Change default port and access via Emby connect

Rosewellzz

Rosewellzz

I've Got emby premier and have setup port forwarding on my VPN from an external port of 8738 to 8096 internal to the emby windows box, If I manually type in the External Remote wan ip and this new port (8738) I can connect to the emby server from an external network, however I cannot get emby connect to work. I Get as far as sign in and then it prompts me to select a server (Emby Media server) and then just says failed to connect to server. Is there something Im missing here?

How does emby connect know my external port is now different? how to I get it to use that as an external port rather than the internal one? 

Note: I had to change the external port to 8738 as the VPN does not have 8096 available.

any help would be great.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
the-dumb1

I have version 4.6.4.0 installed on my Synology NAS ... the referenced link doesn't help.  I can't find where to set a different listening port.

rodainas

On your server settings, network you can set the ports you want, make sure those ports are forwarded on your router settings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, the-dumb1 said:

Nope.  It is either missing or has been removed.

Capture.PNG

What device are you running the server on?

1 minute ago, the-dumb1 said:

Nope.  It is either missing or has been removed.

Capture.PNG

The external ports are not visible on your screen because you've disabled remote access. If you're not using remote access then there's no need for configuring external ports.

the-dumb1
16 minutes ago, Luke said:

The external ports are not visible on your screen because you've disabled remote access. If you're not using remote access then there's no need for configuring external ports.

Awesome.  Is there a way to change the private listening port?

2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Generally yes but is there any reason to change the ports used locally?

Maybe not a good reason but, theoretically, some system might exist that was based on an old copy of all of our work that might be trying to use the same port...

• Haha 1

the-dumb1
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Generally yes but is there any reason to change the ports used locally?

Yes.  I want to run separate instances for different types of media.

/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/config/system.xml

The above file will need to be edited while Emby Server is not running.
I would make a copy of the file (just in case).

You will see two entries in this file that you can modify to change the default ports which are:

<HttpServerPortNumber>8096</HttpServerPortNumber>
  <HttpsPortNumber>8920</HttpsPortNumber>

Let us know how you make out.

Carlo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/13/2021 at 8:35 AM, cayars said:

/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/config/system.xml

The above file will need to be edited while Emby Server is not running.
I would make a copy of the file (just in case).

You will see two entries in this file that you can modify to change the default ports which are:

<HttpServerPortNumber>8096</HttpServerPortNumber>
  <HttpsPortNumber>8920</HttpsPortNumber>

Let us know how you make out.

Carlo

How would one even view that file? You gave a file path, how do I follow that path? Synology search doesn't know what to do with it. Windows Explorer doesn't. IS there some sort of terminal program I'm supposed to use to follow your instructions? 

2 minutes ago, alanemm said:

How would one even view that file? You gave a file path, how do I follow that path? Synology search doesn't know what to do with it. Windows Explorer doesn't. IS there some sort of terminal program I'm supposed to use to follow your instructions? 

Hi, are you running the server on Windows or Synology?

HawkXP71
12 hours ago, alanemm said:

You need to ssh into your nas box then go to that path.  That is the default location.  You can use vi to edit the file, and like have to run as admin since the emby user is the only one with write permissions.

However it would be great if on the network settings page, if you could set not just the public ports, but the private ones as well

image.thumb.png.4b78aae53e90c0aba76ca7bc5e0225a0.png

40 minutes ago, HawkXP71 said:

You need to ssh into your nas box then go to that path.  That is the default location.  You can use vi to edit the file, and like have to run as admin since the emby user is the only one with write permissions.

However it would be great if on the network settings page, if you could set not just the public ports, but the private ones as well

image.thumb.png.4b78aae53e90c0aba76ca7bc5e0225a0.png

You can, on supported platforms, but on Synology the port number is defined in our package. That's how the server gets permission to use the port, so it's essentially hardcoded.

HawkXP71
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

You can, on supported platforms, but on Synology the port number is defined in our package. That's how the server gets permission to use the port, so it's essentially hardcoded.

Makes perfect sense.  You might want to put that on the network page for synology boxes.  Possibly show the settings (http and https) make them readonly, and put a comment saying "Not modifiable on Synology due to DSM 7.x permission restrictions"

In reality it sounds like, if a user does modify the XML, they may not be able to run successfully as DSM will block the port access for the emby server

4 minutes ago, HawkXP71 said:

In reality it sounds like, if a user does modify the XML, they may not be able to run successfully as DSM will block the port access for the emby server

If you modify the xml it's not guaranteed to work. Some users have reported success, and some have not.

• Thanks 1

HawkXP71
1 minute ago, Luke said:

If you modify the xml it's not guaranteed to work. Some users have reported success, and some have not.

Probably dependent on the security settings in DSM

• Thanks 1

You can change the local ports very easily in Emby itself but the issue is the setup of Synology. Synology can be setup to do proxy, re-routing, application checking,  VPN and other things.

Because of the different situations and solutions Synology can be used for and to try and make this all as transparent as possible to end users/admins, Synology came up with the idea of registering the ports at install time.  Synology can then take those ports during install and adjust the system or built in apps, firewall, proxies, redirection, security, etc to make Emby Server (or any app using ports) "just work" by the end of the install.

So in a nutshell, were following Synology's "best practises" to make Emby Server as easy as possible to setup the networking layer. At the same time Emby Server does allow changing ports across the board. The difference is that "Local Ports" editing is shown for many OSes and not for others.

I think about it like this.  If Emby shows the local port section for editing, there is generally no specific OS features "helping" in anyway and nothing need be done usually except making sure the firewall is open on that machine and network for the port used.  When Emby Server doesn't show the local port configuration directly in the UI it's because of the platform is setup in a way that would require adjusting in some way before a specific alternate port can be used as ports are not "transparent" to Emby Server but controlled in some way more than normal by the OS.

On systems without the local port config shown, think about it this way.  A change of port in Emby Server for local network, requires other changes outside of Emby in order to use the chosen port when changed.