TV Guide Navigation Update

BuddahKat

BuddahKat

Just wanted to add my two cents here... while the guide has improved over the years, it still doesn't incorporate what most would consider 'standard' features for navigation. I have over 300 channels and currently the only way to select what I want is to individually scroll through every one. This is quite painful and frankly not what you would expect from software that has put so much emphasis on Live TV. At the very least a 'Page Up / Down' feature would be extremely helpful. Better would be the ability to input actual channel numbers! I recently read in the forums that channel numbers are becoming a thing of the past, which is absolutely insane and doesn't make any sense to me. The expectation to be able to press channel numbers into a remote to navigate TV is pretty standard, especially for 'non-techie' people. Plus if you want to enable voice control for navigation via Alexa / Harmony then having channel numbers is a must. Honestly this has been the biggest issue in terms of me being able to completely transition away from traditional cable boxes. I'm still hoping it gets implemented eventually.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Already have page up and down on android tv, it’s not clear what client you are discussing

But yeah in my view channel numbers are a thing if the past

Edited by Spaceboy

gtmnyc

Just wanted to add my two cents here... while the guide has improved over the years, it still doesn't incorporate what most would consider 'standard' features for navigation. I have over 300 channels and currently the only way to select what I want is to individually scroll through every one. This is quite painful and frankly not what you would expect from software that has put so much emphasis on Live TV. At the very least a 'Page Up / Down' feature would be extremely helpful. Better would be the ability to input actual channel numbers! I recently read in the forums that channel numbers are becoming a thing of the past, which is absolutely insane and doesn't make any sense to me. The expectation to be able to press channel numbers into a remote to navigate TV is pretty standard, especially for 'non-techie' people. Plus if you want to enable voice control for navigation via Alexa / Harmony then having channel numbers is a must. Honestly this has been the biggest issue in terms of me being able to completely transition away from traditional cable boxes. I'm still hoping it gets implemented eventually.

BillOatman

Already have page up and down on android tv, it’s not clear what client you are discussing

But yeah in my view channel numbers are a thing if the past

How do you page up and down?  I have a shield, are you using something else?

BuddahKat

I primarily use Emby Theater, but also have have Xbox One and Roku clients as well. None of these have 'Page Up / Down' capabilities or the ability to input channel numbers.

You can input channels number by navigating to #and and type what number you want

Not sure what the '#' command is, I don't see that anywhere in my client...

...and Roku clients as well. None of these have 'Page Up / Down' capabilities 

Use the FF/Rew buttons on your Roku remote to move the guide a page at a time.

• Like 2

BillOatman

Use the FF/Rew buttons on your Roku remote to move the guide a page at a time.

Should shout that from the rooftops.  The Roku is so slow in the guide that this is a huge help! :)

BuddahKat

I don't believe many users would agree that Emby Theater and Xbox One are 'outdated' devices...

BillOatman

I mean rokus are..

Look at the sales and you might think otherwise.  For a not-heavily-used TV with no sound system, and it's price point, I'll take it every time. 

Works great except for the Emby grid guide scrolling.  Tried the paging last night and it worked like a champ.  Makes it much less painful.

Spaceboy

How do you page up and down? I have a shield, are you using something else?

yep shield with a harmony remote. Chan up and chan down are the buttons you want
  • Like 1

richt

Thanks for the tip on the Roku. Very helpful.  By the way the Roku Ultra and Emby are a great combination.  

As far as i can tell Page Up / Page Down doesn't work in the Windows Emby Theater app TV guide. Seems to work in libraries, but only if the cursor focus has been moved to one of the library files.  Took me a while to latch onto that.  

BuddahKat

Yeh I really wish they would implement these features in Emby Theater for Windows. I can understand PageUp/PageDown and numerical input for channels not being practical for some devices that don't have these keys on their remotes, but Windows uses a keyboard, has every key imaginable... what's strange is that many of the keyboard shortcuts that Windows Media Center uses have already been implemented into ET and work great. I've never understood what the issue has been for not expanding to include number keys, seems pretty straight forward and obvious to me.

• Like 1

Many devices also support CEC and I'd think it hard to not find a TV remote that doesn't have number keys as well as full media control keys.  So these types of features would be immediately available to many users if supported.

• Like 1

Yeh I really wish they would implement these features in Emby Theater for Windows. I can understand PageUp/PageDown and numerical input for channels not being practical for some devices that don't have these keys on their remotes, but Windows uses a keyboard, has every key imaginable... what's strange is that many of the keyboard shortcuts that Windows Media Center uses have already been implemented into ET and work great. I've never understood what the issue has been for not expanding to include number keys, seems pretty straight forward and obvious to me.

I really want this also, in order to use Theater as my go to media app.

• 1 year later...
rbknox

Jumping in here as an emby newbie.   I am starting to use emby therater on windows 10.   Using standard harmony remote /media center format, I do not see any way to navigate the tv guide, short of scrolling.   With a combination of Comcast cable (1000s of channels) and OTA in the lower hundreds, this can take a very long time.   In most guides I have used, entering a channel number on the remote (like you would on live tv) takes you directly to that number in the guide.  Any reason why this wouldn't be a good enhancement to the guide?

14 hours ago, rbknox said:

Jumping in here as an emby newbie.   I am starting to use emby therater on windows 10.   Using standard harmony remote /media center format, I do not see any way to navigate the tv guide, short of scrolling.   With a combination of Comcast cable (1000s of channels) and OTA in the lower hundreds, this can take a very long time.   In most guides I have used, entering a channel number on the remote (like you would on live tv) takes you directly to that number in the guide.  Any reason why this wouldn't be a good enhancement to the guide?

Hi there, yes we are planning on adding these guide features in upcoming updates. thanks for the feedback.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
mike3821

Love to have the ability to cycle through channels with up and down... plus have a recall button to return to the last channel. A much used feature.