Emby Server Crashing

Kimballslice1890

Kimballslice1890

After updating to the new 4.x platform of emby I have been experiencing APPCRASH for embyserver.exe

Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.24214

Locale ID: 1033

Every time I check the server, I have anywhere from 1-10 of these windows open. The EmbyServer.exe seems that it restarts itself after the crash. But I suspect that it causes a lot of random hangs on my server and when I try to load the my emby home page, it will load half, I will terminate the app and re open and then it will all load.

This is all coming in conjunction frequent database cleanup errors (I don't have any in my alerts right now after restarting my host machine the last night so I cannot provide the exact error).

Also after every restart or startup of Emby server after the latest update it will redirect me to a page saying it is "updating the database" and this takes I'd say anywhere from 5-20 minutes every startup.

I am running this on a Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual machine on VMWare Workstation. Any ideas on what could be going on? Would it be best to start fresh on a new VM? If so, how would I go about migrating my server and configuration? (I have many specific and optimized settings with a pretty decent local user base)

rbjtech

My personal view is to install fresh and then restore just the user data and configuration. 

If you have a configuration backup using the Plug-In (Assuming you are on premier here) - then simply do a restore of the user data and configuration within the plugin once you have a fresh system.  If you don't have the plugin - then it is possible but you'll need a SQL tool to do it.

Once this is restored, then Metadata will of course need to be rebuilt (using a scan) - so could take some time depending on how much media you have and any custom metadata/artwork will not be automatically re-downloaded, so be wary of that.

Fire up a 2nd VM and have a play, your v3 database appears to be corrupt, so fixing it is probably more hassle than it's worth seeing as you need to go to v4 anyway.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

Kimballslice1890

My personal view is to install fresh and then restore just the user data and configuration. 

If you have a configuration backup using the Plug-In (Assuming you are on premier here) - then simply do a restore of the user data and configuration within the plugin once you have a fresh system.  If you don't have the plugin - then it is possible but you'll need a SQL tool to do it.

Once this is restored, then Metadata will of course need to be rebuilt (using a scan) - so could take some time depending on how much media you have and any custom metadata/artwork will not be automatically re-downloaded, so be wary of that.

Fire up a 2nd VM and have a play, your v3 database appears to be corrupt, so fixing it is probably more hassle than it's worth seeing as you need to go to v4 anyway.

how do I go about restoring the backup files from backup and restore?

Happy2Play

After updating to the new 4.x platform of emby I have been experiencing APPCRASH for embyserver.exe

Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.24214

Locale ID: 1033

Every time I check the server, I have anywhere from 1-10 of these windows open. The EmbyServer.exe seems that it restarts itself after the crash. But I suspect that it causes a lot of random hangs on my server and when I try to load the my emby home page, it will load half, I will terminate the app and re open and then it will all load.

This is all coming in conjunction frequent database cleanup errors (I don't have any in my alerts right now after restarting my host machine the last night so I cannot provide the exact error).

Also after every restart or startup of Emby server after the latest update it will redirect me to a page saying it is "updating the database" and this takes I'd say anywhere from 5-20 minutes every startup.

I am running this on a Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual machine on VMWare Workstation. Any ideas on what could be going on? Would it be best to start fresh on a new VM? If so, how would I go about migrating my server and configuration? (I have many specific and optimized settings with a pretty decent local user base)

I will have to search but there are several reports of this on Windows 7.  You have scheduled Recordings, correct?  Emby never actually crashes correct, just the Windows pop-up message?  If it is the same issue it is the wake-up call Emby is making to ensure the server is awake for Scheduled Recordings.

Kimballslice1890

I will have to search but there are several reports of this on Windows 7.  You have scheduled Recordings, correct?  Emby never actually crashes correct, just the Windows pop-up message?  If it is the same issue it is the wake-up call Emby is making to ensure the server is awake for Scheduled Recordings.

Yup, I have many scheduled DVR recording.  Correct, it never seems to crash I just get the error window. I was assuming the random hangs where I'll have to refresh the emby page or app is the appcrash but I wasn't able to confirm.

Happy2Play

As for the other issue "updating the database" text in browser, you would need to post corresponding server logs.  But as far as I know a database update only happens once.   And that is basically text to let the user know that Emby is not available at the time requested.

• Like 1

Kimballslice1890

Thanks for the help guys. Was able to restore the config over to a new VM running on an SSD. Seems to be running a lot faster now (prob has a lot to do with the SSD)

Current issue I'm having is all of my devices configured to my server are saying it cannot connect to the server anymore. I have to delete and re add the server and then it connects...

New VM is same IP address. same hostname. Same config. Emby server is also identically configured with the same server name. Any thoughts on this or a way around it ?

Current issue I'm having is all of my devices configured to my server are saying it cannot connect to the server anymore. I have to delete and re add the server and then it connects...

Once you go through this process for each device, it should no longer be an issue.

Kimballslice1890

Thanks for that. My current issue now is randomly users will not be able to connect to the server, it'll either say username and password is incorrect or if they do get in it will say that there are no logon servers available.

I noticed on the fire stick (on a remote connection) it is reporting my servers local IP and port even though it is configured to connect to the domain and the https port. I have to manually restart emby server to resolve this.

I noticed on the fire stick (on a remote connection) it is reporting my servers local IP and port even though it is configured to connect to the domain and the https port. 

That is just for display to help you identify the server.  We don't want to display your remote address there.

Kimballslice1890

Thanks for the reply. I noticed an error on the virtual machine when I checked it which may be the root of some of the issues I am having?

I attached a screen shot of the error.

Happy2Play

Thanks for the reply. I noticed an error on the virtual machine when I checked it which may be the root of some of the issues I am having?

I attached a screen shot of the error.

Looks like you forgot to attach the error message.

Kimballslice1890

for some reason its not attaching... sorry about that

I'll write it out:

EmbyServer.exe - Application Error

The exception unknown software exception (0xe0434352)

occured in the application at location 0xfd88940d.

Happy2Play

for some reason its not attaching... sorry about that

I'll write it out:

EmbyServer.exe - Application Error

The exception unknown software exception (0xe0434352)

occured in the application at location 0xfd88940d.

So the same errors shown in the link from post 7.  Post 17 in that topic shows that specific error.

Not sure if this Recording server wakeup call for 6.1.7601.x Windows versions has been removed in 4.1 though.

Edited by Happy2Play

Kimballslice1890

So the same errors shown in the link from post 7.  Post 17 in that topic shows that specific error.

Not sure if this Recording server wakeup call for 6.1.7601.x Windows versions has been removed in 4.1 though.

Gotcha, thought it may have been unrelated to the other error. 

However I am having the issue again where some clients randomly cannot connect. It will first say server unreachable, then it will connect and instead of auto logging in it will say the username and password are incorrect.... let some time go by and then it works out of nowehere. I can see in the activity log that the user logs in but the end user gets these errors...