Streaming more than one channel at the same time causes...

Gridflix

Gridflix

Alright so I've recently set up my Emby to work with my IPTV.

I've tested it back and forth and it works fine I guess, however..

If I start one channel to stream it starts download the stream and then sends it to my viewer, essentially working as a middle man.

Sounds like a waste instead of just allowing the LIVE Tv to open the streams channel without being in the middle of it.

Even though I think that the current solution isnt optimal I still wanted to try it and so if I run one channel and I watch my servers outbound and inbound bandwidth in real time it will be around 

1000KB/s, however.. And here is where it starts getting real wierd. If I start the same channel or another channel that uses the same amount of bandwidth the servers outbound goes up to about 2000KB/s while the fricking inbound goes up to around 40000KB/s...????

But should I close one of the streams it goes back down to 1000KB/s..

Is this something that is only occuring on my server or noone has checked if it happens on their server too?

I tried using xTeve with DVR settings and if I open one stream the xTeve reports

stream: 1 sent to plex

And nothing more, should I open  one more it'll go

Stream: 1 sent to plex

Stream: 2 sent to plex

and then it'll spam that continously until you end one of the streams..

It feels like the server spams the connections which causes the inbound speed to skyrocket..

So the conclusion is that this thing happens wether I use DVR Tuner or m3u..

Anyone have any ideas? :)

Sincerely,

Grid

Gridflix

Another point that I was thinking about, if you use m3u and limit the amount of streams to 1 and then open another one it never tells you that one stream is already open it just keeps loading and loading making the user that tries to open that the server or stream is lagging or not working.

A message being sent to the user that tries to open a stream that will go over the set limit would be great :)

Hi there, sounds like your provider only allows one connection at a time, is that correct?

BillOatman

If I start one channel to stream it starts download the stream and then sends it to my viewer, essentially working as a middle man.

Sounds like a waste instead of just allowing the LIVE Tv to open the streams channel without being in the middle of it.

The server gets in the middle so it can send all video/audio the same way to the clients. If you want your client box to stream the video directly, you can use something like VLC or several other clients.

No need for Emby at all.

The server gets in the middle so it can send all video/audio the same way to the clients. If you want your client box to stream the video directly, you can use something like VLC or several other clients.

No need for Emby at all.

Exactly.  This way you can have multiple users watching the same channel and only use one inbound stream for that channel.  You server could also be recording that same channel as well and it would still only use the one stream.

It works the same way for hardware based tuners as well.

That's not a waist but a POSITIVE thing about Emby.

In my house it's very common to have multiple TVs on in different rooms watching the same channel like CNN or Fox News.  Why would I want to use multiple tuners if they can all share the same tuner/stream?

Bevanpfc

Exactly.  This way you can have multiple users watching the same channel and only use one inbound stream for that channel.  You server could also be recording that same channel as well and it would still only use the one stream.

It works the same way for hardware based tuners as well.

That's not a waist but a POSITIVE thing about Emby.

In my house it's very common to have multiple TVs on in different rooms watching the same channel like CNN or Fox News.  Why would I want to use multiple tuners if they can all share the same tuner/stream?

Am I understanding this correctly, I currently have 2 iptv providers one provides 5 concurrent streams the other 1, I've always limited emby to 1 stream on this provider so that my account wouldn't be blocked, are you saying that emby redistributes the stream and creates extra streams itself if needed ?

When possible, Emby Server will buffer the stream and then all Emby apps that request the same channel during that time will play from that same buffer.

Am I understanding this correctly, I currently have 2 providers one provides 5 concurrent streams the other 1, I've always limited emby to 1 stream on this provider so that my account wouldn't be blocked, are you saying that emby redistributes the stream and creates extra streams itself if needed ?

Then in Emby set them up this way.

For the one provider you would set it up as 5 streams and the other 1 stream.

Emby won't use more streams then you allow this way you don't have to worry about your provider.

As an example let's assume the provider that only allows 1 stream has two channels in the M3U file (Fox News, CNN).

If someone in the house is watching Fox News then your ONE AND ONLY STREAM from that provider is being used.  No one would be able to choose to play CNN because there are no streams available to use.  HOWEVER, every TV, mobile device, tablet in your house could watch Fox News.  Emby server only needs the ONE STREAM to the provider PER CHANNEL and can "rebroadcast" it internally.

It's really the same thing with your 5 stream provider.  If three people were watching MSNBC via this provider and 4 people were watching CBS from this provider you have 7 people watching but only using 2 streams.  You would still have 3 streams available from that provider for recording or Live TV.

Does that make better sense and help clarify the sharing of streams?

Edited by cayars

• 4 months later...
test399

Then in Emby set them up this way.

For the one provider you would set it up as 5 streams and the other 1 stream.

Emby won't use more streams then you allow this way you don't have to worry about your provider.

As an example let's assume the provider that only allows 1 stream has two channels in the M3U file (Fox News, CNN).

If someone in the house is watching Fox News then your ONE AND ONLY STREAM from that provider is being used.  No one would be able to choose to play CNN because there are no streams available to use.  HOWEVER, every TV, mobile device, tablet in your house could watch Fox News.  Emby server only needs the ONE STREAM to the provider PER CHANNEL and can "rebroadcast" it internally.

It's really the same thing with your 5 stream provider.  If three people were watching MSNBC via this provider and 4 people were watching CBS from this provider you have 7 people watching but only using 2 streams.  You would still have 3 streams available from that provider for recording or Live TV.

Does that make better sense and help clarify the sharing of streams?

Hey Cayers. Thanks for this info. Im still trying to wrap my head around this.

I have 1 paid iptv provider which allows me 1 stream. I have the same issue to where if we try to watch live tv (different channels) emby barfs and cuts them both off or maybe its my provider? 

What interests me is what bevampspfc said "are you saying Emby redistributes the stream and creates extra streams itself if needed ?"

Can i set my emby up to watch more than one stream (Two Tv's different channels) if im only allowed 1 stream by my 1 provider? 

i sure wish i were smarter. My brain is hot!

mark-in-dallas

Hey Cayers. Thanks for this info. Im still trying to wrap my head around this.

I have 1 paid iptv provider which allows me 1 stream. I have the same issue to where if we try to watch live tv (different channels) emby barfs and cuts them both off or maybe its my provider? 

What interests me is what bevampspfc said "are you saying Emby redistributes the stream and creates extra streams itself if needed ?"

Can i set my emby up to watch more than one stream (Two Tv's different channels) if im only allowed 1 stream by my 1 provider? 

i sure wish i were smarter. My brain is hot!

Let me see if maybe I can help make it a little easier to understand:

If your IPTV provider only allows for a single stream, you can only view or download one channel at a time from that provider, but if it is being streamed to an Emby Server you can watch that one channel on any number of Emby Clients.

The IPTV stream goes to the Emby Server and Emby then redistributes that stream to the Client devices, so that the stream is now coming from the Emby Server instead of the IPTV provider.  So, a single incoming stream can be rebroadcast to multiple devices.

Should you attempt to stream more channels than your IPTV service allows, they will drop one of those channels.