6 replies to this topic

#1 PhillyIdol OFFLINE  

PhillyIdol

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 08:39 AM

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:06 PM

Okay,

So I'm not 'new' to Linux (I've used Ubuntu), but I am new to using Linux as a media server, and I am new to Mint.  Having said that, even tho it all seems pretty familiar/straight forward, I am running into issues with adding files to the server.

Just to be clear, I just installed Mint (as in today) on a server (so latest Cinnamon 19 ver), and then installed Emby (so again, latest ver).  Reason is my old media box is dying (was just a old Windows box that I had with only 20-30 movies), and I'm transferring the files over to my new box, and wanted to have a sleeker media server, so went with Mint+Emby.

Mint installed fine, Emby installed fine, added drive location easily enuf (/home/embysvr/movies), transferred some movies over to test with a USB... but nothing shows up in the dashboard (??).  Ran scan library thru dashboard, but no go.

I'm guessing there's either a break in my install, or it's a perms issue with files from a Win box to a Linux box.  I ran the ls -l cmd against the share and the transferred files show as having these perms: drwx------- 2 embysvr embysvr 4096 Mar 21 13:17 '<movie filename>'

I'm thinking it may be important to note, that I tried a DL of a movie from the server directly to that folder - and it scanned/worked - until I changed the name of the file/folder to match my other ones (I use 'movie title (year)' format - the initial DL that worked had a long name.year.1080p.x.264 name)...  AND with the DL'd one, the perms showed as this: drwxrwxr-x 2 embysvr embysvr 4096 Mar 21 14:34 '<movie filename>'

I have been looking thru the web/forums for permissions, as well as changing folder/file names causing issues (which I really don't understand why this would be an issue), so I'm still trying things, but thought I'd post here JIC there was a guru who had a quick 'you forgot to do this' answer.

Apologies in advance if I just missed a simple step/forum - I'll keep looking.

Cheers and thanks

#2 PhillyIdol OFFLINE  

PhillyIdol

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:50 PM

Update:

I've been going thru some posts on how to grant perms, and I see a few that show strings such as...

• sudo chmod g+rwx <movies folder path>

...and...

• sudo chown -R emby.MEDIA <movies folder path>

..., so I know the issue is I'm NOT 100% on emby perms, so if I'm reading it right, emby creates a user and/or an 'emby.MEDIA' user/setting on install/setup (at setup I created an 'embyadmin' user), and that's what I need to grant perms to my 'movies' folder, or add the 'emby' (embyadmin) user to the group that owns the folder, and hopefully I'm on the right track.

#3 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 128939 posts
  • Local time: 11:39 AM

Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:07 AM

Hi, yes that is correct about the emby user. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

#4 PhillyIdol OFFLINE  

PhillyIdol

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:16 PM

Sorry - forgot to post another update...

I went ahead with the cmd's above (found that for the 2nd cmd I had to use 'emby'), restarted the server, reran the scan - and voila.  It finally scanned the folder, my movies showed up, and they play perfectly.

Now I admit I foolishly should have tried one cmd and tested to see which one worked (and/or if both were needed), so as I just bought a new 2nd HDD so that I can separate the OS from my collection, I'll be re-installing from scratch anyway, so I'll be sure to remind myself to do that and see what happens ;-)

Thanks for the conf and the assist.

#5 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 128939 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Please let us know how you get on with the new drive.

#6 PhillyIdol OFFLINE  

PhillyIdol

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 01:19 AM

Okay,

So built a Mint server, tried transferring some movies over to it from my old box, but it wouldn't let me until I ran a 'sudo chown -R <myuseracct> <movies folder path>' cmd, and I was good to go, but then once I transferred them, I got the dreaded 'no compatible streams' playback error, so then I fig'd I needed to run the 'sudo chmod g+rwx <movies folder path>', so did - but no go still.

Then I thought about the initial issue with the 'emby' acct needing access, so re-ran the 'sudo chown -R' cmd, but this time with the 'emby' user and that fixed the scan issue - but then...

I realized I would have to rerun the same cmd with my acct when I transferred movies, then again with the 'emby' acct to play them.

That's when I remember in a few of the posts mentioning 'groups', so...

I created a 'embyadmins' group, added both my acct and the 'emby' acct to it, ran the 'chgrp' with the group, then the 'chmod -R' with the '2775' entry I also remembered, and voila - I can successfully transfer, scan, and play my movies with no issues.

Basically, from what I found, you don't need the 'sudo chmod g+rwx' cmd, just the 'chown' with a group.

Cheers and hope this helps someone  :) :D

#7 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 128939 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for the info !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users