89 replies to this topic

#41 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12863 posts
  • Local time: 09:02 PM

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:42 AM

Nah. Save yourself future problems. Just get a modem and never worry about this crap, again.

Edited by Doofus, 22 March 2019 - 10:43 AM.

#42 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2968 posts
  • Local time: 12:02 AM

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:45 AM

I'd personally rather have the ability to turn on the router if need (just in case).  You never know when router die and it's always nice to have a backup if needed. :)

But either replacing what he has with just a modem or putting his current ISP rented modem/router in bridge mode will work.

Six of one and half a dozen of another.  LOL

Edited by cayars, 22 March 2019 - 10:46 AM.

#43 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12863 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:00 AM

Not all isp modem/routers allow that. I discovered that the hard way. The Comcast gigabit modem has to be set by them. You have to call them and they turn it on or off. A pain in the butt. It's just easier not having to ever deal with it.

#44 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • Local time: 01:02 AM

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:12 AM

Let me just say, I am thankful for the help you guys are giving me.

@cayars: I think I will go with @Doofus suggestion first, and if that does not work, then I'll have no other option than to Bridge Mode, or buy a modem and configure it myself with my ISP.

@Doofus: When I contact my ISP and ask for a modem only, when they send it out, do you think it will be already configured with our information? When we get our combo modem/router, a few months ago, it was already setup and all we had to do was plug it in and wait for the service guy to switch the line outside our house and then it worked.

Edited by Vinnie Sims, 22 March 2019 - 11:12 AM.

#45 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2968 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:27 AM

I'm a bit perplexed by switching the modem out but if that's what you want to do...

A combination modem/router in BRIDGE mode is essentially just a modem.

What comes out of the modem or the modem/router in bridge mode is the public IP.  

You are then going to run a LAN cable from the modem to the router (already done).

The ONLY difference is that your router now gets a public IP address vs another internal IP address that isn't routable on the internet.

It does not simply the process in any manner what-so-ever to replace what you have.  The new router which is now ON THE INTERNET needs to be configured as such with any ports that need to be opened, etc.

A simple 1 or 2 minute process to change the mode of the modem/router provided by the ISP (assuming you have the username/password) has turned into a 2 day discussion which doesn't help solve the problem in any manner at all.  It doesn't simply or make it any easier.  Nothing gained at all.

@Vinnie, do you have the username/password to the ISP provided modem/router?

#46 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:30 AM

I see, but if I just replace the combo, modem/router, and just install the modem from my ISP and have it activated, it should just work. All I have to do is is port forward on my router.

I do not have the username/password from my ISP, but the username is accessible via the modem webpage on my network, just not the password.

#47 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2968 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:02 PM

Like I said, whatever way you want to do, but you're doing it the hard way. :)

It's much easier to switch the mode of the router to bridge mode then go through the hardware switch out, returning modems, dealing with the cable company, going through new activation and then possibly resetting up your router due to different MAC address.

Once you get rid of your double NAT (one way or another) and open the proper ports on your router hopefully things will work for you.

#48 pwhodges OFFLINE  

pwhodges

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • Local time: 05:02 AM
  • LocationOxford, UK

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:10 PM

Just curious here - why is double NAT even a problem?  So long as the server knows the external address and its own local address, how does it matter what happens in between?

#49 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2968 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:59 PM

It doesn't have to matter if the Double NAT is on the user side and IF it's port forwarded.

However the "zone" between the two NATs isn't routable from the internet as the IPs used inside are all private addresses. This can be especially more complex if both sets of NAT use the same IP space (legit).

You can almost think of the two NATs as two FIREWALLS so nothing gets inside unless ports have been setup to allow this to happen.

That was something else I was going to suggest that could be done in this case but we got completely side tracked on replacing modems and what not.

Another solution is to port forward the ports from the first modem to the second and from the second to the Emby server. ie Double Port Forwarding (forwarded on both routers).  That would also work.

HOWEVER, this would not work automatically and the ports can't be opened via UPnP by Emby and would need manual intervention to do.  The double NAT would also get in the way of other programs that legit open ports.

Edited by cayars, 22 March 2019 - 02:04 PM.

#50 pwhodges OFFLINE  

pwhodges

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • LocationOxford, UK

Posted 22 March 2019 - 01:23 PM

Thanks - I had missed that UPnP wouldn't reach the outer router (not least as I never use it!).

#51 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12863 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:48 PM

Let me just say, I am thankful for the help you guys are giving me.

@cayars: I think I will go with @Doofus suggestion first, and if that does not work, then I'll have no other option than to Bridge Mode, or buy a modem and configure it myself with my ISP.

@Doofus: When I contact my ISP and ask for a modem only, when they send it out, do you think it will be already configured with our information? When we get our combo modem/router, a few months ago, it was already setup and all we had to do was plug it in and wait for the service guy to switch the line outside our house and then it worked.

With a simple modem, there's really nothing to setup. They just need to activate it. The modem I have, automatically activated itself. I just had to put in my credentials. It took about two minutes. But yours is from an ISP, so it may be pre-activated. They make things very easy, these days.

#52 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2968 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:28 PM

There is more setup then taking the already activated modem already on site and just changing the mode to bridge which can take all of 1 or 2 minutes.

Changing out a modem involves calls to the ISP, possibly taking the old equipment back, exchanging it, calling up support, running through new installs to get the modem setup, bouncing the internal router, running new config on the router to see the new mac, etc.

It's not as simple any way you cut it, UNLESS you don't already have access to the admin panel of the previous modem/router.

None of these things are hard when you know what you're doing and have the time to spare, but at the end of the process what have you gained?

ZERO

Edited by cayars, 22 March 2019 - 05:29 PM.

#53 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2968 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:43 PM

I'm bailing on this thread as it's turned into something different then what it started and I feel like I'm wasting my time on pointless discussions. I tried to earnestly help but I think that has passed as the thread morphed into something different.

All I know is about 10 minutes of Teamviewer time and the OP's problem would have been solved assuming he has the username/password for his ISP modem. I would have watched and guided him in what to do and explained what he needs to change and explained why so he understands moving forward.

This isn't rocket science and doesn't need to become that with equipment exchanges IMHO and other things that really don't relate to the problem at hand. :)

To the OP, if after going the route you choose to go, if you get stuck or need assistance I'm still willing to help, just PM me.  Otherwise you're probably in fine hands as the other people in this thread are also very knowledgeable and can help you just as well (maybe just a different way).

It's all good and I'm sure you'll get your issue resolved,

Carlo

Edited by cayars, 22 March 2019 - 10:16 PM.

• Spaceboy and maegibbons like this

#54 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:49 PM

@Doofus: Thanks for the information. When I got my combo modem/router a few months ago, it was already configured to our account, username/password. So, I think the modem only should be the same.

@cayars: I appreciate your help, and would love to continue to have your help. I’m just trying to figure out what solution will be less work for me and cause me to have less problems now and in the future. Don’t take this the wrong way, I just don’t want to have all my settings on my router wiped, as I already personalized it to our liking, my family. So, I’m still deciding on what way to go. I also don’t think I will have to go through any of those processes as you stated for obtaining the modem. As I stated above for @Doofus, when I got my combo modem/router a few months ago, it was already configured to our account, username/password. So, I think the modem only should be the same, and if not, when I contact my ISP, I will tell them them to make sure they have it configured so all I have to do is plug it in.

For the both of you: Thanks for your help, I’m still deciding on what way to go and will keep you all updated when I make my decision. I just want things to work.
  • Doofus likes this

#55 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2968 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:23 PM

I just don’t want to have all my settings on my router wiped, as I already personalized it to our liking, my family. So, I’m still deciding on what way to go. I also don’t think I will have to go through any of those processes as you stated for obtaining the modem.

If you're talking about YOUR router, nothing is going to get wiped and you likely won't need to even log into it. If so it's only to manually map the port for Emby if it can't do it itself.

If you're talking about your ISP router, that is going bye-bye and the routing is being removed one way or the other.

Not sure what you're worried about.

#56 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:27 PM

What exactly Router are you talking about? My personal router or my modem/router combo from my ISP that I was given a few moths ago...

#57 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 16557 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:51 PM

What exactly Router are you talking about? My personal router or my modem/router combo from my ISP that I was given a few moths ago...

Haven't read this topic completely but what models are they?  If you can you have to forward the "modem/router combo" to the "personal router", then your router to your pc with Emby installed on it.  But this is still all dependent on your exact network configuration.

#58 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2968 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:51 PM

Your combo modem/router is going to cease to exist as a router (the whole point of what is trying to be done here).  Either we are turning off the built in router functionality via bridge mode or you are exchanging it for a different piece of hardware that doesn't have the router built in.

One way or the other, what will be coming out of port 1 on the ISP provided hardware after making the change will be a PUBLIC IP address that is fully routable that will be plugged into your own router.

Your personal router is essentially not changing at all as far as any configuration.  Emby has probably already opened the proper ports on it.  These ports are being blocked by your ISP modem/router due to the NAT it has.  The only possible difference are:

1) Your router will get a public IP address instead of a non routable private address.

2) A port might need to manually be opened for Emby but this has probably already been done automatically by Emby.

So as you can see, nothing really changes with your own router and it's likely you won't even need to login to it.  All the problems are caused by the fact you have two routers with two NATs so the first NAT/router needs to be removed.  This is either done by replacing the hardware or just enabling bridge mode on the ISP modem/router.

#59 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:53 PM

@cayars: Thanks for clarification.

#60 maegibbons OFFLINE  

maegibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2337 posts
  • LocationLutterworth, England, UK

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:33 PM

It appears you are clueless in trying to troubleshoot this yourself.

So take Carlo's offer in having a Teamviewer session and he can sort it out quickly.

Probably take less that 30 mins

Krs

Mark

As I said a few months back.....

Why do you not let Carlo login and sort it?

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons, 22 March 2019 - 11:34 PM.

• Spaceboy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Trouble, Remote, Connection, Connect, External, Help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users