Possible issue with Mac OS 10.14.4?

AZRichG

AZRichG

Here's an odd one- just updated to 10.4.4 yesterday. Emby recorded everything as usual last night which includes The Late Show 1080i MPEG2VIDEO, black-ish 720p MPEG2VIDEO and Conan from TBS (I have since deleted so I don't know the stats).

The Late Show played locally for 3 or so seconds and just stopped. It wouldn't start up again. So I went back to Emby home page, exited Emby, started up again with the same results. The episode did play fine to my iPhone and AppleTV. 

The Blackish episode played locally without issue for about 22 seconds and started doing the same thing.

Looks like ffmpeg is eating up a lot of CPU %, so maybe this is an issue there? After a few minutes ffmpeg disappears from my activity monitor but the episode doesn't play.  

I'm guessing this is happening because I upgraded, but there's always the possibility that my recent upgrade to 10.4.4 is a coincidence.

Are there logs that would help in this matter? I think this is an appropriate one.

Blackish?.txt

AZRichG

Last night's recording of The Late Show is doing the same thing. 

It plays for 40 seconds and stops, if I try to skip ahead it will not play. I waited for the transcoding to finish (red line on the Active Device portion of the dashboard page opened in a separate window). Still hung at 40 seconds. Interestingly the counter on the pane showing my browser goes from 40 to 48 by 2 second intervals, then back to 40. I tried skipping ahead and the same behavior happened - 1:10 to 1:20 by 2s and then back to 1 minute 10 seconds. The displayed video didn't change from the stuck image at 40 seconds.

5c9cdcea6f3b9_ScreenShot20190328at074017

• Like 1

AZRichG

I think this related to skipping ahead- just played a 720p recording fine for about 15 minutes, then I skipped ahead (hitting the >> about 4 times) and had the same thing happen.

So for grins I went back and The Late Show is playing past 40 seconds with no issues (I didn't try skipping anything yet). I'll just let it play to see what happens.

Edit- yup, it played through fine when I didn't try to skip ahead. Maybe a coincidence, who knows. 

Edited by AZRichG

AZRichG

To follow up on this (guess I'm alone on this one!)-

I have had more success using Firefox in playing recordings for some reason. Safari is the browser that's gumming up. Didn't have this much of an issue before the latest OS release, at least that's my recollection.

Weird but at least I can play stuff now. 

AZRichG

Luke-

Yes, but that's all I have bee trying to play- Emby recordings from the HDHR Prime. Haven't tested it with other file types.

Is it even a possibility that this is a Safari issue? My understanding is limited here but I didn't think the actual browser was involved much in playback. 

Thanks for the reply!

AZRichG

Sure Luke-

Played a 720p MPEG2VIDEO recording just now. Started okay, skipped ahead 2x using the >> okay but on the third hit of the >> it stuck. Went back and selected the file again, tried to resume and it is still not budging. 

Tried a 1080i file, first >> caused a stall. I can hear my fans spin up on my iMac but that's prolly normal. 

Does that help at all? Seems very odd to me!

Ok, right now nothing obvious jumps out, but we'll have a new release any day now so I would suggest re-evaluating with that once available. thanks.

• Like 1