Connection problems

Vinny1967

Vinny1967

Hi there,

I'm having trouble connecting to my Shield server.I'm running two servers.One on my laptop and one on the shield.Last week I had to reset the router and now I'm unable to connect to the shield server.I tried reinstalling the server but it gives a strange ip address http://192.168.49.1:8096 even though the shield has a static ip 192.168.0.2 .I had everything working fine until the router reset,but I'm stumped and my old brain can't figure out what is wrong.

I also tries connecting through the emby app and other browsers but just get the same result.Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Vinny

PenkethBoy

have you tried

http://192.168.0.2:8096  from your browser?

also have you checked your router still has static ip address assigned and these were not wiped when you did the reset?

also is the router dhcp range still set at 192.169.0.xxx - as that might have changes to 192.168.49.xxx by the looks of it

Edited by PenkethBoy

Vinny1967

Thanks for the quick reply.I sorted everything with the router after the reset,so all important devices have static ip's.I can access the shield and nas from my laptop.It's only the server that cannot be accessed. Also http://192.168.0.2:8096 just gives a black page.

Edited by Vinny1967

Vinny1967

have you rebooted the shield since you reset the router?

Yeah everything has been rebooted several times.Even trying to access the server from a browser on the shield itself fails

unhooked

I'm guessing your wireless and wired adapters are both up and confusing things. 

expert/advanced:

Optional. Override the local IP address to bind the http server to. If left empty, the server will bind to all availabile addresses. Changing this value requires restarting Emby Server.

try setting that to the interface you want.

Vinny1967

I'm guessing your wireless and wired adapters are both up and confusing things. 

expert/advanced:

Optional. Override the local IP address to bind the http server to. If left empty, the server will bind to all availabile addresses. Changing this value requires restarting Emby Server.

try setting that to the interface you want.

I tried your suggestion.Not sure if I did something wrong but after I restarted the server I couldn't connect to anything.I was getting an "invalid host" error.I deleted the server again,cleared all data from my browser and reinstalled the server, but it still gives the same weird ip address (192.168.49.1:8096) which I'm unable to connect to but 192.168.0.2:8096 works.Should I just leave it how it is or will this cause more problems further down the line ?

• 4 weeks later...
Vinny1967

@@Vinny1967 are you still having a connection issue?

It's all a bit hit and miss.Sometimes it works and sometimes not.For example I tried today to connect to my shield server with my phone and it worked.Tried connecting with my pc in work and it wouldn't connect.I deleted the cache in my browser and tried the app again and all I got was a black page with " Get Emby Premium" in the top right corner.It did work on the same pc a few weeks ago,but like I said,it's all very hit and miss.

Vinny1967

Is the laptop and the shield using the same local port?

I have seperate ports assigned for the laptop and the shield.Both are comfirmed open.I'm thinking that it might be a problem with my isp supplied router/modem because one day it will connect and the next day it can't.

Nisten

Are you using a third party router? If so, have you disabled the Wireless AP function of the isp supplied router/modem? Maybe if i tell you my setup; it'll help you check everything; I have AT&T as my ISP but am using a 3rd party Netgear Router (r7800)

-Wireless AP feature/mode (2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz) is disabled on my ISP supplied router/modem

-Static IPs are reserved for both my desktop, Shield, and HDHomerun through the Netgear Router

-Custom Firewall pinhole rules had to be added for the ports on my Windows Emby Server and for my Shield Emby Server through the ISP's gateway address/interface (for remote access to both Emby servers)

-UPnP is enabled on the 3rd Party Router

-Automatic Port Mapping is enabled on both Emby Servers' Dashboard

-Local IP Addresses are not setup to be overrode on either Emby Server

-All Local IPs are assigned through the 3rd Party Router via DHCP

-Both Shield & Desktop are connected via wi-fi on the 5Ghz band

-My Desktop can access the local Emby Server (via localhost:(insertport)) and the Shield server (via assigned static ip plus port)

It's all a bit hit and miss.Sometimes it works and sometimes not.For example I tried today to connect to my shield server with my phone and it worked.Tried connecting with my pc in work and it wouldn't connect.I deleted the cache in my browser and tried the app again and all I got was a black page with " Get Emby Premium" in the top right corner.It did work on the same pc a few weeks ago,but like I said,it's all very hit and miss.

When you say "pc" is this another computer different from your laptop (that's running its own local Emby server)? or is it the same laptop? Is this "pc" the only thing that can't connect to the shield's server?

Edited by Nisten

Vinny1967

I'm not using any other router except the one from my isp.The pc I refered to was a pc in work.I've had some success accessing from the work pc,but more often than not it doesn't connect.

GrimReaper

That all sounds like some IP conflict somewhere down the network. Is your Shield connection to your router wired or wireless?

Edited by GrimReaper76

Vinny1967

That all sounds like some IP conflict somewhere down the network. Is your Shield connection to your router wired or wireless?

It's a wired static connection.

GrimReaper

It's a wired static connection.

DHCP reserved on router or static IP setting on Shield?