#1 NerdGuy85 OFFLINE  

NerdGuy85

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Local time: 02:04 AM
  • LocationCoral Springs, FL

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:10 PM

Hi All,

All of my remote users are having issues with connecting to my Emby server.

This all started after I realized I had my Emby server exposed on both ports 8920 & 8096. I immediately removed port 8096 and confirmed the Emby iOS app was working for me outside my environment. In fairness I did have issues connecting remotely at first however, I was able to remove my server and add it back using the FDQN and I was able to connect no problem. Both locally and remote. Since I've noticed that one of my users hasn't connected in 3-4 days, I reached out and realized they were having connectivity issues. They are also using the ios app but never get the option to delete the server and re-add but rather get prompted that the connection has timed out. I do have an SSL certificate on a properly configured FDQN, I checked the server settings but seeing as the end user device isn't able to connect the server never sees the connection.

I've done some light searching online but I can't find any instructions that would help me guide my iOS users on how to reset the Emby iOS app or how to delete and change the server. Things happen that will sometimes make the Emby server inaccessible so I'm sure there must be a way for my remote users to regain access without having to re-open port 8096. I originally suggested they delete the app and re-add it however, I thought placing the device in Airplane mode would cause it to fail and prompt to remove the server. Of course, that didn't happen but I never asked them to delete the app and re-add. Would that work? I figured the device would retain the settings even after the app has been removed.

Any ideas?

#2 NerdGuy85 OFFLINE  

NerdGuy85

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:29 PM

Hi All,

All of my remote users are having issues with connecting to my Emby server.

This all started after I realized I had my Emby server exposed on both ports 8920 & 8096. I immediately removed port 8096 and confirmed the Emby iOS app was working for me outside my environment. In fairness I did have issues connecting remotely at first however, I was able to remove my server and add it back using the FDQN and I was able to connect no problem. Both locally and remote. Since I've noticed that one of my users hasn't connected in 3-4 days, I reached out and realized they were having connectivity issues. They are also using the ios app but never get the option to delete the server and re-add but rather get prompted that the connection has timed out. I do have an SSL certificate on a properly configured FDQN, I checked the server settings but seeing as the end user device isn't able to connect the server never sees the connection.

I've done some light searching online but I can't find any instructions that would help me guide my iOS users on how to reset the Emby iOS app or how to delete and change the server. Things happen that will sometimes make the Emby server inaccessible so I'm sure there must be a way for my remote users to regain access without having to re-open port 8096. I originally suggested they delete the app and re-add it however, I thought placing the device in Airplane mode would cause it to fail and prompt to remove the server. Of course, that didn't happen but I never asked them to delete the app and re-add. Would that work? I figured the device would retain the settings even after the app has been removed.

Any ideas?

After posting this I discovered that my Emby Connect was no longer properly configured for the server under my user account. I fixed it. I'm not sure if this matters.

#3 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138067 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:58 PM

Hi, thanks for following up. Has this resolved your issue? 

#4 NerdGuy85 OFFLINE  

NerdGuy85

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:14 AM

Hi, thanks for following up. Has this resolved your issue? 

No, I tested with a remote user. The iOS app is still behaving the same. I was able to login as the user via https://apps.emby.media and I could see the server. Trying it again from the phone I got the same time out notice. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

#5 NerdGuy85 OFFLINE  

NerdGuy85

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:47 AM

My remote user was finally able to get where they could delete the server and re-add. I had them remove then re-add the server by the FDQN and specify port 8920. Still wasn't able to connect.  :(

Is it possible that I may not have the correct understanding on which ports need to be forwarded? Currently, I only have port 8920 forwarded. At on point I also had port 8096 forwarded but then I discovered that exposed the web interface where any user, my user could have been selected without entering a password and ultimately given someone admin rights to my server. Needless to say, I no longer have port 8096 forwarded and I would like to keep it that way.

I'm also willing to accept it's an issue with my configuration. I may not have something set up properly. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by NerdGuy85, 22 March 2019 - 12:48 AM.

#6 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2945 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:15 AM

What port you use has no bearing on what accounts they can use to login with.  If you have accounts on your system without a password that can be a problem depending on what privs you have given them.

You should require a PASSWORD for EVERY REMOTE USER.

You can get by without a password for local LAN users BUT ALL USERS still need to have a password set.

You can enable a simple PIN for local users, then leave the PIN empty.  This allows a local user to login without a password or PIN but only on the same network as the server (home network).

• NerdGuy85 likes this

#7 NerdGuy85 OFFLINE  

NerdGuy85

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:43 PM

What port you use has no bearing on what accounts they can use to login with.  If you have accounts on your system without a password that can be a problem depending on what privs you have given them.

You should require a PASSWORD for EVERY REMOTE USER.

You can get by without a password for local LAN users BUT ALL USERS still need to have a password set.

You can enable a simple PIN for local users, then leave the PIN empty.  This allows a local user to login without a password or PIN but only on the same network as the server (home network).

Ahh, makes sense. So basically the solution is to enable passwords and simple pin for my users and all my connectivity issues are resolved.

I can't set the password of 4 of my users. When I click on the password tab on these particular users no boxes to enter a password appear, I thought to delete the users and re-add them since it's a small number but I would rather not if there is another way to fix it. Appreciate the help.

#8 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2945 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:01 PM

How did you add those users?  Are they using Emby connect?

If you have users in your house and want to have several listed for easy login you can do that.  If there isn't anything private (ie access to adult stuff) then you set "Enable in-network sign in with my easy pin code" and just leave the PIN blank.

The PIN code is only used on LAN not internet.  It can be blank or with a 4 digit number.  So any family member can have a password set they need to use when remote but in house on a device can easily switch between users.

#9 NerdGuy85 OFFLINE  

NerdGuy85

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:06 PM

How did you add those users?  Are they using Emby connect?

If you have users in your house and want to have several listed for easy login you can do that.  If there isn't anything private (ie access to adult stuff) then you set "Enable in-network sign in with my easy pin code" and just leave the PIN blank.

The PIN code is only used on LAN not internet.  It can be blank or with a 4 digit number.  So any family member can have a password set they need to use when remote but in house on a device can easily switch between users.

These 4 users are Emby Connect enabled. Other users who are as well I can see and set the password for them.

Nothing private so for my standard local users I followed the advice and left them blank. Only for my user which is the admin I've set one.

• cayars likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Remote Access, DNS, SSL, FDQN, Emby Server, Remote Users

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users