Empty Folders Showing Up

kaladinsb

BobbyDing

I can see the difficulty in automating a hide function that covers all use cases. How about (as a temp workaround) adding a manual hide/unhide a show folder on the server only. Basically Emby dropping in and removing a .ignore into the show folder when you check and uncheck the option. It's not as nice as fully automated, but at least you can temporarily hide unused folders of your choice. Then also maybe there could be another selection to tell Emby to unhide automatically if a new show file appears within the folder(s)?

I'm guessing this would not be user specific.

Or would this not work?

Edited. .ignore was what I meant to say.

Edited by BobbyDing
  • Like 1

I can see the difficulty in automating a hide function that covers all use cases. How about (as a temp workaround) adding a manual hide/unhide a show folder on the server only. Basically Emby dropping in and removing a .file into the show folder when you check and uncheck the option. It's not as nice as fully automated, but at least you can temporarily hide unused folders of your choice. Then also maybe there could be another selection to tell Emby to unhide automatically if a new show file appears within the folder(s)?

Or would this not work?

Hi, we already support this via ".ignore" files.

daedalus

I can see the difficulty in automating a hide function that covers all use cases. How about (as a temp workaround) adding a manual hide/unhide a show folder on the server only. Basically Emby dropping in and removing a .file into the show folder when you check and uncheck the option. It's not as nice as fully automated, but at least you can temporarily hide unused folders of your choice. Then also maybe there could be another selection to tell Emby to unhide automatically if a new show file appears within the folder(s)?

Or would this not work?

so you suggest an option as temp workaround for an option ?

and we don't want an automated version of anything, we just want a manual switch to decide

• 3 weeks later...
daedalus

any decisions made upon this?

it's really annoying, especially for auto organize purpose, and nearly "everyone" posted here wants to be able to see them again

• Like 2

The current behavior allows us to support more non-standard folder structures than we were able to before, so that's why the change was made.

LqHnyBear

This also appears to affect upcoming in tv shows if they have no prior episodes/season folder, they won't show up in upcoming either until an episode is downloaded. The program I use to fetch my shows creates a file called tvshow.nfo. Could you just look for that file or understand that if it's in a tv series library, it's a tv show?

• Like 3

daedalus

The current behavior allows us to support more non-standard folder structures than we were able to before, so that's why the change was made.

i still don't get this, but ok than for gods sake make it a f*** option with a warning, that when activated recognition of "non-standard folder structures" is limited

by not supporting both i think you are sacrificing more than you gain, but what does i know :angry:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
daedalus

so i managed a way to over come this ignorace

just place an empty textfile named S01E01.strm file in any series that you want to keep visible

but keep in mind, if you use the auto organize plugin, place the strm file in the same structure you want your episodes get sorted in, cause if the structures differ, emby silently ignores the stetting of the plugin and mimics the one on the filesystem

• 3 months later...
MBSki

Luke, can a feature be added to the auto organize plug-in to delete empty folders in a main library? I don't want to use auto organize to copy or move files from a "recorded" directory. I just want to do clean up on the empty folders left behind when I delete the last episode of a show from within an app. I've tried to do this by setting my watch directory to the same directory as my tv show library, and checking extended clean, but it doesn't get rid of the empty folders. I'm assuming that's because it only applies to files that it's actually moved, not just any random empty folder. 

Luke, can a feature be added to the auto organize plug-in to delete empty folders in a main library? I don't want to use auto organize to copy or move files from a "recorded" directory. I just want to do clean up on the empty folders left behind when I delete the last episode of a show from within an app. I've tried to do this by setting my watch directory to the same directory as my tv show library, and checking extended clean, but it doesn't get rid of the empty folders. I'm assuming that's because it only applies to files that it's actually moved, not just any random empty folder. 

It would be a great option for a community contributor to add to AutoOrganize:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.AutoOrganize

Thanks !

• 9 months later...
CBers

@LukeAn old thread I know, but any chance of having a user option to be able to see empty shows please?

As you have it now, actors in shows that are hidden, don't have that show associated to them. 

In the new search functionality, I can't search the NCIS shows in my library, as they are currently empty. 

Empty shows also do not show up in the upcoming list, if it is empty. 

Would be nice to have the option of showing empty show folders or not please. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

It's not an easy throw-in. Some things are going to have to be reworked first, but yes we can get to this.

daedalus

so just to wrap this up, first you willingly removed empty folder support completely, instead of just adding an option to hide them, jsut because some users cried, cause they see sth that is actually present on their filesystem, then refused for 2 years to bring it back or change anything and now one comment on a resurrected thread is enough to confirming to change everything back to what was there in the first place?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Happy2Play

I ensure the Series/Show has a Specials or Season X folder to allow the empty Shows to remain.  Same for adding New/future Shows.

• Like 3

CBers
On 25/10/2020 at 01:29, Happy2Play said:

I ensure the Series/Show has a Specials or Season X folder to allow the empty Shows to remain.  Same for adding New/future Shows.

Thanks H2P, that seems to be a workaround until @Luke adds an option. 

• 4 weeks later...
CBers
On 25/10/2020 at 00:22, Luke said:

It's not an easy throw-in. Some things are going to have to be reworked first, but yes we can get to this.

What sort of timescale for this please Luke? 

In the current beta cycle? 

Thanks.

• 2 years later...
CBers
On 25/10/2020 at 00:10, CBers said:

@LukeAn old thread I know, but any chance of having a user option to be able to see empty shows please?

As you have it now, actors in shows that are hidden, don't have that show associated to them. 

In the new search functionality, I can't search the NCIS shows in my library, as they are currently empty. 

Empty shows also do not show up in the upcoming list, if it is empty. 

Would be nice to have the option of showing empty show folders or not please. 

Thanks. 

On 25/10/2020 at 00:22, Luke said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is there any update on this please @Luke?

Looking for new season episodes for certain shows in Upcoming, but nothing shows up as they are currently empty, such as Doctor Who.

I do have shows that have content in Upcoming that don't start until March 2024, so I know it's working as it should.

I'd just like to include all shows, whether they are empty or not, in Upcoming, especially Christmas Specials.

Thanks.

Edited by CBers

1 hour ago, CBers said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is there any update on this please @Luke?

Looking for new season episodes for certain shows in Upcoming, but nothing shows up as they are currently empty, such as Doctor Who.

I do have shows that have content in Upcoming that don't start until March 2024, so I know it's working as it should.

I'd just like to include all shows, whether they are empty or not, in Upcoming, especially Christmas Specials.

Thanks.

What empty folder is showing up  that you would prefer to be hidden?

CBers
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

What empty folder is showing up  that you would prefer to be hidden?

You have it the wrong way around.

If I have an empty folder for a TV show, i.e. there isn't a season folder or any episodes, then that show doesn't appear in the TV library.

That's OK, although rather annoying, but it then extends to the Upcoming screen where future episodes of the TV show aren't listed due to the TV show folder being empty.

I would like to see Upcoming episodes of all TV shows, whether the current folder is empty or not.

This would also be the case for any new TV shows, where just the TV show folder exists.

Sorry if I wasn't clear originally.

8 hours ago, CBers said:

If I have an empty folder for a TV show, i.e. there isn't a season folder or any episodes, then that show doesn't appear in the TV library.

That's OK, although rather annoying, but it then extends to the Upcoming screen where future episodes of the TV show aren't listed due to the TV show folder being empty.

I would like to see Upcoming episodes of all TV shows, whether the current folder is empty or not.

This would also be the case for any new TV shows, where just the TV show folder exists.

Right there needs to be at least some content for the series, either an episode or season.

DarWun
10 hours ago, CBers said:

What I've been doing to get around this issue is creating an empty folder for the next Season in each series folder as soon as I've finished watching the current season. By doing that, the Upcoming list populates for the new episodes as soon as TVDB is updated to include the episodes.

One thing I've noticed with the recent changes is that Specials now show up in the Upcoming list. I have an empty folder for Doctor Who Season 14 in the main series folder for when Season 14 starts airing next year. I noticed over the weekend that the three new specials that start airing this weekend are in the Upcoming list. That was pleasant surprise. I don't recall the past specials for Doctor Who showing up in the list until they were physically in my library.

Edited by DarWun
  • Like 1

CBers
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Right there needs to be at least some content for the series, either an episode or season.

Why? You have a TV show stored in the database, which has a valid TVDB/IMDb number, so you just need to process it like everything else. 

This has been a bugbear of mine since empty folders were hidden. 

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

CBers
1 hour ago, DarWun said:

What I've been doing to get around this issue is creating an empty folder for the next Season in each series folder as soon as I've finished watching the current season.

I know how to get around the issue, but I shouldn't have to. 

• Like 1