EMBY stops during playback

AJAYS

cptlores

I would suggest updating to Emby Server 4.2. Thanks.

With 4.2.0.40 the web player no longer freeze with a black screen, instead you are now suddenly throw back to the Home screen. And if you resume playback it plays fine for a while and then throws you out again. Typically 4-5 times for a 45min tv episode.

pwhodges

I also saw that behaviour last night (just once, a minute or so from the end). Server 4.2.40 (Windows); Android client.  It happened somewhere around 00:39 in the attached log.

embyserver-63700667705.txt

• 2 weeks later...
jbirmingham40

I am having the same issue although my screen does not go blank it just stops playing.  I am running the latest beta but also tried downgrading to the latest ga release. The problem happens on Safari and Chrome with and without captions enabled.  The attached video snippet should allow you to replicate the issue.  Seems that it has one or more bad frames. Other players seem to skip the bad frames.  The web ui just hangs.  Can't fast forward, rewind, etc.   

a.mp4.gz

• 1 month later...

I guess there hasn't been a fix for this as yet then. I'm also suffering with the same issue, but only to other devices. Streaming to my TV is fine, no issues. But other devices connected via WiFi or remotely will not play even after dropping the quality down to the minimum.

I guess there hasn't been a fix for this as yet then. I'm also suffering with the same issue, but only to other devices. Streaming to my TV is fine, no issues. But other devices connected via WiFi or remotely will not play even after dropping the quality down to the minimum.

@@Hammered can we please look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

• 1 month later...
scharbag

I am also having this issue when trying to play files via Safari or Chrome.  This happens to both local and remote users.  Usually at around 2/3 played, the video will just freeze and will not continue to play.  VLC plays the videos just fine.

Running 4.2.1.0 server on a Windows 7 VM.  Videos are stored on a FreeNAS server and are shared with SMB protocol.  The network shares are mounted in the Emby VM so Emby really does not even know the files are on network drives.

Logs are attached.  Issue happens around 17:25 ish.

If I use my Raspberry Pi, all works well.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-directstream-70fd6a86-103b-4f7b-9dbc-020457fbb5bd_1.txt

Edited by scharbag

jonboyuk

I was about to start a new thread because my movies randomly pause about 45ish mins in. Then will work 5 mins at a time after, unless I restart the server! I'm on an Nvidia Shield, and Samsung TV too... It does the same in either app on WiFi or Ethernet.

Does 4.3 address this?

That type of issue is usually a case of bitrate being too high. You may want to lower the in app quality setting.

jonboyuk

Hi Luke

I would agree in some cases, but it can't be in mine. It's just a 1080p stream, of a relatively small file (it's episodic content.)

Bearing in mind that in the past I've been able to watch an uncompressed 4K stream which equates to a file that's about 60 times bigger than the ones I'm watching, it can't be that. Also when it's started doing this, I can't even get a consistent SD stream through.

It's a Synology NAS->LAN->Shield or Synology NAS->WiFi->Samsung TV.

A reboot of the server fixes it for a few hours of content then does this again. What else could be going on?

Edited by jonboyuk

It's a Synology NAS->LAN->Shield or Synology NAS->WiFi->Samsung TV.

Without knowing the specifics of an example, some guesses might be a hard drive filling up and/or slowing down for some reason or some regular task occurring on the server at the time sapping resources or memory building up on the server to the point of needing to swap it...

• 4 months later...
scharbag

I am still having this issue when watching content via a web browser on my local network.  If I use my OSMC (Kodi running Embycon) everything is fine.  It seems to get to about 75% done a movie and then it just freezes.  Very strange and utterly annoying.

Was the reason that this may be happening every figured out?  There was mention that 4.3 may fix this.  What changed in 4.3?

Next time it happens, I will try to gather the logs.

Cheers,

Next time it happens, I will try to gather the logs.

Hi, yes let's please look at an example. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
aplusm

I figured I'd post this here rather a new thread as it seems to be similar issues.

I can report I've experienced the occasional random playback stopping on multiple devices/apps:

- Web App (macOS, Safari)

- Web App (macOS, Brave)

- iPad app

- Apple TV app

I was initially using Web App on Safari where I've encountered the issue, and then reproduced it on Brave (chromium-based browser). I experienced it on Apple TV and iPad as well, although it seemed less of a common occurrence. Quality/bitrate that I've been using has been set to 'auto', lowering the quality/bitrate did not resolve the problem in my tests so far.

The playback stopping does not happen at a specific point every time and seems to be random, only fixed by refreshing and re-loading the episode (for e.g.). I contacted the server admin to try to extract some logs for this specific point, so may be able to find something concrete there rather than my anecdotal experience.

I figured I'd post this here rather a new thread as it seems to be similar issues.

I can report I've experienced the occasional random playback stopping on multiple devices/apps:

- Web App (macOS, Safari)

- Web App (macOS, Brave)

- iPad app

- Apple TV app

I was initially using Web App on Safari where I've encountered the issue, and then reproduced it on Brave (chromium-based browser). I experienced it on Apple TV and iPad as well, although it seemed less of a common occurrence. Quality/bitrate that I've been using has been set to 'auto', lowering the quality/bitrate did not resolve the problem in my tests so far.

The playback stopping does not happen at a specific point every time and seems to be random, only fixed by refreshing and re-loading the episode (for e.g.). I contacted the server admin to try to extract some logs for this specific point, so may be able to find something concrete there rather than my anecdotal experience.

Hi there, can we look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks !

I contacted the server admin to try to extract some logs for this specific point, so may be able to find something concrete there rather than my anecdotal experience.

So this is not your server?  

• 1 year later...
Kokimoto

Does anyone know how to fix this issue with movies stopping in the middle of playing, it seams that this have been a problem for a couple of years  on emby for what I have red in this forum, and I could not find a fix for it.

For me this happens on any device that I'm using with emby, ROKU TV, SAMSUNG TV, Web App Google, Mozilla, iPhone App, and Windows App.

I notice that many people had summited a log file for this specific issue, since 2019, but this problem continues.

do you guys have a fix for it or not just yet?

17 hours ago, Kokimoto said:

Does anyone know how to fix this issue with movies stopping in the middle of playing, it seams that this have been a problem for a couple of years  on emby for what I have red in this forum, and I could not find a fix for it.

For me this happens on any device that I'm using with emby, ROKU TV, SAMSUNG TV, Web App Google, Mozilla, iPhone App, and Windows App.

I notice that many people had summited a log file for this specific issue, since 2019, but this problem continues.

do you guys have a fix for it or not just yet?

Hi.  In most cases, these types of issues come down to connectivity problems but there is no "one" solution as it isn't really a system fault but some sort of environmental issue in each case.

Can you please start a new topic with details of an example and we can try and decipher what is happening in your case?  Thanks.

• 1 year later...
BillyBane

Hi all,

I had this issue with Emby on Windows for a some time and then I switched to another platform and the issue reappeared. 

After scanning the Windows logs I eventually found that it was the 'unattended sleep' power plan settings in the OS. This is relevant both to Windows 10 and 11. 

Increase the time of the above setting by following the steps here:

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/windows_10_goes_to_sleep_early.html#:~:text=1%3A%20Check%20Sleep%20Settings,to%20whatever%20suits%20your%20needs

I'm not saying this is necessarily the answer for all of you, but its certainly helped me.

All the best.