Vu+ Plugin no TV streams

raymondjpg

raymondjpg

I would like to use the Vu+ Plugin for LiveTV. The back end is a Beyonwiz U4 with a reliable RF signal.

I can see the guide and program information, but all I see is a spinning circle when I try to launch a TV stream. Refreshing the guide in the Server Web interface makes no difference. No TV stream.

I also tried NextPVR as a backend which uses a Hauppauge USB tuner with a not so reliable RF signal. Same issue: I see the guide and program information but only a spinning circle when trying to launch a TV stream.

I would prefer to use the Vu+ plugin if I can get it to work. Any help would be appreciated. Emby Server log attached.

embyserver.txt

Edited by raymondjpg

raymondjpg

Hi, that's strange. I don't see anything obvious here. Was there an ffmpeg log?

I couldn't find one anywhere in my system drive, certainly not in the Emby-Server directory in userdata.

raymondjpg

The problem is outlined and resolved in this thread https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/68431-emby-theater-desktop-live-tv-spinning-circle-on-multiple-machines/. If an external player is configured in Theater then LiveTV does not work. If the external player is deleted then LiveTV works.

Reasons for using an external player in Theater are enumerated. I concur with them, and add that my HTPCs and IR remote control are all configured around using an external player for both Emby Theater and Kodi.

My preference would be to have LiveTV working alongside an external player on Emby Theater, but unless and until the issue is resolved I prefer to retain the external player and uninstall the LiveTV plugin from Server.

Regards

Edited by raymondjpg

Ok so what you're saying is that other apps such as the web app are fine. Is that correct?

raymondjpg

Ok so what you're saying is that other apps such as the web app are fine. Is that correct?

I only use Emby Theater desktop and do not use other Emby applications, To answer your question the user howzz1854 reported in the first post of the thread I referred to earlier https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/68431-emby-theater-desktop-live-tv-spinning-circle-on-multiple-machines/ :

"when i watch live TV directly from the web interface it works. but just doesn't work in Theater Desktop app. i can't and don't want to use the web app."

raymondjpg

Thanks. I don't see a response yet to that topic, but have to say that I also have some concerns that any problems with Emby Theater Desktop configured to run with an external player that arose with recent updates to Emby Server, may have been overlooked or neglected. Even if Emby Theater inbuilt player were equipped with madVR and LAV filters there are other reasons, largely to do with convenience as well as functionality, that I would prefer to continue to use an external player. In my opinion the flexibility of use of external players, and ability to promote use of one or other external player through the Configurator, made Emby for WMC so attractive to use. I would never have chosen to use the inbuilt Windows Media Player in Emby for WMC over the ability to run an external player, and as it stands, the same with Emby Theater. Neither would I have any use for the Emby web app in my HTPCs.

It would be much appreciated if any issues that have arisen recently with use of an external player in Emby Theater could be addressed as a matter of priority.

Regards

Edited by raymondjpg

• 3 weeks later...
raymondjpg

Update to Server Version 4.1.0.26 has not resolved this issue. Live TV does not work if an external player is configured in Emby Theater. Program information and EPG are unaffected.

raymondjpg

But it works with the internal player?

As far as I know. I do not use the internal player (see 3 posts up).

Regards.

I pushed a small update that might make a difference. I have no trouble setting up vlc as an external player for live tv.

raymondjpg

I pushed a small update that might make a difference. I have no trouble setting up vlc as an external player for live tv.

I couldn't find the update, but will test when I do. I only use PotPlayer and MPC-BE as external players currently, as they can both deploy madVR and LAV filters, have both kept abreast of developments with Windows 10 and can run stably in that o/s.

raymondjpg

Just try restarting the app. Thanks.

With the small update Emby Theater takes much longer to load the EPG or Program Information compared to before, and there are still no live TV streams - only the spinning circle.

I have tried this with both the Vu+ and NextPVR plugins. With the NextPVR plugin I get an error message "No Compatible Streams are currently available..." which I do not see with the Vu+ plugin.

Unfortunately Live TV is no longer working even with no external player configured in Emby Theater. Previously it did, so things are now somewhat worse than before the small update.

I am working with production releases of Emby Server and Emby Theater, not beta releases, and Emby Theater desktop from the Emby download page not the Microsoft Store. The tests I conducted are on a technical PC running Windows 7 Professional which also hosts Emby Server i.e. Emby Server and Emby Theater on the same PC. The Vu+ plugin uses a Beyonwiz T2 PVR and its inbuilt tuners as the back end, the NextPVR plugin uses an installation of NextPVR and a Hauppauge USB tuner on the technical PC.

raymondjpg

Nothing about the epg changed. Please attach the emby server log .thanks.

I think the attached server log covers my testing of the plugins.

Regards

Log.txt

If you look at the server log, all requests to the vuplus server are timing out. Are you sure it is configured correctly?

raymondjpg

If you look at the server log, all requests to the vuplus server are timing out. Are you sure it is configured correctly?

Bit of a saga, but it appears that Emby Theater Desktop is now working with the Vu+ plugin, and invoking the external player PotPlayer 64 bit.

1. Repeated attempts to connect to the Vu+ server appeared to have locked it up and it needed to be rebooted.

2. I was eventually able to get Live TV to work with the Next PVR and then Vu+ plugins, with no external player configured.

3. It appears that the Vu+ plugin still needed the Hauppauge USB tuner to be added as a TV source for Live TV to work.

4. I then tried the NextPVR plugin again and found that it was no longer working, with or without an external player configured. No idea why.

5. However I then found that the Vu+ plugin configured with the Hauppauge USB tuner was working with PotPlayer 64 bit configured as an external player in Emby Desktop. Moreover the Live TV stream was playing in the external player, looked to be able to capable of timeshifting, and was displaying teletext as subtitles. All of this is good news, as long as the setup is stable.

Having Live TV working in Emby Desktop with an external player configured is much appreciated, but I still don't know why the NextPVR plugin stopped working. Perhaps swapping backwards and forwards with the Vu+ plugin, and between internal and eternal players in Emby Desktop, was difficult for either Emby Server or Desktop to accommodate. I would also have preferred to have Live TV work from with the PVR's internal tuners when using the Vu+ plugin, rather than the Hauppauge USB tuner which has a relatively weak RF signal. It appears that the Vu+ plugin cannot work without the Hauppauge USB tuner.

Just as an aside, something consumed all free space (127 GB) on my system disk SSD overnight, but was cleared on logoff/logon. I wondered if it might be Emby Server log files at AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata. Most log files there are less than a megabyte, but I have two extra large files there from this morning at 178 MB and 748 MB.

Regards

If you have a Hauppauge and your'e on windows then i would just use our native support. By running this through a plugin you're just adding additional layers of complication, and more possible points of failure. I would really only suggest using them to fill in support for devices we don't natively support.

raymondjpg

If you have a Hauppauge and your'e on windows then i would just use our native support. By running this through a plugin you're just adding additional layers of complication, and more possible points of failure. I would really only suggest using them to fill in support for devices we don't natively support.

Thanks for that advice. I will look into it, but one of the reasons I was hoping to use the Vu+ plugin was because that plugin in Kodi can not only access the EPG from the Vu+ server but can also utilise the inbuilt tuners in the Vu+ server.

Am I right in thinking that the Emby Server Vu+ plugin cannot work in my system without the Hauppauge USB tuner?

I also found that while the Vu+ plugin configured with the Hauppauge USB tuner worked with PotPlayer 64 bit configured as an external player in Emby Desktop on my host machine i.e. Emby Server, Emby Theater and Hauppauge USB tuner on the same PC, it still did not work in Emby Desktop in a client PC running Windows 10. Again, would that be because the client PC could not access the Hauppauge USB tuner on the host (server) PC?

pünktchen

Am I right in thinking that the Emby Server Vu+ plugin cannot work in my system without the Hauppauge USB tuner?

You are totally wrong. The Vu+ plugin and any of Emby's own tuner sources have nothing in common.

raymondjpg

You are totally wrong. The Vu+ plugin and any of Emby's own tuner sources have nothing in common.

Perhaps I should rephrase. Can the Emby Server Vu+ plugin access the inbuilt tuners in the Vu+ server box?

pünktchen

Perhaps I should rephrase. Can the Emby Server Vu+ plugin access the inbuilt tuners in the Vu+ server box?

It should. But it was developed by a community member long time ago and rarely get's updates, so maybe it's broken.