Live TV audio vs recorded TV audio

TylerV76

TylerV76

Hoping someone can explain how this works because Im confused and trying to solve an irritation.

When I watch live TV, and commercials come on, they vary between dolby surround and dolby digital. This causes my receiver to cut out while switching sound profiles and sound drops out in-between commercials with different profiles.

I recorded a show while this happened live and when I playback the recording everything stays in dolby digital so the audio dropouts never happen.

Is the recording being converted even though its direct streaming (shows unsupported container for the video portion).

Next question is, besides downmixing to stereo, is there a way for live tv to maintain the same audio regardless of what the feed is sending like it does on recordings? Im trying to eliminate the dropouts and they happen regardless of direct playing live tv or allowing timeshifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'd have to see an ffmpeg log to be sure but I imagine the recordings are converting audio and live it is not.  Whether you start playing the channel during a commercial or not may impact this as well.

TylerV76

We'd have to see an ffmpeg log to be sure but I imagine the recordings are converting audio and live it is not.  Whether you start playing the channel during a commercial or not may impact this as well.

Ok, I'll try and grab some logs next chance I get.