Securing Your Emby Server with SSL for Free Certificate

mobilelawyer

mobilelawyer

I have been trying to follow the instructions from this Wiki https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Secure-Your-Server to secure my Emby server running on a Windows 10 box. Has anyone tried these instructions lately using the free domain services offered by Freenom? I'm hoping so. 

It was relatively easy to set up a free domain with Freenom. I then went to SSL for Free and got two text files to upload to my newly acquired Freenom domain which were to be manually verified. I was able to upload them as directed in the Wiki, but then hit a snag with the SSL for Free instructions which require now require you to either confirm that a folder exists called ".well-known" for as a destination for uploading the files, or if no such folder is located to create one. I could not find any information on the Freenom website regarding the existence of or creation of the necessary "well-known" folder structure to house the test files so that the proper uploading to the Freenom could be verified. Hoping (don't we always) that perhaps "well-known" was the default folder structure that my uploads had been placed, I tried to verify the upload through SSL for Free, and always got a 404 not found return in my browser.

I am hoping someone can lead me to an answer. Thanks in advance. 

Hi, yes that method could still be used. @@Happy2Play, do you have the thread from the windows user who recently posted their experience for lets encrypt? Thanks !

mobilelawyer

Thanks much! I will give that method a try, and hope it resolves the well-known issue. 

Edited by mobilelawyer