Emby Android Client (phone) Not releasing HDHomerun Tuner

Sam865

Sam865

I have Emby Server running on a Windows 10 computer with an HDHomeRun Prime tuner on my LAN. Invariably, when I use my phone to watch live tv (even briefly) with a WIFI connection to the LAN, the HDHomeRun tuner doesn't release when I'm finished.

Android apps have always had a nasty habit of hanging around when they are no longer being used actively. On my phone, I've tried closing the app using "close all" but the tuner is not released. I've also tried doing a "force stop" of the app and that doesn't release the tuner either. I've only found two ways to release the tuner and neither are an acceptable solution: 1) turn the HDHomeRun tuner off and back on, or 2) stop and restart the Emby Server in Windows. This is problematic if I happen to be recording live tv on another tuner. Is there an easy way in Emby Server to identify and "kill" the android client connection to release the tuner?

Sam865

I can't reproduce the problem today! If I'm watching a live tv channel, there are only two options that I can see for stopping playback, and either option releases the tuner as it should.

Option 1: press the "pause" button on the player control bar, and then press the back arrow in the top left corner to return to the Emby app's home screen.

Option 2: Don't even press the "pause" button—just press the back arrow to return to the app's home screen. (There is no "Stop" button in the player control bar. The back arrow seems to serve that function.)

Today, I even tried to reproduce the problem by starting another app while Emby was still running in the background. When I switched back to Emby and stopped playback properly, the tuner was released. (You obviously fixed the problem just by responding to the topic.) Chalk this one up to neutrino interference or possible operator stupidity.

mezz64

Oddly enough, I also sometimes see this behavior, only it happens for me more with m3u rather than the hdhomerun tuners.  It usually has a much higher chance of happening if there is a hiccup in the stream that for some reason the phone app has a harder time recovering from. 

I usually just use the back arrow to exit without hitting pause first.

I never see the problem using the android tv app, only the phone version.  I'll try to remember the copy the server log the next time I see it happen, but it's intermittent so it can be hard to catch.

I never see the problem using the android tv app, only the phone version.  I'll try to remember the copy the server log the next time I see it happen, but it's intermittent so it can be hard to catch.

Thanks !