Best GTX card for Transcoding 9 TV Streams

roberto188

roberto188

Right now I have a Quadro k2000 that can transcode 6 1080i mpeg 2 TV streams to 720p 60fps h264. This pretty much caps out my GPU on the hardware transcoding and my old i5 2500k CPU on the decoding of the mpeg 2 streams.

I recently saw a hack to remove the GTX stream transcoding limitation. My question is, what would be the best value GTX card to DECODE and TRANSCODE 9 streams simultaneously from 1080i mpeg 2 to 1080p 60fps h264?

Edited by roberto188

Guest Borsk179

Let me clarify. It's a Quadro k2000.

Its a decent card but its kind of getting old at this point, but you could go and get newer Quadro card or get a 10 series GTX card would be a improvement if your looking on where to upgrade next to

arche

I've been experimenting (last 48 hours) with my GTX 1070 Ti, with removing the stream restrictions. I have been able to pull 5 transcode streams (HW) without a problem thus far. Seems to be handling it like a champ through Emby. Still experimenting, but looks good thus far.

roberto188

I've been experimenting (last 48 hours) with my GTX 1070 Ti, with removing the stream restrictions. I have been able to pull 5 transcode streams (HW) without a problem thus far. Seems to be handling it like a champ through Emby. Still experimenting, but looks good thus far.

That's pretty good. What it it transcoding? TV, movies? Also is it hardware decoding as well? What is the video engine load? 1080p streams?

arche

That's pretty good. What it it transcoding? TV, movies? Also is it hardware decoding as well? What is the video engine load? 1080p streams?

One was 2160p movie, 3 live tv streams (not sure on the ratio, but I know they were HD channels) and one 1080p movie. Was all doing HW decoding. I didn't have a chance to do more streams as I ran out of TV's, lol. I also didn't have a chance to fully get screenshots of stats, just started the testing of this with emby.  This is the tutorial I used though in case anyone is interested https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/ahf0l1/tutorial_on_setting_up_unlimited_transcodes_for/

Took all of 5 mins to do and a reboot. I know this isn't supported by Emby, so please do at your own risk..

Edited by arche

arche

5caaab80d3fc6_encoding02.jpg

This is one HD Live TV stream, 2 1080p movies (H.265 HEVC both) and one 480p (H.265 HEVC), so far I haven't had any issues removing the restrictions from my Nvidia GPU. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
roberto188

I ordered a GTX 1050ti. Once it finally comes in, I'll do some testing and report back exactly how many TV streams i can properly deinterlace and transcode to 60fps progressive for playback on progressive only devices (aka Rokus). I will dabble with the old Emby where NVENC profiles were selectable and the new server which I believe defaults to medium profile. 

roberto188

Alright well I ended up with a GTX 1060, which has the VOLTA NVENC chip, which is roughly equivalent to the PASCAL chip in the 1050. Anyway, I was able to use the "medium" or default NVENC profile on the version 3 emby server and get 5 1080i TV channels, deinterlaced and encoded @ 1080p 60fps. The card barely ever got over 50% load with all 5 streams. Unfortunately for me, whatever residual work that is required by the CPU for this activities maxed out my i5 2500 at 100% at 5 streams. It was interesting because every stream took up about 10-15% of cpu capacity right up to the 5th stream which then sucked a solid 25% capping me out. My hopes is that upgrading to a i7 3770 will give me some breathing room for more concurrent streams. Anyway, point is, a PASCAL (or in my case VOLTA) NVENC chip is more than capable of transcoding probably close to 10 concurrent TV stations at 1080p and 60 fps.

roberto188

So upon further research it appears the "yadif" filter is still a cpu driven deinterlace filter, so while the encoding was offloaded to the graphics card, the deinterlacing was not. This is why my CPU is still receiving decent load when transcoding.

Edited by roberto188

• 1 month later...

Not only that, decoding to pull out the Closed Captions requires that mpeg2 be decoded on the CPU. This is the only profile I do not offload to my GTX1060 6Gb and if is even encoded to h.264 via HWA. One of these days in my abundant spare time I'm going to do the hack but so far I haven't seen a need to do so yet anyhow.