Android TV Box Suggestions, Please!

TheVideoMan

TheVideoMan

Hello, so I have switched to emby from Plex, and am pretty happy so far, 

However, there is a flaw and it is the way emby client displays the library all distorted. This happens on our x96 Android TV boxes,

see here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/71303-library-view-problems/

Since this issue cant be fixed we either have to find new devices or switch back to Plex. So I am looking for suggestions on Android Tv boxes that this issue dose not happen with. 

Thanks in advance. 

Gilgamesh_48

Fire TV. Basically Android but a bit proprietary. The Emby client is quite good. I use the Fire TV 4K stick for most of my streaming in my living room.

Shield TV. Probably the best of the Android boxes and the latest Emby client of the Shied is pretty slick. It is my backup client in my living room.

• Like 1

mastrmind11

any device thats an approved Android TV device..  so nVidia Shield or Xiaomi MiBox (the real one, from Walmart).  The shield is the best streamer all around, most will agree, but I also put mi box's in my non-primary viewing rooms.

• Like 1

clarkss12

For the price of an inexpensive microSD card, you can install CoreELEC on your device.  Depending on how  you use it, it may work for you.  CoreELEC will give your Netflix in 720p, Youtube, in HD, (not sure about 4k) and Emby Kodi addon.........  With this setup, you will get HD audio, and automatic frequency changes. ONLY the Shield provides all these items.

Also, have you tried any of the Android TV mods??  

https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905x/others-aml-s905x/firmware-roms-tools-bx/766695-rom-poisonatv-s905w-new-v4-20190317-updated-version-4-2

Edited by clarkss12

TheVideoMan

For the price of an inexpensive microSD card, you can install CoreELEC on your device.  Depending on how  you use it, it may work for you.  CoreELEC will give your Netflix in 720p, Youtube, in HD, (not sure about 4k) and Emby Kodi addon.........  With this setup, you will get HD audio, and automatic frequency changes. ONLY the Shield provides all these items.

Also, have you tried any of the Android TV mods??  

https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905x/others-aml-s905x/firmware-roms-tools-bx/766695-rom-poisonatv-s905w-new-v4-20190317-updated-version-4-2

Thanks for your help, but, yea while I really like kodi for what it is, I find the emby integration cumbersome. 

However I have since tried the latest Jellyfin Beta release of Andriod TV OS App and while not perfect they do seam to have fixed an issue that emby could not, so I think I will test out Jellyfin for a while, and see how I get on, considering the amount of Android TV boxes sold worldwide, I would of thought emby would of seen this as a important fix? (especially considering that Jellyfin managed to sort it) and emby said basically its not there issue. 

any device thats an approved Android TV device..  so nVidia Shield or Xiaomi MiBox (the real one, from Walmart).  The shield is the best streamer all around, most will agree, but I also put mi box's in my non-primary viewing rooms.

Unfortunately the Xiaomi MiBox is not readily available in Ireland, ( Where I am from) in fact its down right impossible to get your hands on a few, but would love to try when it becomes more available. 

Fire TV. Basically Android but a bit proprietary. The Emby client is quite good. I use the Fire TV 4K stick for most of my streaming in my living room.

Shield TV. Probably the best of the Android boxes and the latest Emby client of the Shied is pretty slick. It is my backup client in my living room.

while I do like the Fire TV, unfortunately I find it more than a bit more that proprietary, in Ireland the Amazon TV offerings are beyond crap, and in reality Android is the only option. 

but if you had to pick between Fire TV 4K and Ruko 4k what way would you go? 

But thank you for all the responses, it really doses help. 

clarkss12

I never heard of jellyfins, I'm making the assumption that it replaces emby.

TheVideoMan

I never heard of jellyfins, I'm making the assumption that it replaces emby.

yea I never did either but they just started and are total opensource, and really helpful with support issues. 

Gilgamesh_48
but if you had to pick between Fire TV 4K and Ruko 4k what way would you go?

That is now actually a tough choice now. Up to a few weeks ago the Roku was a pretty clear winner but, with the latest Emby update, I suggest the beta, the Fire has now actually, for me, moved slightly ahead.

While the Roku's flexibility makes a strong statement in its favor the fact that Emby on the Fire can be configured to show a brief synopsis when a show is selected and Emby in the Roku cannot in spite of requests for that functionality, the Fire has become my primary app in my living room.

I should be noted that all the Amazon related crap on the Fire can pretty easily be ignored but it is a bit garish and visually intrusive.

Also the Fire 4K Stick is a whole lot cheaper than the Ultra.

Personally I have both because I like some apps, like the NHL and ESPN, on the Roku more than I do on the Fire but I like Emby more on the Fire.

While the Roku's flexibility makes a strong statement in its favor the fact that Emby on the Fire can be configured to show a brief synopsis when a show is selected and Emby in the Roku cannot in spite of requests for that functionality, the Fire has become my primary app in my living room.

It wasn't done out of spite. There are priorities that have to be done first. It also has to pass review through Emby congress. I have this on our issue tracker that the Roku lacks the popup overlay like the old app used to have. We need to have a cleaner version of this in the new app. The "Info Bubble" option. I agree. You don't have to persuade me the option is needed on Roku. You need to persuade more users to agree with you. There needs to be a reason. Otherwise I cannot present it again and get more traction. I need lobbyists. I need you to be vocal about what changes you feel are important in the Roku app or any Emby apps and help us bring you what you want by giving us your true feelings. You are the inspiration for change. Be inspiring. :)

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48

It wasn't done out of spite. There are priorities that have to be done first. It also has to pass review through Emby congress. I have this on our issue tracker that the Roku lacks the popup overlay like the old app used to have. We need to have a cleaner version of this in the new app. The "Info Bubble" option. I agree. You don't have to persuade me the option is needed on Roku. You need to persuade more users to agree with you. There needs to be a reason. Otherwise I cannot present it again and get more traction. I need lobbyists. I need you to be vocal about what changes you feel are important in the Roku app or any Emby apps and help us bring you what you want by giving us your true feelings. You are the inspiration for change. Be inspiring. :)

My intent was exactly that. I just stated that the lack of any kind of optional info popup is what has cause me to make the Fire stick my primary viewing device instead of the Roku.

I do not understand any resistance to this at all as the Android app has it and has had it for quite a while and the request was presented quite a long time ago for it to be incorporated into the Roku app. It seems to me to just be a part of basic user friendly functionality and it is optional where it exists.

For me it is a major lack in the Roku app.

BTW: I would like in all apps for the info popup to be persistent unless the down arrow is pressed. What it covers, in the apps that have it, is something I almost never need to see.

I do not know what else I can say or do to reinforce my feelings on this as I have said it in several postings.

Guest asrequested

Hey so just a heads up, anybody who uses a cheap Andriod TV box, I swapped to Jellyfins beta and its working.

Looking at the screenshots, the only difference between that and Emby, is the logo. Is that legitimate? Well, I guess they are saying it's built on Emby...

Edited by Doofus

SikSlayer

TheVideoMan brings up a unfortunate point about availability, however this is pretty much the answer right here.

I've spent a lot of time with various Android TV devices and displays with Android TV built-in, and there are very few _official_ Android TV boxes; compared to crap set top boxes with Android on them that aren't certified, and thus fail to do certain things properly or at all. And that's for the platform overall. The various issues that TheVideoMan has been experiencing is probably due to this.

Looking at the screenshots, the only difference between that and Emby, is the logo. Is that legitimate? Well, I guess they are saying it's built on Emby...

It was created from a very old copy of our app.

Guest asrequested

It was created from a very old copy of our app.

I saw that they said they used 3.5.2. Well, I guess you guys are cool with it.

mastrmind11

I saw that they said they used 3.5.2. Well, I guess you guys are cool with it.

dude there was a massive thread about what OSS means and whether that dev group is stealing or not, and whether forking to bypass the paywall is kosher, etc.  you're pretty active here, wonder where you were for that.

Guest asrequested

dude there was a massive thread about what OSS means and whether that dev group is stealing or not, and whether forking to bypass the paywall is kosher, etc. you're pretty active here, wonder where you were for that.

I don't tend to follow much of that stuff. Like the discussion on a close source core. I read some of it, but as it doesn't really affect me, I tend focus my time on the stuff that I can get involved in.

• Like 2

TheVideoMan

Thanks for all the responses.

Id just like to clarify that I am using jellyfin beta app with my emby server, as this has seamed to fix my issues with library view being all messed up. I only point this out as a solution to help other people out who are stuck with a cheap Android "TV" box. 

I know the dev say use a true Andriod TV box but these are not available in the UK. so all we have are the £200 Shield, and as this is just for TV in a bedroom I really don't want to have to fork out that kind money.  

denz

Do we really need the thick vertical line on the whole left side of the screen I just find it odd on the main screen.

I also think the app has too much blue colour and harsh green.

It seems the subtitle and video options above the play button have disappeared and it looks so much better than before and similar to apple tv so well done on that.

I am enjoying this app used it too days and my family likes it so awesome work.

Edited by denz

samuelqwe

Do we really need the thick vertical line on the whole left side of the screen I just find it odd on the main screen.

I also think the app has too much blue colour and harsh green.

It seems the subtitle and video options above the play button have disappeared and it looks so much better than before and similar to apple tv so well done on that.

These are all things that can be changed in the app’s settings. The Android TV app is very customizable.

• Like 1

denz

Thank you I was able to change most things now it is very close to apple tv which just seems to look much nicer like apple tv ihas 16 million colour whereas android tv has far less.

The tvguide colours just do not look nice so hopefully it will be looked at.

Since emby theatre is abandoned devs say it is not but the proof is in the pudding I will now search for android tv box as to my great sadness my wmc htpc is starting to play up and need alternative for my family.

Just wished I could use apple tv but it is not even close to being ready no grid guide no deinterlace so I am only using it to file emby bugs.

denz

First great work on Android TV I have now customised how I like it and it looks really good and it is fully usable. Apple Tv looked better as it displayed logo rather than poster and what do you know there is an option now looks great as apple tv but this one unlike apple tv is usable.. The dark theme looks really nice.

Some improvements option when you select live tv to go guide or go to last played channel. Currently i see an option live tv mode go directly to last played channel but it doesn't do anything.

The green colour that emby theater is better shade of green than on android tv.

On guide to use brighter shade of white and over the whole app i would prefer a whiter shade of white than what we have currently.

For the guide to be revolving so you don't have keep going all the way up again.

To have at least another row of guide data it has lots of empty space i will attach a picture of my wmc.

The record indicator is tiny red circle it should be much bigger so it looks nicer on the screen.

It is missing a delete button that should be next to play button as there is a lot of clicks required to delete tv recordings.

Another item that needs to be looked at if you go to recordings and go to a series click on next up and after you finished watching you click back i would have thought I would be in that episode so i can delete the episode but you are back to the front screen of the series I would prefer to delete the episode and then go back to click next up

Overall I am happy and hopefully the suggestion are taken into account to further improve this app this has restored my view of emby as now roku and android tv are the only tv apps than are not abandoned as Apple tv and theater look abandoned.

Edited by denz

For the guide to be revolving so you don't have keep going all the way up again.

The back key will take you back to the first row.

It is missing a delete button that should be next to play button as there is a lot of clicks required to delete tv recordings.

The delete button isn't missing, correct?  Its just not where you want it...?

Another item that needs to be looked at if you go to recordings and go to a series click on next up and after you finished watching you click back i would have thought I would be in that episode so i can delete the episode but you are back to the front screen of the series I would prefer to delete the episode and then go back to click next up

You go right back to where you came from.  If, instead, you navigated to the episode before playing it, then that is where you would go back to.  Instead, you used a shortcut button to play the next episode from the Series screen so that's where you return.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sammy

^^ on item #2.. Yes the delete button needs to come out of the ... button and be exposed on the screen.

denz

Yes you are correct it is not where I am used to have it. It should be next to play button as it is after play most used button for tv recordings I don’t delete any other content from other libraries.

Explained well this is were it becomes tricky it it was non dvr library I would prefer it for the current way but because it is dvr I would want it to be different as dvr is something you want to delete as you watch. I should have thought about that. It is also one of the reasons I am not a fan of having a separate recordings library outside dvr. In wmc you switch very easily from date recorded to group by name.

Clicking back worked you have thought about which is great still prefer it is revolving but it least there is an alternative way.

WMC guide has so much more rows and they are all clear on the tv whereas Android TV has so much empty space even if I remove the indicatore and see who the record button being bigger looks so much nicer than a smaller it doesn't have to be as many as WMC but I am sure we could squeeze at least two more comfortable. 

5cba70407ce33_Capture.jpg

5cba6fa64ae45_IMG_1332.jpg

This is a recent recording on the right I can see when the recording started that is very helpful information but what would really beneficial is if it had a record series button like WMC does as well as the channel name. This is how in my family go about it a new show gets advertised we find it in the guide press record then go to watch it and if someone in the family likes it they press record series and you are all done.

5cba7569dc20b_IMG_1333.jpg

Just noticed the backdrop is missing Riggs did he get replaced ? 

post-1589-0-10539000-1555722072_thumb.jpg

Edited by denz
  • Like 1