Transcoding is "squeezing" the aspect ratio

benaus

benaus

Hi All

I am working remotely at the moment so I setup remote access

I have run into an interesting issue whereby when I transcode a particular video it seems to squeeze the aspect ratio

If I change the settings to Auto - Direct it plays fine, but transcoding at 480p 1Mb and the videos squeezes

I have attached logs and photos, the photos are of the same episode

Thanks in advance

Ben

logs.zip

post-177169-0-99762900-1554380141_thumb.jpg

post-177169-0-65468800-1554380192_thumb.jpg

Hi, this is a whole folder of log files. Which ffmpeg log is from the time of this playback? thanks.

benaus

Hi, this is a whole folder of log files. Which ffmpeg log is from the time of this playback? thanks.

I will get the time and log name for you shortly

crusher11

I've had a similar issue. I was watching a DVD-sourced 16:9 movie, and it was working fine. Couldn't understand a line of dialogue, so I switched on the internal subtitles which required transcoding on my LG OLED. The video switched to approximately 4:3, although it could possibly have been 1:1. After the line of dialoge had passed, I turned subs back off and it resumed at the correct 16:9.

I've had a similar issue. I was watching a DVD-sourced 16:9 movie, and it was working fine. Couldn't understand a line of dialogue, so I switched on the internal subtitles which required transcoding on my LG OLED. The video switched to approximately 4:3, although it could possibly have been 1:1. After the line of dialoge had passed, I turned subs back off and it resumed at the correct 16:9.

Can we please look at an example? Thanks !

maegibbons

Specific video, specific TIME, WITH logs.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 1

benaus

Hi @@Luke

I have attached here the FFMPEG logs from the time the video was playing

Please let me know if this is correct or if you need more info from the logs

Ben

Edit: Sorry for the time it has taken, just returned home from lots of rural site visits

transcode_squeeze.zip

Edited by benaus

benaus

Hi @@Luke

I just received a message from a friend who is trying to watch something using the Android Mobile app and the video is not displaying correctly

It isn't the same squeezing issue but it is an issue with video. Audio works fine. Although the video isn't the same as in my original post it is from the same series and the video properties will be the same

I have attached the transcoding logs from the time and also a video he took of the issue

Would you prefer I also post this issue in the Android Mobile section too?

Thanks for the help

EDIT: I received a warning about uploading video files, I zipped the video sample. I hope that is OK

ffmpeg-transcode-7ed04d32-4a56-4d77-97a2-2bc8144b80f4_1.txt

Video Sample of Transcode Error - Android Mobile.zip

Edited by benaus

benaus

Did you verify that the problem occurs with the sample?

It doesn't seem to happen

When I played it through the web player the video played fine

benaus

Is this only happening with xvid avi's?

From what I can see, yes. Although other videos, in the same series for instance, worked fine. I am unsure of the differences but I will attach codec info screenshots for a working file and one of the ones showing this issue. I don't know if this info will help at all but it doesn't hurt I guess  :)

Is there a way to export a CSV of the files codec data so that I can test other videos that have similar specs?

post-177169-0-31309700-1555433315_thumb.jpg

post-177169-0-80242700-1555433320_thumb.jpg

benaus

Do you have any small size files you can provide a copy of for testing?

Hi @@Luke

What size would be small? I can upload to Google Drive or something and provide a link

benaus

I recently updated to version 4.1.0.26

I will test the videos again under this new version

As for the file request @@Luke, I can certainly send some files or upload them to Google Drive and provide a link

I recently updated to version 4.1.0.26

I will test the videos again under this new version

As for the file request @@Luke, I can certainly send some files or upload them to Google Drive and provide a link

That would be great, thanks !

benaus

That would be great, thanks !

I will upload and send you a link via direct message

Is it OK to send the link via direct message? I would rather not post publicly

EDIT: Direct message sent to @@Luke with a link to a video file

Edited by benaus

benaus

If you disable hardware transcoding in server settings, does this still occur?

It appears to be fine when I disable hardware transcoding

Unfortunately I am unable to replicate the same computer that was running on but testing on my home computer through the web app at same quality settings and the video comes through fine

Also, I have updated to the latest server version since posting this

Any idea what the problem could've been?

Could it have been a hardware transcoding error?

@@benaus - please excuse, I'm not sure if I have understood what this is about.

The last topic was like that aspect ratio would be fine without hardware transcoding but squeezed when hw transcoding is active.

Would you be able to create two ffmpeg logs - one for each case, using the same video, same client and same settings (except the disabled hw acceleration for the one side)?

Thanks,

softworkz

• 2 months later...
Loki93

Have the same issue here with 4.2.0.31. It happens with hardware transcoding enabled. Tested with a HEVC coded movie with 16:9 aspect ratio. With hardware transcoding disabled the apsect ratio is just fine (16:9). Attached are some logs.

I have a Microserver Gen10 with Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS (with all the latest updates). Also vaapi drivers installed.

Edit: Just found out that this occures with hardware ENCODING enabled. When using software encoding the aspect ratio is 16:9 as it should.

ffmpeg-transcode-4d9334be-d950-409c-9656-c2190426360a_1.txt

Edited by Loki93