Help with Server Syncing

Danza

Good Day,

Noob here with his first post asking for help on how best to sync/update my media over WIFI. Here is some background info to best illustrate how I setup things so that it all makes sense.

I came across Emby and kodi while trying to find out the best way to watch my favourite shows on Android TV using a Mi Box 3. I messed about with things and I ended up with what I reckon was a half decent setup. For the initial setup, I plugged in my external to the laptop, had all my content sorted and used Emby to pull all the info and media for the files. Whenever I add a new file, as long as the external is connected to the laptop and I run Emby server everything is updated and synced and all the necessary media is downloaded. I was aware that the mi box is limited to be used as a server but I also wanted to share the media with anyone in the house.

So I plugged the drive into my router and created samba share. On pc i could now see my media over WIFI and copy content over but main issue now is when a new file is added to the drive, no syncing of media happens. I understand this to be because the path that was used to sync the files initially is different from the path pointing to the files now over WiFi.

How do I get around this? I just want my media to be updated in Emby irrespective of how I add that media. I am also willing to consider other alternatives/setups.

The current drill has been connect drive to pc, add one file, run Emby server to update media, disconnect and plug drive back into the router, run kodi on android tv and have that scan for any new changes. Then use kodi to watch. 

PS - Emby is set to save the nfo files in the actual folder of the media so everything is centralized

- Kodi is set to just read or update from the saved nfo files present in the drive and not download new ones as I was concerned the limited storage on the mi box will be used up with downloaded fan art etc. 

Apologies for the long post but the question is how do I get Emby to pick up the changes in the media folders irrespective of how I added the media be it over WiFi or directly?

• Like 1

Hi.  Have you just tried running a library scan after adding a new file?

Yes I have - nothing happens. Keep in mind I originally set up the whole collection while drive was plugged into the pc ... so the path is something like //D:Movies but when i plug the same drive to the router to stream the content wirelessly then the original path has changed and so any scans only take place when drive is connected back to the pc. 

Okay, well, you are going to have to configure your server for the actual environment during use...

is there no way to sync wirelessly as well as while plugged in and have both consolidate somehow. Or is this achievable via Kodi perhaps. I thought there may be a genius way to somehow sync and update the folder with the media irrespective of how its connected to by Emby. I did try to give both direct link and samba share link and all that did was duplicate the entries on Emby. Was really hoping for a solution to all the back and forth.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "syncing".  Do you mean with the Kodi plug-in?

I'm not really sure what you mean by "syncing".  Do you mean with the Kodi plug-in?

I mean for Emby to "update/refresh" the media folder and basically download the appropriate art for any media it detects irrespective of the original path used. Granted this happens when I plug the pc to the hard drive and run Emby. It detects any new media and downloads all the relevant art effortlessly. But when I have the same drive plugged into my router its now a network share and even though I can see it on pc and copy media to and from it. Any new media that I copy to the folders do not get recognized by Emby.

My usual second step after a library update in Emby is to run Kodi which is set to sync or update from local metadata files - and because Emby usually has done this already then Kodi is able to pick up the new media and update accordingly meaning I am able to see any new media added and because it reads from the nfo already added by Emby in the medial folder - kodi does not have to download any new media and risk filling up the Mi Box limited storage.  

You need to connect the drive where it will actually live and then  configure the library in Emby to point to that location (via network share).

You need to connect the drive where it will actually live and then  configure the library in Emby to point to that location (via network share).

Ohk so essentially I cannot do it both ways and I can only have one specific path that is used at all times for Emby to point to or read from?

Ohk so essentially I cannot do it both ways and I can only have one specific path that is used at all times for Emby to point to or read from?

I don't quite understand what you're asking. Can you elaborate on this a little bit more? Thanks !

I don't quite understand what you're asking. Can you elaborate on this a little bit more? Thanks !

will do, let me try gather some pics to aid in the elaboration.

My apologies for getting back to you abit late - I thought I had figured it out but there is just no way I can find to have the new material picked up automatically over WIFI when the original syncing was done through a certain set path. I just decided to make peace with it as I can live without that extra added benefit. Thank you for all the input - much appreciated. Rockstar of an app