Music tags

heula

heula

I have setup my music libray with all kind of ID3v2 tags with Tag&Rename.

I have set all my genres and Album Artist to a specific name so I can easily find what I want to listen.

When Emby had finisht the media library update after adding my music collection I saw all kind of genres and album artist that were not in those id3v2 tags.

I have now a genre "folk" and these are in my 80's collection which is one folder with only 80's music. The genre and Album artist here should be 80's.

How can I delete folk or any other unwanted genre or album artist and replace it it with the genre I want at once. Without needing to do this song by song. That is way too much work!

post-310-0-98321200-1553172172_thumb.png

post-310-0-49269400-1553172153_thumb.png

Further I see in the tab folders 3 of the same folders. I can't remove them. How do I remove these empty but visible folders?

post-310-0-59853600-1553172027_thumb.png

Thanks

Edited by heula

the-dumb1

What you are asking for is a bulk metadata editor. It’s been a requested feature for many years—it’ll probably never happen.

Workaround is to delete your library in order to start from scratch because there’s no way to bulk edit anything in Emby... then use an ID3 tag editor and then rescan your library.

heula

What you are asking for is a bulk metadata editor. It’s been a requested feature for many years—it’ll probably never happen.

Workaround is to delete your library in order to start from scratch because there’s no way to bulk edit anything in Emby... then use an ID3 tag editor and then rescan your library.

Yes something like that. Starting from scratch won’t help I think because all my tags are good. Those unwanted tags are inserted by Emby based on?

I never inserted trailer, avantgarde and folk as genre in any if my music. And yet they are there now.

If I could just disable the genre option before the library update I could do a start from scratch bu that is not possible I think.

Edited by heula

Most likely those values are still in your audio files even though you think you've removed them. You want to use a tag writing program that will write to all versions of id3.

heula

Most likely those values are still in your audio files even though you think you've removed them. You want to use a tag writing program that will write to all versions of id3.

That must be in the id3v1 tags than. I checked it with mp3tag and I can’t set the genre and album artist the same as in id3v2. I can only set it to standard genres and not my own as is possible in v2.

The genre and album artist column is now emty on all music in id3v1.

Why does Emby not only read the id3v2 tags? My tag editor always updates v2 to v1 when changes are made exept for rhe genre and album artist because it can not set it to the same.

I checked for the unwanted genres like trailer, avantgarde and folk in all Id3v1 and 2 but I could not find it anywhere.

Now the genre and album artist are empty in v1, should emby see that now and only pick up the items in v2 or do I need to setup the whole music library from scratch?

advanceratio

Despite what everybody is trying to say, I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with OP's tags.  Emby is screwing up something fierce on reading music tags right now.  I currently have 1800+ songs being wrongly attributed to a single album, despite all of them having their own ALBUM tags set.

heula

I have removed my music library and re-added it again. Removed the plugins Musicbrainz en the audiodb but still I get those unwanted genres that are not in my ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags.

When I go to the genre field I see the unwanted genres but there is nothing in them.

post-310-0-82807400-1553767085_thumb.png

post-310-0-41174100-1553767232_thumb.png

post-310-0-03927000-1553767246_thumb.png

post-310-0-56523300-1553767261_thumb.png

Hpow can I remove these empty genres?

Thanks

heula

do you still have those genres kicking around in an album nfo file?

They were there yes. I deleted all of them and will do a medialibrary refresh to see what happens than.

heula

After deleting all the nfo files I did a media library scan. There are no new nfo files created in the music folders but nothing has changed. Still those three unwanted genres.

Log.txt

Edited by heula

Well, that will not change anything. What you would do now is after deleting the nfo's that contained those genres, you would then refresh metadata on those particular albums. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

heula

Well, that will not change anything. What you would do now is after deleting the nfo's that contained those genres, you would then refresh metadata on those particular albums. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

This didn't help either.

The three unwanted genres are still there and no songs listed when I select it. When I select play all it starts playing all song that seems to be in that genre.

post-310-0-93627700-1554126912_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
ramseyn

@heula - did you ever resolve this?

I have lots of junk inserted somehow by emby I think and editing tags and folder/file names has done nothing to help.

Ronstang
On 3/22/2019 at 12:34 PM, Luke said:

He says he's using Tag&Rename so there is an easy solution to this problem.  In the options he can go into the advanced section and under tags simply check the box to delete ID3v1 tags when saving the ID3v2 tags.  Most people have it set to copy all data to both fields but v1 tags don't allow custom genres, IIRC, so this can lead to the kind of trouble he is.....or was having since this is an old thread.  In the old days many players only supported v1 tags so early on it was best to keep both versions of the tags but these days the v1 tags are completely obsolete so I have Tag&Rename remove them all.

I have tested pretty much all music tagging software and Tag&Rename is simply the best, most versatile, and most customizable I have found.  It is the first piece of software I install on any new system.

Ronstang
On 3/22/2019 at 5:32 PM, heula said:

That must be in the id3v1 tags than. I checked it with mp3tag and I can’t set the genre and album artist the same as in id3v2. I can only set it to standard genres and not my own as is possible in v2.

The genre and album artist column is now emty on all music in id3v1.

Why does Emby not only read the id3v2 tags? My tag editor always updates v2 to v1 when changes are made exept for rhe genre and album artist because it can not set it to the same.

I checked for the unwanted genres like trailer, avantgarde and folk in all Id3v1 and 2 but I could not find it anywhere.

Now the genre and album artist are empty in v1, should emby see that now and only pick up the items in v2 or do I need to setup the whole music library from scratch?

Read my above post if you still care.  Configure Tag&Rename to simply delete the ID3v1 tag.  In all modern software ID3v2 tags are supported and sometimes the ID3v1 tags cause problems like you were or are still having.  If you need help with it simply send me a PM.

Ronstang, just wanted to comment I've never tried Tag&Rename but based on your recommendation, I'm giving it a try.

Ronstang

Cayars, you won't be disappointed.  I bought this program many years ago because it is the only editor that lets me do so much so fast.  For me the Multiple File Tag Editor, the ability to get tags from filenames, and the ability to rename the files....all at one time in an existing folder (which is usually an album for me) is extremely handy.  Plus, you can set your own custom masks here for how to name file and visa versa.....very handy.  You can add album art to the whole album from the multi tag editor and then with one click make it the folder jpg also.....so many nice little features.  You can also change the toolbars buy adding or deleting functions to suit your style of editing.   It will edit just about any music tag from FLAC to mP3 and most in between.

Considering my large music library it is easily one of my favorite and most used programs.....and has been for almost 2 decades

• Like 1

pwhodges

Mind you, you list nothing there which the free MP3Tag doesn't do these days (maybe it didn't when you bought your program).

Paul

Ronstang
23 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Mind you, you list nothing there which the free MP3Tag doesn't do these days (maybe it didn't when you bought your program).

Paul

That program may be great too but I have had this software so long I have no reason to change unless there is some must have new feature out there somewhere that Tag&Rename doesn't have but they constantly upgrade this software and I have so much experience with this program it would have to be something super special to get me to change now.

As to features....the program you list may have all the features I listed but are they as easy and fast to use?  One of the things I like about Tag&Rename is I can process a lot of files in a short time when needed.  Your program may be superior to some based on price and that is understandable, but Ta&Rename is one of the few programs I bought almost immediately instead of using free alternatives because to me, for the price at the time, I was willing to pay for the features and ease of use this program provides me.....others may find other programs more intuitive.

pwhodges

I do all the things you mention, and pretty efficiently, I'd say - things like renaming files from tags, or setting tags from the file names for whole directories are trivially easy,  I have a large music library which (a) was largely ripped without tags (but with descriptive file names), and (b) is mostly not catered for at all by the online databases (less than half the lookups of commercial disks I try even find anything, and much of my music is non-commercial anyway).  So since I got Emby I've been working out how best to deal with it, and I recently started working systematically through my several thousand disks tagging things manually in a way that works for me (and sod Musicbrainz and the like).  I'm still developing how I do this - for example, I haven't found any systematic way of finding or choosing images to use with recordings off-air of my son's concerts.

So far I've done all my anime soundtracks, my BBC Music Magazine CDs (I have a complete run from the first issue), and my son's commercial recordings - and quite a lot else besides, but it's patchy.

Paul

Ronstang

I'll try your program Paul, I always like experimenting.  If I can do with it what I have been doing with Tag&Rename I will start recommending it to people since it is a free program.  Like I said Paul....I have been using Tag&Rename for almost two decades and I already own it and they provide lifetime updates so for me there is little reason to change.