Empty Folders Showing Up

kaladinsb

kaladinsb

I have some folders in my TV folder that don't have any actual episodes in them but the shows still show up in the TV listing. Is there a way to not show empty folders when using the app or website?

kaladinsb

Lets say in my TV folder, I have an empty folder called Doctor Who. The show Doctor Who will be visible in Emby web interface but with no episodes in it. I have the Nfo metasavers option turned, not sure if that is causing the issue.

• 4 weeks later...
Davide

Why??

Why not? It would be enough to leave the possibility as an option...

Shows the empty TV series can be useful (also Kodi manages the empty TV series, for example).

• Like 2

notla49285

Why not?

Because it's a bug and it's been a pretty annoying one for most people for a while, but there have been more important things to fix first.

I'm sure it can be added as an option but I think it'll be a while tbh.

• Like 1

daedalus

Why not? It would be enough to leave the possibility as an option...

in the emby world it needs only one man to completely get a feature removed, but a screaming mob with torches and pitchforks to get an option

and this would never change

empty series are now also hidden for the auto organize plugin

Edited by daedalus
  • Like 4

daedalus

Because it's a bug and it's been a pretty annoying one for most people for a while, but there have been more important things to fix first.

I'm sure it can be added as an option but I think it'll be a while tbh.

tbh this is just cosmetics and not a bug, cause you actually have an empty series on your filesystem and that should be visible

now you have things on your filesystem that can't be seen and are hidden even for some useful actions like auto organizing

Edited by daedalus
  • Like 1

CBers

I would like to see my empty TV series as before, is it possible?

Yes, so would I.

I didn't even know this was a thing.

Must have missed it in the Release Notes.

Can we have any option to show/hide empty shows please.

• Like 3

denz

There should be a button to show/hide them but not remove them. 

It can be improved like not to have a play button when it is empty and having a record series button would be useful. 

• Like 2

FrostByte

Not sure why this was ever changed.  You could previously just place an .ignore file in an empty folder if you didn't want to see it.  Now people who have empty folders and want to see them have no options.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Excluding-files-&-folders

The OP should have been pointed to the wiki, but instead we lose the ability to configure things

• Like 3

notla49285

Not sure why this was ever changed.  You could previously just place an .ignore file in an empty folder if you didn't want to see it.  Now people who have empty folders and want to see them have no options.

The OP should have been pointed to the wiki, but instead we lose the ability to configure things

The .ignore file would be useless for TV recordings as the user would constantly have to add it, remove it, add it, remove it, etc, at which point they may as well just delete the folder manually.

Let's remember the original problem of this post, TV episodes have been recorded, then viewed, then deleted. We end up with an empty folder but don't want it deleted because it will be used for future recordings, but we also don't want to see it in the media browser either as it can be confusing for users.

CBers

Surely the main developer, @@Luke, would know about this, seeing as he coded it.

There are no Release Notes for this change, so @@Luke needs to announce what's changed.

FrostByte

There's also the option to hide using Windows explorer if you don't like the ignore file.  At least you had options.  Now those who don't like this don't have any options

Easy fix: like mentioned before have an option to hide empty folders in "user" settings.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

notla49285

We're not talking about being able to see the folders in Windows Explorer, and I'm not complaining about seeing a .ignore file, we're talking what shows up on the Emby apps for the end users. Say I had a folder called "Game of Thrones\Season 08", and that had metadata for the series but no episodes within it, the end user would be browsing Game of Thrones, see Season 8 in the media browser, open it, only to be shown a blank screen (as there are no episodes). I don't know about others but this confused my users and annoyed the hell out of me.

Aside from that, I've just actually checked this, and I can still see blank series folders on the web app, so I don't know what the **** has changed or what we're even arguing about to be honest, the communication for this latest release has been poor we can all agree on that.

Edited by CBers
Removed expletive !!

notla49285

Easy fix: like mentioned before have an option to hide empty folders in "user" settings.

Where?? Or are you asking for this feature?

Edited by notla49285

FrostByte

In user settings?  It's not there now, but that's what should have been done to please both crowds.

notla49285

In user settings?  It's not there now, but that's what should have been done to please both crowds.

Agreed

• Like 1

Spaceboy

in the emby world it needs only one man to completely get a feature removed, but a screaming mob with torches and pitchforks to get an option

and this would never change

empty series are now also hidden for the auto organize plugin

so much this.
  • Like 2

FrostByte

Preferably IMO the default would be to show empty folders so that people don't question where their folders are if they are new.  Then if someone like the OP doesn't want to see them because they are constantly removing and adding recordings and think it looks wrong they can go into user settings and hide them.

• Like 1

CBers

Preferably IMO the default would be to show empty folders so that people don't question where their folders are if they are new.  Then if someone like the OP doesn't want to see them because they are constantly removing and adding recordings and think it looks wrong they can go into user settings and hide them.

Yes, that makes sense.