Subtitles folder

Juubeii

Juubeii

Hi,

I switched from Plex to Emby recently and I have one issue. With Plex I was using Subzero and Bazarr for getting my subtitles and both were downloading them in a folder named 'subtitles' in the same location of my video files. And Plex detected them but Emby doesn't. Anyone knows if emby has an option for that? I really dont want my subtitles file in the same folder than my video file and neither in my server's metadata folder.

Thank you.

Juubeii

And another issue here with the same video file, it contain closed caption subtitle and again Plex detect it and Emby not, any clues why? Here is a screenshot from my Plex to show you the closed caption (Unknown (EIA_608)) and the English (SRT External) located in the "subtitles" folder mentionned earlier.

post-442674-0-59372500-1554040942_thumb.png

Regarding the closed captions, can you provide a sample video for testing? thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes we can look at supporting the subtitles folder in a future update, thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Travis Runyard

I know this thread seems like it's dead, but why/how has this not been implemented yet? A vast majority of the time when a film rip is released by YTS, RARBG, ETRG or other primary suppliers, the subtitles will be in a subdirectory called "Subs" or "Subtitles" and never the root. Recursively ingesting srt/sub files within each video directory would be a nice option to have. I understand not everyone has the same directory structures, so adding this as a library option instead of a forced feature by default seems like a legitimate suggestion.

* I just realized this was posted under General/Windows, while this feature request should probably be architecture independent. @@Luke, if this would be better off in another channel please let me know.

Edited by visualblind
  • Like 1

Travis Runyard

If you have movies in their own separate folders, then this has been implemented now.

Thanks Luke, I see it in the 4.2 release blog. I'm not sure if it's intended but non-beta releases like 4.2.1 is missing from the FreeBSD download page at https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html. I do see 4.2.1 for FreeBSD 11/12 https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/tag/4.2.1.0.

Non beta freebsd releases are installed via freebsd ports like the instructions indicate. It may take a little time for the new update to get released to freebsd ports.

Travis Runyard

Non beta freebsd releases are installed via freebsd ports like the instructions indicate. It may take a little time for the new update to get released to freebsd ports.

I've updated to 4.2.1.0 and have used the 3 options available to re-scan the library, however it is still not detecting subtitles in media subdirectories.

Here is the hierarchy, hopefully it displays properly on here:

./Vanilla Sky (2001)/
├── Subs
│   └── Vanilla.Sky.2001.1080p.BluRay.H264.AAC-RARBG.en.srt
└── Vanilla.Sky.2001.1080p.BluRay.H264.AAC-RARBG.mp4

What else do you suggest I check? One more issue I notice so far is that the remote control cog 5d51fea8406db_Screenshotfrom201908121704 to the right of the progress bar no longer works. Nothing happens when I click it while a video is playing on a remote (EmbyCon Kodi). Started working all of a sudden, more than a full day after I rebooted devices involved.

My log file can be viewed here if you're interested (non-prod so I don't mind it being public, set to expire in 30days) https://paste.proxy.sh/?694fb668716211c6#CvQ+xbXxc/pBlAT5G6FX51WD1SibtLYuzs6JEUz2q1s=

It's 17MB worth of text so be prepared for your browser to hang for a moment while it loads.

Thanks.

Edited by visualblind

Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play are you able to reproduce?

Had no issue adding "subs" folder to a movie folder and it being recognized.

5d5307c0da30b_subs.jpg

Travis Runyard

Had no issue adding "subs" folder to a movie folder and it being recognized.

Strange, could it be something with case sensitivity or ZFS?

OxbtS0i.png

r7yez65.png

Happy2Play

Unless it is a OS issue I didn't have a issue adding "Subs" folder either. 

5d5314e8356f4_subs2.jpg

Windows 10

Even tested files named different then folder like visualblind's examples.

@@Luke could it have anything to do with the "unknown" in created as shown in images in post 16?

Travis Runyard

@@Luke could it have anything to do with the "unknown" in created as shown in images in post 16?

I don't believe that is the issue. As far as I know this is natural for Linux to not be able to retrieve the file creation time on remote filesystems (st_birthtime via stat system call in BSD), and even locally on its own. Looks like whatever creation times we do see is actually the inode modification time in Linux. Emby picks up new video files just fine, so by that logic it shouldn't be an issue. I'll just deploy a new install from scratch and report back if it's still an issue or not, and in either case I'm leaning towards it being a strange issue particular to my setup. Emby itself in a BSD jail also doesn't have to traverse a "remote" mounted filesystem to access the files like I do on my laptop, they're both on native ZFS.

"The POSIX standard only defines three distinct timestamps to be stored for each file: the time of last data access, the time of last data modification, and the time the file status last changed."

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/91197/how-to-find-creation-date-of-file

Getting smarter every day around here...

Happy2Play

I guess one test would be create a new Movie folder and put a couple items in it then create a new Movie library within Emby and see if it makes a difference.

Travis Runyard

I guess one test would be create a new Movie folder and put a couple items in it then create a new Movie library within Emby and see if it makes a difference.

@@Happy2Play Good thinking, four eyes really are better than two, especially without sleep. I'll try that once I regain my sanity.

@@Happy2Play, sorry I must be having a blind moment, but what do you mean exactly?

I believe the issue is casing. We are looking for folders with lower case names, and on linux that will make a difference.

Travis Runyard

I believe the issue is casing. We are looking for folders with lower case names, and on linux that will make a difference.

@@Luke You were correct after-all, and your one-hundred-thirty-four-thousand posts on here tells me I should not be surprised.

It looks like it's only looking for lowercase directories with these two exact names: subs, subtitles

It won't even detect subtitles in directories with the following names: sub, Sub, SUB, Subs, SUBS, subtitle, Subtitle, SUBTITLE, Subtitles, SUBTITLES.

On the instance of 4.1.1.0 that I in-place upgraded to 4.2.1.0, I was not able to get the subdirectory-subtitle detection to work like it does on a new 4.2.1.0 instance. That included creating new library that contained only a single film with a subdirectory name of 'subs' and 'subtitles'. I'm not sure if it's only me, or everyone whose using this in a non-Windows environment that also takes the same upgrade path. May not want to hear it but I also tested on Jellyfin and doesn't seem to be capable of any subdir detection at all.

This may help those in the same situation. Whoever uses it take off "-n" from rename to perform the rename/case transformation:

find . -mount -depth -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 3 -type d ! -empty \( -name 'sub' -o -name 'Sub' -o -name 'SUB' -o -name 'Subs' -o -name 'SUBS' -o -name 'subtitle' -o -name 'Subtitle' -o -name 'SUBTITLE' -o -name 'Subtitles' -o -name 'SUBTITLES' \) -exec rename -n -f -v 's/(.*)\/([^\/]*)/$1\/subs/' {} \;

Sorry forgot how long that one is, here's the shorter ver

find . -mount -depth -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 3 -type d ! -empty \
 \( -name 'sub' -o -name 'Sub' -o -name 'SUB' -o -name 'Subs' -o -name 'SUBS' -o -name 'subtitle' \
 -o -name 'Subtitle' -o -name 'SUBTITLE' -o -name 'Subtitles' -o -name 'SUBTITLES' \) \
 -exec rename -n -f -v 's/(.*)\/([^\/]*)/$1\/subs/' {} \;

*** I wanted to add, for those of you who have an earlier version than Emby 4.2.1.0, the following script should help you move subtitle files out of their respective subtitle directory up one level to its movie directory if your structure is like this:

/mnt/path/to/video-movies
├── Movie
│   └── Subs

find /mnt/path/to/video-movies -depth -mindepth 3 -maxdepth 4 -type f \
-ipath '*/sub*' \( -iname '*.srt' -o -iname '*.sub' -o -iname '*.idx' \) \
-execdir mv -v "{}" ./.. \;

You may need to run it a few times to "walk" the subtitle files up if you have nested subtitle directories ( ie: movie > subs > srt > subtitle_file.srt ), but it should get the job done.

Edited by visualblind