Fire TV - Trial Period on Client

eherberg

eherberg

So -- I hate to be the kid who reminds the teacher that she forgot to assign homework, but ...

I have been trialing Emby (as referenced in my earlier posts) in a comparison vs Plex.  The main TV uses a FireTV Stick.  We do only in-home streaming with no 'users' (only my wife and I using a client on living room TV and a Roku client on the bedroom TV).

It was my understanding after looking at the feature matrix that when the FireTV client trial had expired, I would have to either pay for Premier or pay for unlocking the app (or go back to Plex).

My trial is definitely expired on the FireTV client -- but I can't see any change in functionality.  The app knows it's expired -- but I can play programs on it just fine.

The feature-matrix led me to believe that there would be 'limited playback' (whatever that means).

Is the feature-matrix correct?  Or because I'm only serving up local files during the test, is that covered in basic functionality?

I'm prepared to receive the ire of other users if this has been that way a while and everybody else had the good sense not to point it out.  :-)

arrbee99

I know you said definitely - but its really been two weeks already ?

Sorry, not trying to be contrary, but I though I saw other posts by you, as you mentioned, and it doesn't seem that long ago (I guess time really does speed up as you, or I, get older...)

Edited by arrbee99

eherberg

It's definitely expired.  'Settings' shows Version:  1.6.94a Expired

Hey -- I'm happy to still have more time.  I just thought based on the matrix that the jig was up the first time I opened it after the 2 weeks.  :-)

arrbee99

Oh well, fair enough. As you say maybe what you use it for is still allowed. I should probably stop talking cause I'm only guessing and hopefully someone will appear who knows what they're talking about...

eherberg

Done.  Sent at 8:26PM CDT.  User 'Evan+Anita' logged into the app.

By the way -- my wife just asked what I was doing and has now chastised me ... telling me 'Good Job ... now they'll take the app away'.

I'm a little concerned about my wife's sense of honesty when it comes to impacts that may affect her viewing of 'Touched by an Angel' ... and even more concerned that she doesn't get the irony.  :-)

The app should stop working for you within a week.  I suggest subscribing to Premiere before then :).

Thanks very much for reporting.

eherberg

Just out of curiousity -- was this just a glitch in my particular install?

Or did I somehow ruin it for everybody else -- and should prepare to receive a full slate of PM's from people running expired trials for weeks?  :-)

No one should flog you :).  Your app (and everyone else's) will expire.  It is just staying in trial a little longer than it advertises.

Thanks.

• 2 years later...
Mordrud69

Here we go again open source community.  A few years back most of us were all using Plex to stream OUR media.  Then Plex got greedy and starting demanding money.  So we fled in mass exodus like the Hebrews from Egypt.  Many of us switched over to Emby. It wasn't quite as polished as Plex but it has improved a bit over time.  But, now Emby seems to be doing the same thing.  Jellyfin here we come! RIP Emby.

vdatanet
30 minutes ago, Mordrud69 said:

Here we go again open source community.  A few years back most of us were all using Plex to stream OUR media.  Then Plex got greedy and starting demanding money.  So we fled in mass exodus like the Hebrews from Egypt.  Many of us switched over to Emby. It wasn't quite as polished as Plex but it has improved a bit over time.  But, now Emby seems to be doing the same thing.  Jellyfin here we come! RIP Emby.

Good luck! But keep in mind that Jellyfin's Android TV app is a far cry from Emby's. In fact, it's Emby's 5 years ago.

• Like 1

Mordrud69

Its the never ending battle for cheap bastards like me.  In 5 years jellyfin will probably be as polished as Emby is now and then they will do their customer shakedown for cash and once again we will wander the open source desert looking for a new home.

You know you can just purchase the app for something like $5 or pony up for a Premiere license and rest assured your helping to further development by supporting the team. :)

But if a premiere license is not in the cards it's understandable, but an app purchase costs about as much as a Big Mac or Whopper.  Only you'll still have it 10 years from now vs the burger you scarf down in 10 minutes.  LOL

But whatever you do we wish you the best streaming!

Mordrud69

@cayars oh if the notice is just for a paid app, no problem.  I don't mind buying apps.  one time purchase and I'm good.  I just would balk at any subscription recurring cost for watching my media.  I buy apps all the time.  Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 1