Playlists (movies/TV series)

Glin

Hi guys,

I was wondering if it was possible to modify the way the playlists behave for movies and TV series. I tend to put movies that I plan to see on various playlists (e.g. Own, Family, ...). When you click on one of the items on the list the video starts playing right away but sometimes it better to get a chance to read the summary or see a trailer.

For my use case it would therefore be ideal if selecting an item from a (movies/TV series) playlist would bring you to its Emby site rather than starting playback. 

What do you think? Would such an approach be feasible?

Thanks,

Glin

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Tremas

Have you looked at using collections instead of playlists? When using a collections, you get the exact behavior you are looking for. Find out more here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Collections

"You can also manually create collections based on any criteria you wish manually. The rest of this article will cover the manual process. Collections are generally used to group movies together but can also be used for TV Series and other library content."

Collections are a good idea. We should probably have a way of getting to the media detail screen from a playlist though.

• Like 3

Thanks for your replies. I never thought of using collections for this purpose and this will work. :)

It is slightly less convenient since I have many collections already and would have scroll through them to get where I want but whereas I have only five playlists. I guess I could rename the collections to something like 1Own, 1Family etc so that they will end up at the top of the list, so it's not a big deal.

One other thought: Ideally it would be possible to sync the playlists with trakt and if this was the case then it does make a bigger difference whether I used playlists or collections for my purpose.

• 4 weeks later...

When I was playing with playlists for movies recently, I was also expecting that clicking on a playlist element would take me to the info page. As for using collections in the original poster's use case, I thought there was a big difference between playlists and collections in that a movie can be in many playlists, but only in one collection?

I thought there was a big difference between playlists and collections in that a movie can be in many playlists, but only in one collection?

No, that is not true.  One of the reasons we moved away from file-structure based collections is so this limitation wouldn't exist.  An item can be in as many collections as you wish.

Jens Main

would be great when can mark a collection as "serie". so could have movie series split from other collections

• 1 year later...

I absolutely agree that movies should not start playing right away within a playlist. Clicking on a movie in a playlist should take you to the movie's info page. Simple.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• 1 year later...
horstepipe

+1

there definitely should be some way to see the movie info screen within a movie playlist.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Junglejim
2 hours ago, horstepipe said:

+1

there definitely should be some way to see the movie info screen within a movie playlist.

Yep I totally agree! Emby does not have library access to playlists/smartplaylists, something Kodi has had for a long long time...

This playlist topic is getting really sad! This should be a top priority as far as Emby is concerned!

I see worthless crap like Lyrics for music getting added.. WTF!

Bottles51
On 4/4/2019 at 12:21 AM, Glin said:

Thanks for your replies. I never thought of using collections for this purpose and this will work. :)

It is slightly less convenient since I have many collections already and would have scroll through them to get where I want but whereas I have only five playlists. I guess I could rename the collections to something like 1Own, 1Family etc so that they will end up at the top of the list, so it's not a big deal.

One other thought: Ideally it would be possible to sync the playlists with trakt and if this was the case then it does make a bigger difference whether I used playlists or collections for my purpose.

After you create your collection you could add to your favorites for easy access.

Junglejim
6 hours ago, Bottles51 said:

After you create your collection you could add to your favorites for easy access.

Yep you sure can but it's still in the bog standard music playlist format, totally useless for movies/tvshows. As stated above it's just a basic playlist.. (start here/from here) no library meta when selected, no library integration at all. (view wise that is). Totally sad these devs don't think this as worth there time!