LG or Samsung - best Emby app?

simonselmer

simonselmer

Hi all

I'm about to buy a new TV for my sister, and want to share my Emby content with her.

However it will a TV in the cheaper end.

Does any have a feeling if either LG or Samsung is better to stream content with Emby?

Or are they "any good" at all.

Any experience is much appreciated to make a better decision.

Also if the Amby will even work proper in the cheaper end, or if we might as well concider other client options.

(My dad had a B&O expensive TV which uses LG webOS, and when I was running Plex at that time, the plex app simply didn't work.)

Hi, the emby app is just about the same on both devices so I would just choose the TV that you want.

But also keep in mind our Samsung app is currently limited to the USA, Ireland, and the UK.

simonselmer

HI

I'm in Denmark, so the Samsung limitation was a good piece of info :)

And the LG app doesn't have the limitation I assume?

Is there any function limitation in the LG app, like TV, or anything else?

rbjtech

Also to add, the version of WebOS may have an impact on what will 'direct play' and what will not.  Ideally, you'll want WebOS version 3 and above - which, on a new LG TV, even a lower end model, should be the norm now - but worth checking before you buy.

charlesk

But also keep in mind our Samsung app is currently limited to the USA, Ireland, and the UK.

I'm sure this has been covered before, but why only those 3 countries again?  I'm in Aus with a series 9, is my only option to change region or can I try the web server hosting?

FrostByte

I'm sure this has been covered before, but why only those 3 countries again?  I'm in Aus with a series 9, is my only option to change region or can I try the web server hosting?

The official app is not available for download as it's not considered open source.  The only way to get it is from the Samsung store

charlesk

The official app is not available for download as it's not considered open source.  The only way to get it is from the Samsung store

So these other methods like changing region or a web server hosting won't work either?

FrostByte

Both the Emby Tizen and official Orsay apps are currently only available in the Samsung store if your TV region is Ireland, UK, or the US.  If you don't live in those areas you can change the region on your TV to one of those three and then you can get it from the Samsung store.  

The web server hosting method is currently only supported for the older Orsay third party app (for TVs 2014 and older) which is open source and available on GitHub and thus can be downloaded and hosted on your local web server.  

The official app (both Tizen and Orsay) which I believe is what you're after is not on GitHub though and can't be downloaded that way at this time.

Edited by FrostByte

• 2 weeks later...
someperson

It's pretty terrible right now on 2018 Samsung TVs, because we're stuck with an ancient version of the app (1.0.29) that isn't truly compatible with these TVs. Two major issues specific to these TVs:

• Text labels in many places throughout the app are wrong. For example, buttons often have labels like "Button1" instead of the proper text. Sometimes you have to guess at what you're doing.
  • No sound when playing anything with a DTS track.

On top of that, we have to deal with other issues that are fixed in later versions. Word is that the reason we're stuck with this ancient version is that an overly-strict tester keeps failing the app for dumb reasons. Is he aware of how awful the current experience is? No clue! I'm kind of regretting buying this thing last year though.

Edited by someperson

someperson

We're working on getting a new app update out for 2018, thanks.

I know you are. I'm not blaming you for this mess. It's just flat out insane that some guy at Samsung would be able to deny all newer versions of the app for dumb reasons, while forcing us to use this broken version that dates from September 2017 (before the 2018 TVs were even announced)! This would never fly for a larger company with more clout. I mean, imagine if Netflix were this broken! There would probably be lawsuits. I don't know what Samsung is thinking, but this is no way to treat their developers and customers.

• Like 1