Empty Folders Showing Up

kaladinsb

notla49285

So my original post disappeared into the ether...

Can somebody please explain what the auto organise plugin actually does?? There are no details on the plugin page, nothing on the GitHub repo, no wiki, no reference in the Emby wiki, and the only posts I can find on the forum are others asking what it does.

And has this issue of empty folders actually been changed in 4.1? As I can still see them in mobile and web apps??

CBers

Can somebody please explain what the auto organise plugin actually does?? There are no details on the plugin page, nothing on the GitHub repo, no wiki, no reference in the Emby wiki, and the only posts I can find on the forum are others asking what it does.

"Auto-organize your media files"

And has this issue of empty folders actually been changed in 4.1? As I can still see them in mobile and web apps??

I have a few TV shows that have no season folder or episodes and they do not appear in my TV library list, so I would say it was, well, definitely in the beta server.

notla49285

"Auto-organize your media files"

Yes, I saw this. It doesn't answer the question.

I have a few TV shows that have no season folder or episodes and they do not appear in my TV library list, so I would say it was, well, definitely in the beta server.

It works for films and it works as you've described when a TV show has no seasons, but it doesn't work when there is an empty season, it will show the series then no episodes within it.

Cue "but that's what it should show!" - debateable. The biggest issue with this is TV recordings. When the last episode of a season is deleted, either that season folder should be deleted or Emby should ignore it and therefore not display it.

• Like 1

CBers

What do you mean it works for Movies?

Do you have empty movie folders? If so, why?

notla49285

What do you mean it works for Movies?

Do you have empty movie folders? If so, why?

I don't usually, I was just testing, my biggest problem is TV recordings

CBers

my biggest problem is TV recordings

This change won't help if Emby doesn't delete the season folder.

daedalus

Yes, I saw this. It doesn't answer the question.

it literally does what it says ;)

Cue "but that's what it should show!" - debateable. The biggest issue with this is TV recordings. When the last episode of a season is deleted, either that season folder should be deleted or Emby should ignore it and therefore not display it.

no it should not, cause you deleted an episode and not a season

we should able to show every empty tier or hide them

Edited by daedalus
  • Like 1

notla49285

I can't believe I'm going over this for the third time, so I'll try make it simple.

"Auto-organize your media files" - Create folders? Rename folders? Rename files? Move files? Move folders? Change metadata? Create collections? Fix images? What does it do??

I don't know what actual changes went into 4.1 to handle this empty folder business, I give up trying to find out. Basically, when I delete the last episode of a particular season, I would expect not to see that season again and possibly TV show until a new episode from that season is added. It doesn't matter how this is achieved, but it's a confusing issue for end users.

Spaceboy

I can't believe I'm going over this for the third time, so I'll try make it simple.

"Auto-organize your media files" - Create folders? Rename folders? Rename files? Move files? Move folders? Change metadata? Create collections? Fix images? What does it do??

I don't know what actual changes went into 4.1 to handle this empty folder business, I give up trying to find out. Basically, when I delete the last episode of a particular season, I would expect not to see that season again and possibly TV show until a new episode from that season is added. It doesn't matter how this is achieved, but it's a confusing issue for end users.

move files, let’s say from a downloads folder, to right place in the respective library
  • Like 1

This wasn't directly done and there are still some cases where empty folders could show up.

CBers

This wasn't directly done and there are still some cases where empty folders could show up.

So what was the change then, as I have empty folders that don't show up.

Is a fix, or an option coming soon, as this is causing great confusion for people that have stumbled across the change?

• Like 3

Series folders need to have either season folders or episode files. If they have neither then they will not be detected as a series.

But you could still have a series folder with empty season folders.

CBers

Series folders need to have either season folders or episode files. If they have neither then they will not be detected as a series.

No you don't.

I recall something along those lines sometime last year, but it was resolved in the end.

Davide

Kodi allows to show empty series, Emby for Kodi allows to synchronize empty series, but... Emby does not manage empty series. Even the Auto Organize plugin works worse without empty series. Why is this step backwards? This is a serious lack for Emby in my view. It was necessary to add an option to hide the empty series from the webui, do not remove them for everyone.

Emby does not manage empty series.

This is the correct default behavior, because there's no way to know if an empty folder should be considered a series or not. But as I said, options are always  possible for the future. thanks.

CBers

This is the correct default behavior, because there's no way to know if an empty folder should be considered a series or not. But as I said, options are always possible for the future. thanks.

Read post #40 please.

daedalus

thats super inconvinent cause to have the season folder correctly survive, you have to delete episode by episode

from your reaction I see, again, this will never be an option and we have to live on

The problem is that if the library scan makes assumptions about empty folders, then we will not be able to accommodate non-standard folder structures.

daedalus

This is the correct default behavior, because there's no way to know if an empty folder should be considered a series or not. But as I said, options are always  possible for the future. thanks.

sure you can cause this now empty folder already have been a series

and by the way the library type also defines this, just don't assume it on mixxed folders, and problem solved

i agree that you can't consider that a freshly created empty folder in a mixxed library is a series if you wont be fixed on a mandatory structure, but in a tv library you can

even if no one ever claimed this

Edited by daedalus

notla49285

The problem is that if the library scan makes assumptions about empty folders, then we will not be able to accommodate non-standard folder structures.

Then don't accommodate for them, it's not hard to get folders organised and from what I'm told there's a plugin that can do it for you anyway.

daedalus

Then don't accommodate for them, it's not hard to get folders organised and from what I'm told there's a plugin that can do it for you anyway.

i don't agree

i want as much freedom as possible and that the user can decide how it works, but that's simply not how emby devs want it, and we have to live with it cause they wont move back in our direction

CBers

If a series folder is in a TV library, the chances are that it is a TV show :rolleyes:

• Like 2