Awesome improvements to Roku app

AmericanMike

AmericanMike

All,

Looks like there was an update to the ROKU application recently which improved the interaction with live TV.  I just wanted to send out a big THANK YOU!!!  

Having one touch recording is nice but the biggest, coolest funciton is the on screen guide while the show is still playing.  All seems to work as expected.

I love it.  Thanks again for improvements and the quality you have put into it.

One thing however, I didn't see any announcement for this or mention of it in my Server Dashboard.

Mike

• Like 2

More improvements in the LiveTV area are coming. You will definitely notice the improvements without us mentioning them. That is the hope. This is why we usually don't make annoucements for the Roku app. There have been Roku announcements when we need to address users and make it known what these new features are. But usually it is the hope that users get to discover these and we aren't spoil that discovery by telling them about these new features immediately. If we told you right off what they were it ruins this interaction we are having right now. It takes away the magic. After a period of a few weeks goes by there may be an annoucement to explain these new features. This gives users a chance to discover these themselves and give us feedback without us having to tell them where to look. Thanks for noticing. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

BillOatman

More improvements in the LiveTV area are coming. You will definitely notice the improvements without us mentioning them. That is the hope. This is why we usually don't make annoucements for the Roku app. There have been Roku announcements when we need to address users and make it known what these new features are. But usually it is the hope that users get to discover these and we aren't spoil that discovery by telling them about these new features immediately. If we told you right off what they were it ruins this interaction we are having right now. It takes away the magic. After a period of a few weeks goes by there may be an annoucement to explain these new features. This gives users a chance to discover these themselves and give us feedback without us having to tell them where to look. Thanks for noticing. :)

To be honest I'd rather be told.  For example I read in a thread here a couple days ago that on the remote you can press FF and REW buttons to page scroll in the guide.  I wish I had known that a LOT earlier.

• Like 2

To be honest I'd rather be told.  For example I read in a thread here a couple days ago that on the remote you can press FF and REW buttons to page scroll in the guide.  I wish I had known that a LOT earlier.

We do normally put out blog posts for new updates with significant features.  This announcement has just lagged a bit.

Thanks.

unisoft

Changes that impact user should always be called out, like changes to way images displayed and not resized and the fact the A to z picker changed layout from horizontal to pages :)

But yes excellent work on TV, really great stuff. Sd channels showing mpeg2 interlaced and HD channels showing avc mpeg4 interlaced were shown 100% correctly on my Roku Stream Stick v9 with direct play from HD homerun quad tuner.

The channel logos could be resized a little smaller but this area is still better than the LG app. Love the TV guide whilst watching TV and saw improvement between 50 and 55 builds.

Roku come miles in space of me first using it to build 55. Quite bullet proof now. Well done, just need Emby server to add channel renumbering now...

Edited by unisoft

unisoft

We do normally put out blog posts for new updates with significant features. This announcement has just lagged a bit.

Thanks.

Along with the promised release notes of the LG 1.0.15 release. You guys really need to address this. You need to sing those changes out :)

Along with the promised release notes of the LG 1.0.15 release. You guys really need to address this. You need to sing those changes out :)

Hi. the blog post went out earlier today.

Thanks.

denz

Great improvements will try them out. One item that is very noticable and looks much nicer in Apple Tv is you have subtitles, video and audio under a settings button while in android tv and roku they are above the play button it will look so much nicer and less clutterd if it is under a settings button rather then being spread out.

Great work of implementing mini guide.

Edited by denz

Great improvements will try them out. One item that is very noticable and looks much nicer in Apple Tv is you have subtitles, video and audio under a settings button while in android tv and roku they are above the play button it will look so much nicer and less clutterd if it is under a settings button rather then being spread out.

The feedback we received was that people wanted quick easy access to these before playback instead of having to go to a different place to set them.  Apple TV is the only app that still has them hidden behind a button and that is just because we are limited in what we can do currently in that app.

denz

Good on apple they now something about design it just so much nicer without that line.  I can't recall not sitting in front of Apple tv but in theatre they are all in settings like subtitles to me that is much better location than having to change all the time.

Great work on the app tried it yesterday watched a recording and it looks really good. If only Roku is able to speed up the live tv it is strange that it is slow is it device limitation I didn't think that roku have memory but it looks like they do since it takes a while to start live tv it must be doing something in that time.. 

Are there still plans to implement the chapters menu during playback?

Yes.

• Like 1

awdspyder

I have to second the title of this thread - this is excellent work, guys.  From the ability to select the video and audio format prior to playback, to the stats for nerds, to the improved guide, the Roku app is far and away better than it was a year, or even six months ago.  One additional thing I did notice, EBR, is that you guys bumped the max bitrate for Roku to 110 MB/s.  In a previous thread I mentioned that the new Lion King UHD would not play due to exceeding the 80 MB/s bitrate limit previously imposed, due to is average bitrate of 82 MB/s.  After the latest update, I can now confirm that this title plays back flawlessly on my TCL 55P605 and looks spectacular.

I have to say, I chuckled to myself earlier this evening and thought, this must be a little bit like the feeling of owning a Tesla.  Though I'm an old-school turbo 4-cyl guy (you know you're getting old when a turbo 4-cyl from the 90's is now old school), I still can't help but get a little jealous when Tesla owners realize performance improvements from an OTA update on the same hardware they initially purchased.  On both my TCL 55P605 and LG OLED, each iteration of the Emby app just continues to get better and better. In fact, I wasn't quite yet an Emby convert when I bought these displays, but the server and apps have matured so much that I just cannot imagine an alternative at this point.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I've worked in IT for 20 years, with a ton of devs, and I'm constantly impressed with your responsiveness and attentiveness to you customers' needs.  Bravo!

Edited by awdspyder

Okay.. How about once a week I will make a new post that explains a new feature we have added and how to fully make use of it? Just one feature, and just one post a week mind you. Each week another, another, etc.. Not the simple you can find these features yourself stuff. Some of the more opaque features. Like where button presses used make a difference.

When does the PLAY button differ from OK? On an item directly pressing play implies a desire to play the item. This will bypass the detail screen and skip right into playing that item. Press OK implies you want to know more about the item or you would've pressed PLAY. So we bring you into the detail screen.

We can make use of the "rewind 30 seconds" button. They call it instant replay on Roku. That button only gets taken by Roku when you play video. On other screens we could use that button for other things. In the future we may.

So in the future I will post a new thread each week that explains a new feature or some obscure feature not many may be using or even know they can use. Watch for these posts. In fact this post is one of those posts cleverly disguised. I just addressed the PLAY vs OK difference on the remote.. lol

I will make a point to explain some of the nuances to using the app. We already do make use of wrapping every screen, every item, everything we can. Anything that doesn't let you scroll to the bottom and back to the top or from the top to bottom we likely had issues making that happen. Everything that can should wrap left->right right->left top->bottom bottom->top. Everything that can does wrap. Button presses minimal. Did you notice the new audio/subtitle selectors wrap? the alphapicker wraps? The sort by/order/filter menu wraps? The poster grid wraps? So much wrapping it is like Christmas.

The idea is no matter how hard the work is on our side the work on your side to use the app should always be simple, minimal and no hassle. If it takes us 4 hours to code something just to make it so you can wrap one part so be it. If it saves 1 button press to wrap then we spent that time. There are no corners cut anymore. You will notice this as we get further into refinements and enhancements in the app. It will be clear there is thought put into the design. You will be happy. 

• Like 1

Primetime

This is the best i have ever seen emby on my tcl and roku ultras. Thanx!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Primetime

This is the best i have ever seen emby on my tcl and roku ultras. Thanx!!!!!!!!!!

We strive to be the best on Roku. That is the goal. Thanks for the helping us get there. We need your feedback about issues and where we need to do better as well as where we exceed your expectations. Without that barometer we feel out of touch with users. So thank you for making use of the app. :)

• Like 1

390x99xdsa

As one of the most strident critics of Emby, I have to say that the recent updates especially to the Roku app are top notch and much appreciated.  Love the stats for nerds and also much much thanks for changing the sub-optimal olive green background on the guide to a nice neutral gray.  The much improved performance of the guide when scrolling pages is also much appreciated.

• Like 1