Cover art not resizing to fit (Folder.jpg)

unisoft

unisoft

Got the updated ROKU RELEASED version v3.0 build 153.

First thing I noticed is that the folder.jpg cover art for my television series is not being resized to fit the expected portrait frame. On previous versions it was and on LG, Samsung, Web app and Android it still is.

My cover art is carefully cropped for tv historically at 250x150 landsape and been this way for years in Media Browser and previous versions of Emby. It can be resized by Emby usually, to the DVD portrait without much change as it was carefully cropped in the first instance - so it doesn't look "squished". For Movies, I have always used the previous (Media Browser) size of 180x240 portrait and this is unaffected in new Roku version.

I realise the puritans will say don't resize - but that is a user choice. I don't mind it resizing like it always had done!

Can we have an option please to "Show images in native size only"?

I don't know if this puritan view is coming to the other apps but if this is not changed that means a hell of MORE work to do, and Emby is feeling a lot like this at the moment. Changes on versions with no pre-warning. This is a potential user impacting change - it should have been notified in release notes beforehand. Any user impacting changes should be communicated before release in release notes so customer can see what affects them.

btw Good work on the mini TV guide whilst watching TV. 

Edited by unisoft

unisoft

Hi there, can you show a screenshot to demonstrate the issue? Thanks !

I have put red blobs on the programme images and blurred their titles out, but you get the drift. The images are no longer resized in the frame.

Posted pic in next post as forum would not do upload properly when post was edited.

Edited by unisoft

Ok, so basically your posters are not 2:3 and the app is not adapting to that like it should, is that correct?

What is the type of this library?

The problem in the grids is that all items must be exactly the same size so we cannot adapt different items to different sizes.  Based on the type of library, we make a best guess as to the shape of the images.

unisoft

Ok, so basically your posters are not 2:3 and the app is not adapting to that like it should, is that correct?

Yes, but it used to on Roku before last week's new version, as well as the other apps that still do :)

It used to resize the image to fit the grid.

unisoft

What is the type of this library?

The problem in the grids is that all items must be exactly the same size so we cannot adapt different items to different sizes.  Based on the type of library, we make a best guess as to the shape of the images.

It used to resize the image to fit within the grid on Roku before last week's new version. The other Emby apps STILL do this.

The exception with the other Emby apps is that if you add the image meta data editor, it doesn't scale the image but if you just leave to the library scan function only it does. 

All I am saying is if you want this change to a "puritan" view of 1:1 image - then lets please have an option for us to untick "Show native size images only" :)

This is something we can look to improve in the future but keep in mind this type of dynamic behavior is much harder on platforms like Roku than it is on others. You can make things a lot easier for yourself by using 2:3 posters.

Do you mean it used to distort the image to fit in that shape?

That is the behavior we changed because most people did not like the distortion.  Now, we respect the aspect ratio of the image.

unisoft

Do you mean it used to distort the image to fit in that shape?

That is the behavior we changed because most people did not like the distortion.  Now, we respect the aspect ratio of the image.

Yes that's the one. I like it. My images were cropped carefully so they don not look distorted at portrait or landscape. In theory they are distorted as you say but in relaity they look pretty normal. They look 100's times worse now though due to the change.

It was there and shouldn't be taken away unless an option is given to not display native image size. No warnings in release notes for example.

User impacting changes should surely be in major changes not revisions in a version? If they are, usually there are options to enable or disable?

unisoft

This is something we can look to improve in the future but keep in mind this type of dynamic behavior is much harder on platforms like Roku than it is on others. You can make things a lot easier for yourself by using 2:3 posters.

The reason is a large library and historic from MB 2.6.2.

I differentiated TV content from Movies by a  different aspect ratio because not all TV in the UK is on DVD or Bluray so didn't make sense to mimic a DVD case size.

In Emby itself you use landscape images for television though...Suggestions, Episodes, Next up...

As I said this had all been working with resizing in the frame since MB days till (starting) now and I accepted the DVD portrait resize.

Edited by unisoft

We apologize but your situation is very unusual.  In almost all cases a landscape image will look terrible distorted into a portrait shape.

If the layout is 2:3, the app is currently doing the right thing. It should not be stretching or cropping a 16:9 image into a 2:3 slot because you'll barely be able to see the contents.

The fix is that the app should adapt to the images and use 16:9 placeholders instead, however, what I'm trying to say is that this is more difficult on Roku than on other platforms.

unisoft

We apologize but your situation is very unusual.  In almost all cases a landscape image will look terrible distorted into a portrait shape.

They would have been squished into the 250x150 originally a little bit. Basically a crop of a DVD cover then resize. So puting back to portrait again it looks pretty much like it did in the original.

Is this going to be in all the apps - this puritan view? Or will a setting for server admin side enable people to override (it could be a flag in a config file!)?

Or have I got to process 10,000+ images now to resize because the app can no longer do it :(

What is the cover art size these days as 180(w) x 240(h) used to be fine in MB? Bigger the size the bigger the file which means slower when showing loads of them on a screen...

Edited by unisoft

Size doesn't matter, it's the aspect ratio that is important. Movie and Series posters are typically 2:3. If you use something else, we do our best to adapt to that, but it may not be perfected yet on every single platform.

The fix is that the app should adapt to the images and use 16:9 placeholders instead, however, what I'm trying to say is that this is more difficult on Roku than on other platforms.

BINGO! You hit the nail right on the head. The Roku has to use a task thread to fetch the library. Once the library is fetched we use that Library Type to determine which type of card frame to use. Portrait or landscape or square. Then as each picture is loaded from that json into a content node it is assigned an image type that hopefully matches the frame. This is where work was done to make this consistent.

The issue is when you bring in the fetch you have to parse it. We pass to a function that parses it. We pass it the json to parse and at the same time giving it parameters card frame size and other stuff based on the Library Type. We aren't setting card frame based on reading any of the json. This is the misconception. To change it all to read the first entry in the json and see its image size and then base the card frame on that image size is difficult to do. There are sections where the entire logic would need to be rebuilt from scratch. This would eat into time we could spend adding new features.

It isn't that big of a deal right now is the other part I am trying to say. We can eventually fix this it is possible but it would require major changes to a part of the app that every section depends on. That means it would also require more bug testing than normal changes. All of this combined just adds risk to doing this right now. We slow down development of new features, and we potentially cause other problems in migrating our card frame detection. Now I know you understand all this Luke. I just want users to understand how delicate doing something like this is. We cannot make mistakes and doing this now would be a mistake. In the future we can pursue this.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1