how to handle Linux. I am particularly surrounded by Windows everywhere, in my clients and in everything I do. It's like trying to speak German in China.
Edited by igeoorge

Gilgamesh_48

I am quite familiar with both Linux and Windows but years ago I made the choice to run Windows (or a subset thereof in some cases) for all my Video streaming needs. The reason is simply support and the availability of tools and the total number of users.

Support is better for Windows because of the fact that the number of Windows users exceed the number of Windows users by such a large factor. Over 90% of users use Windows while less than 1% use Linux.

While there is a lot to dislike about Microsoft but there is also a lot to dislike about the often snobbishness and closed nature of the Linux community.

There is also the simple amount of choice in the application department. This can be both an advantage and disadvantage for Windows.

As far as stability goes I find that both OSs are about equally stable/unstable. Windows has a larger number of problems BUT the percentage of installations with problems is greater of Linux.

I also agree that computers Linux/Windows/Other based should only have one primary purpose. That is servers should serve and do little else. While many computers and software systems are designed to support running many apps at the same time the bumber of possible points of failure increases exponentially for every app running.

As I said I run nothing but Windows for my Emby system and my system is rock solid.

KMBanana

Unraid manages to make a complex set of things (Storage with parity, linux, docker) extremely simple.  

For just the Emby server application itself I'm not noticing a real difference from running it directly on windows, but administering the server and all of the applications and tools on it is a lot more pleasant.  

igeoorge

I am quite familiar with both Linux and Windows but years ago I made the choice to run Windows (or a subset thereof in some cases) for all my Video streaming needs. The reason is simply support and the availability of tools and the total number of users.

Support is better for Windows because of the fact that the number of Windows users exceed the number of Windows users by such a large factor. Over 90% of users use Windows while less than 1% use Linux.

While there is a lot to dislike about Microsoft but there is also a lot to dislike about the often snobbishness and closed nature of the Linux community.

There is also the simple amount of choice in the application department. This can be both an advantage and disadvantage for Windows.

As far as stability goes I find that both OSs are about equally stable/unstable. Windows has a larger number of problems BUT the percentage of installations with problems is greater of Linux.

I also agree that computers Linux/Windows/Other based should only have one primary purpose. That is servers should serve and do little else. While many computers and software systems are designed to support running many apps at the same time the bumber of possible points of failure increases exponentially for every app running.

As I said I run nothing but Windows for my Emby system and my system is rock solid.

I agree that with the amount of applications on a server, the amount of problems increases. I'm running just the Emby-serve and the ccleaner I use to uninstall any application that already comes pre-installed on windows.

Any tips so I can make my windows more stable and solid?

Thanks for taking part in the conversation.

igeoorge

Unraid manages to make a complex set of things (Storage with parity, linux, docker) extremely simple.  

For just the Emby server application itself I'm not noticing a real difference from running it directly on windows, but administering the server and all of the applications and tools on it is a lot more pleasant.  

What do you mean by "noticing difference"?

They say that Windows usually consumes more hardware resources. Do you agree?

KMBanana

What do you mean by "noticing difference"?

They say that Windows usually consumes more hardware resources. Do you agree?

Emby itself runs the same on linux, windows and as a docker container.

Windows definitely uses more hardware resources, but for a home server it's not huge, you just need 1 server with a little bit extra ram than you would need for a comparable linux server.  That's more an issue really for deploying at scale and are setting up 100 servers.  My previous Emby install was running on a gaming PC so it had more than enough CPU and RAM to run windows and Emby.  Similarly my new server is also working as a VM testing/homelab machine so it has plenty of extra resources.  

igeoorge

Emby itself runs the same on linux, windows and as a docker container.

Windows definitely uses more hardware resources, but for a home server it's not huge, you just need 1 server with a little bit extra ram than you would need for a comparable linux server.  That's more an issue really for deploying at scale and are setting up 100 servers.  My previous Emby install was running on a gaming PC so it had more than enough CPU and RAM to run windows and Emby.  Similarly my new server is also working as a VM testing/homelab machine so it has plenty of extra resources.  

Thanks for the answers, my friend.
In my scenario, I'm not transcoding. So my only problem will be in the connection to the internet and with M.2 where is the server?
The goal is to reach the 300 users inside the hotel.

Gilgamesh_48

I agree that with the amount of applications on a server, the amount of problems increases. I'm running just the Emby-serve and the ccleaner I use to uninstall any application that already comes pre-installed on windows.

Any tips so I can make my windows more stable and solid?

Thanks for taking part in the conversation.

I cannot really make any suggestions other than those I already made. My system is about as stable as any multi-computer system can be.

There is one thing that I do that might make a difference to the stability I have and that is about once ever two weeks I power cycle everything. By that I mean everything: My modem, router, switches, computers clients, phone, tablets, smart devices, Echo devices and anything else that connects to my network.

After powering everything off I turn them back on by first turning on the modem and then the router and then switches and then everything else.

I should also note that every device that connects to my network has a reserved IP address. I doubt that makes much difference but it does make troubleshooting, in the rare cases I have problems, easier.

igeoorge

I cannot really make any suggestions other than those I already made. My system is about as stable as any multi-computer system can be.

There is one thing that I do that might make a difference to the stability I have and that is about once ever two weeks I power cycle everything. By that I mean everything: My modem, router, switches, computers clients, phone, tablets, smart devices, Echo devices and anything else that connects to my network.

After powering everything off I turn them back on by first turning on the modem and then the router and then switches and then everything else.

I should also note that every device that connects to my network has a reserved IP address. I doubt that makes much difference but it does make troubleshooting, in the rare cases I have problems, easier.

I understand perfectly. Thanks for the help, buddy. I'll follow in your footsteps.

Riggs

I used Windows for many years. A while ago I decided that enough was enough. In addition to paying for a license, and to that we add that Microsoft uses its "data vacuum" to earn more money with the information that they get from me, even for what I write. No thanks. so it's over.
So, I passed everyone to Linux in my house, even my wife who NEVER in her life had used Linux. She had no problems with the change. My Emby server also went to Linux, and is installed on the computer that I use every day and I keep it on 24/7, because turning it off, it just does not make sense: D

Seriously, I never thought to see my wife using Fedora 29 and Libre Office (real story) LOL

Emby runs awesome in my personal workstation with 8X10TB HDD each, full of media , and that's is one of the advantages with Linux, the server is always there :)

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

I'm evaluating unRaid, and finding this true as well.  It helps that I'm coming from another Linux based system.

OMV is similar, but not as specialized as unRaid. No reason to have a real windowed GUI  on a Linux sever IMHO. A web GUI is good enough.

• 1 year later...
RGoldManning

In my opinion the best and the most known operating system in the  world is Windows of course. Because of its attainability, more than 70% of the computers are running on Windows, that means that most applications, games and other stuff, are made for Windows. Furthermore, it is easy to use, and has a pretty nice design, so why shouldn't it be the best Os in the world. Of course there are some problems, but they could be easily fixed with  different software packs, antivirus programs, some best pc tune up softwares, and then your computer will work almost perfectly.

Edited by RGoldManning

To me it's the OS you know and understand.  Given a choice (I have many), I use windows for running Emby.

It's a dedicated media computer so it doesn't have a lot of programs installed on it so I don't get "application bloat".

It basically contains, Emyb, Drivepool and xMedia Recode, Tech GPUz and Notepad+

sfatula
On 4/11/2019 at 7:56 AM, BAlGaInTl said:

I do the exact opposite, lol. I instead prefer less space and economy of scale. I have around 50 or so things my server does (mariadb server, remote control server, etc, etc), Emby uses maybe 1% of it on a daily basis. For 1%, no need to waste the unused 99%. It's my "desktop" also, but sits in a theater room closet next to my array of disks. I gave up Windows 20 years ago, moved on to MacOS, and a couple of years ago converted to ubuntu Linux and have never looked back. I can do everything I need. All the drivers exist for all hardware, loving zfs filesystem, and, it just works on a daily basis without issues. I built the machine myself. Life is simple. 

But in the end, the advice about it's what you know and understand is likely the best advice, unless you don't mind learning and advancing. It was painful moving from MacOS to Linux as all those file formats and data.... But I developed a plan and executed it. The only remaining piece I have yet to finish is converting my photo collection to digiKam from iPhoto, but I am taking the time to organize them better and do some photo cleanup so that's a long task when you have 40 years of photos. 

The one thing you don't want to do is jump in full bore into a new OS that you aren't familiar with and expecting Emby to work. :)  You'll likely have storage or permissions issues from lack of understanding of "best practices" on the new OS.  If you setup a small test system then you can learn the ins and outs without being under pressure!

• Like 1

pwhodges

I have multiple servers each doing different jobs; but they are all virtual - except the Emby one - and running in a low-end server which has a passively cooled 8-core Atom processor and SSD storage.  They run Windows domain control, all my web sites (including two in different CMSs), Nextcloud for data sharing, a multi-domain mail server, a torrent server, and hosting some forums too.  The host never has to work hard.

Paul

sfatula
17 minutes ago, cayars said:

The one thing you don't want to do is jump in full bore into a new OS that you aren't familiar with and expecting Emby to work. :)  You'll likely have storage or permissions issues from lack of understanding of "best practices" on the new OS.  If you setup a small test system then you can learn the ins and outs without being under pressure!

Sage advice above. The way I do it is I have the current machine, whatever it is, and the new machine that will replace it. Current machine stays until far enough along, then is sold. But it is quite possible they can just add Emby to their existing machine as well. 

I sort of take back I only have one machine (no room for more than 1 really, and the power outlets, and, the UPS, and the...). I use my Asus / Merlin router for some tasks as well. For example, torrent server, as a local copy of my Box cloud that it 2 way syncs via rclone, as local backup space, etc. 

Edited by sfatula