Subtitles folder

Juubeii

Well it's only for videos that are in their own folder. It's not really for episodes that are all combined into a season folder.

• Like 1

Travis Runyard

Trying to delete this post

Edited by Travis Runyard

• 6 months later...

the subs folder works fine IF the subs are matched by movie file name. But there are many cases the subs folder only contains .srt files that has the language in the name but not the movie file name. As this subs folder is part of the movie folder. But Emby does not recognize those subs. If I change one sub manually to match the movie file name, it does work. It there any way that Emby could recognize those Language.srt subs? Or renaming it to match the movie file name?

subs.png

• 1 year later...
cnwinger

Having the same issue as Heval detailed above.  Any chance of recognizing subtitles in sub folders that are named as shown in the above screenshot?  It seems to be a common naming format.

13 minutes ago, Heval said:

@Lukeocould you please comment on this issue?

We already support both subs and subtitles folders underneath movie folders.

The subtitle file naming rules still apply though and the files need to be named appropriately based on our subtitle naming guidelines, but we could potentially relax that for this scenario.

cnwinger

Thank you for the info.  I think it makes a lot of sense to allow for the selection of any .srt file within the subtitle folder, as a lot of movies do not have subtitle files that match the video filename.

• 2 months later...
tophDoggy
On 5/13/2020 at 10:15 AM, Luke said:

Well it's only for videos that are in their own folder. It's not really for episodes that are all combined into a season folder.

Is there a way to add subtitles folder from a season?

15 hours ago, tophDoggy said:

Is there a way to add subtitles folder from a season?

Can you please provide an example? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
aarongardner17

I think this thread might be the best place for this as seems related to the above question.

1. TV series downloaded with a Subs folder.
  2. The Subs folder contains folders named after each episode.
  3. Within each folder being a long list of subtitle files with just the language name.

Emby can't seem to find the subtitles unless I manually pull out the one I want for each episode and rename it to have a matching filename.

Any suggestions within Emby or for a tool or script to do this automatically?

image.thumb.png.20e892365e5cbebe97fde26d9056beed.png

GrimReaper
18 minutes ago, aarongardner17 said:

I think this thread might be the best place for this as seems related to the above question.

3. Within each folder being a long list of subtitle files with just the language name.

Emby can't seem to find the subtitles unless I manually pull out the one I want for each episode and rename it to have a matching filename.

Only method 1. is supported, with subs named as matching filename, subs/Subs subfolder with only language name ain't.

Similar discussion here:

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aarongardner17 said:

image.thumb.png.20e892365e5cbebe97fde26d9056beed.png

Hi, that's currently not supported. What software created that?

aarongardner17

Unsure on software as was a download. It seems to be the default for webripped TV series torrents from RARBG however.

I managed to automate renaming with bulk rename utility as a workaround.

• 2 weeks later...
cnwinger

Wouldn't it be easier to just have Emby load any .srt file in a "subs" or "subtitles" folder? 

Edited by cnwinger

18 minutes ago, cnwinger said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just have Emby load any .srt file in a "subs" or "subtitles" folder? 

HI, yes that is something we could look at doing. Thanks.

Mookdog
On 6/2/2022 at 5:48 PM, Luke said:

HI, yes that is something we could look at doing. Thanks.

I just ran into this issue with a tv show I got today. All eps and I had to download a seperate subtitle pack. When I unzipped that pack I had a subs folder with all the wide assortment of languages. This feature in emby would make it a heck of alot easier seeing as we wouldnt have to rename the subs to reflect the name of the episode. Same with movies so long as there is a .srt file it should pick it up.

Mook

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
lillrazor
On 05/07/2022 at 04:21, Luke said:

We'll take a look at it. Thanks.

Hi, a question to this as I am new in the Emby world. So if I have as an example a tv show file in: TV Shows -> How I Met Your Mother -> Season 1 -> how.i.met.your.mother.s01e01.720p.hdtv.x264.mkv

Then for the subtitle:
TV Shows -> How I Met Your Mother -> Season 1 -> subs -> how.i.met.your.mother.s01e01.720p.hdtv.x264.srt

That would work if I only have 1 video and 1 subtitle? As it is now I have in this example 22 episodes right in the Season 1 folder and then 22 subtitles in the subs folder. All names are matching, but I still can't make it show the subtitles when trying to play it.

GrimReaper
39 minutes ago, lillrazor said:

As it is now I have in this example 22 episodes right in the Season 1 folder and then 22 subtitles in the subs folder. All names are matching, but I still can't make it show the subtitles when trying to play it.

Why don't you just take them out of subs folder? 

lillrazor
13 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Why don't you just take them out of subs folder? 

I could of course do that for all my shows and seasons. It would just have been more convenient if it could have played all of them from the subs folder as that works for movies, as my tv shows srt files also contain the correct matching name to the mkv files, so it is not really the same problem as some have when they have many different languages and the files doesn't match the mkv file name.

• 2 months later...

This thread seems to somehow stay alive.

I have a question concerning the naming of the folder for subtitles.

I run Emby in docker on a linux machine, and I would very much appreciate if the "subs" folder that emby looked inside could be made case-insensitive. Or at the very least look in both "subs" and "Subs".

I know someone posted a script for lowering the  case for all subs folders. However that will only resolve the issue at a given moment. What I'd like is a more permanent, or perhaps a more user-friendly, non-user-intervention focused solution.

I suppose I could just migrate Emby over to a windows client which seems to solve it for people in this thread, but I really like the small footprint of running in a docker container.

Thoughts?

Edited by Gnisch