How's this hardware sound? New to HTPC

Zealot
Go to solution Solved by Melyan,

Zealot

Hello,

I've been a computer tech for a number of years, but I haven't really setup an HTPC system apart from a central file server. I was wondering how this setup sounds, or if there is something I missed.

The file server is a Thecus N7700 Pro. I need to add a PC to run Mediabrowser server and transcode/stream the content from the N7700. I was thinking of getting an i5 Intel NUC with 8GB of RAM and a small 120GB SSD. It will need to feed 4 streams (me, Mom, 2 kids) simultaneously, either to hardwired xmbc clients or mobile devices over the local LAN.

For the clients I was going to use i3 NUCs with XMBC, probably 4GB and 120GB SSDs. They will be wired with ethernet, so I don't have to worry about wi-fi.

Does the setup sound powerful enough?

Thanks,

Simon

• Solution
Melyan

Hardware wise it looks fine to me, but I have a few questions.

1. Are you intending the i3 NUC clients to only access files on the N7700 via your Media Browser Server?  For example: limited Live TV(no DRM channels like HBO, Showtime which vary by cable provider), no gaming, no email

2. Do you intend to use a CableCard and tuner to receive LiveTV

3. Do you already own the equipment you mentioned above?

Just to give you an idea of my setup:

Server PC- i3 -3225 using CPU graphics HD4000, 12GB RAM, Win7 x64, 128GB SSD(for OS and Media Browser), Ceton InfiniTV4-PCI w/ CableCard (for LiveTV), 6TB of IDE HD storage

2 Roku 3's with Media Browser App in two bedrooms that have access to all recorded media accessible to my server PC

Home LAN is 100Mb/s (limited by FiOS router) with a couple network switches to provide internet connectivity to 4 other computers.

My only concern would be if your server needs to transcode 4 Blu-ray quality movies at the same time to each client (worst case scenario), in which case heat may become a problem as well as processor speed in a NUC server.  Maybe someone else can chime in here with there personal experiences.  I don't have enough experience in that department to offer reliable advice.

Hope this helps,

Rick

• Like 1

Zealot

Hardware wise it looks fine to me, but I have a few questions.

1. Are you intending the i3 NUC clients to only access files on the N7700 via your Media Browser Server?  For example: limited Live TV(no DRM channels like HBO, Showtime which vary by cable provider), no gaming, no email

2. Do you intend to use a CableCard and tuner to receive LiveTV

3. Do you already own the equipment you mentioned above?

Just to give you an idea of my setup:

Server PC- i3 -3225 using CPU graphics HD4000, 12GB RAM, Win7 x64, 128GB SSD(for OS and Media Browser), Ceton InfiniTV4-PCI w/ CableCard (for LiveTV), 6TB of IDE HD storage

2 Roku 3's with Media Browser App in two bedrooms that have access to all recorded media accessible to my server PC

Home LAN is 100Mb/s (limited by FiOS router) with a couple network switches to provide internet connectivity to 4 other computers.

My only concern would be if your server needs to transcode 4 Blu-ray quality movies at the same time to each client (worst case scenario), in which case heat may become a problem as well as processor speed in a NUC server.  Maybe someone else can chime in here with there personal experiences.  I don't have enough experience in that department to offer reliable advice.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the answer.

1. Yes, I only want the i3 NUCs to run XBMC and play stored content or stream Netflix, Hulu, etc. I have a seperate gaming computer. I suppose they could do email, but I have a laptop that I usually use for that.

2. No, I don't. I'm guessing it would need an expansion slot to accomodate one?

3. Nope. I had another PC that I used to use in the living room, but it killed itself so I need to get another. I would probably buy the i5 and one i3 first, adding in other i3's as I could afford them. I think I would need 4 total, including the one in the initial buy. I'm not 100% sold on them, but I like the low power usage, small form factor, and relatively low cost. Do you have a better idea for a server? I don't imagine it will have to transcode HD blu-ray files very often, but you never know.

I wired the house with with Cat6 a couple of months ago and got an HP1810G and an ASUS AC-66 router so everything internally runs GbE. The internet connection is AT&T UVerse. Someday I dream of having something like FIOS. I have blu-ray players in most of the rooms that can stream most of the N7700 content already, but finding what you want to watch is a jumbled mess of folders. I'm hoping the Mediabrowser3/XBMC can unjumble the collection a little bit and make it more accessible to everyone in the house.

Thanks again for the response. I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Simon