89 replies to this topic

#21 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Local time: 02:12 AM

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:25 PM

I have a Mac, how would that work for that?

#22 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2923 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:30 PM

Google is your friend. :)

https://support.host...eroute-on-a-mac

#23 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:43 PM

Ok, do I use the 8.8.8.8 as the domain?

#24 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2923 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:22 AM

You can actually use anything as we only care about the first couple of hops.  Just use the 8.8.8.8 and report back if the first two lines are in the private ranges or not.

#25 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:12 AM

Ok. When I use traceroute 8.8.8.8 on my Mac, it comes back with two private IPs for internal use only.

#26 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2923 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:18 AM

That's what I thought would happen.

What needs to be done is for you to change the mode of the first router (one connected to your ISP) into BRIDGE MODE.

That will essentially make the 2nd router the only one with NAT running and will fix this problem.

Usually that is very easy.  Just lookup the router in google with a search of router name/model and bridge mode.

#27 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:22 AM

Ok. I had to do Bridge Mode one time for my router, and it did not run out ok. When I did it, since I was calling my ISP and they told me how to do, I put it into Bridge Mode and all my settings were lost for my network. This is not going to happen then eh?

Also, once it’s in Bridge Mode, I will only have one NAT? Will I also be able to connect externalling?

#28 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2923 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:27 AM

Yes, you can loose functionality that will need to be reset back up.  If you have ports opened or any other functionality on the 1st router you will need to duplicate them on the 2nd router.

So walk through all the settings used on the 1st so you have them written down to know what needs to get setup on the 2nd router.

Essentially what BRIDGE MODE is going to do is make the first router into a "cable modem" only without the routing or NAT functionality which is what we need to do.

You don't need/want this functionality duplicated but only in one place (your own router).

#29 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:16 AM

Ok, but functionality in terms of what and what do I need to write down?

Before I do this, I have a few questions.

1. Does putting my router into Bridge Mode make me lose complete access to all the saved settings such as the Access Point Names & Passwords? Or just DCHP as seen here?: https://www.linksys....ticleNum=137888

2. Will this let me be able to access my Emby server and anything else I want to access outside my local network successfully?

3. Can I still use my apps and services that I previously had on my main router?

#30 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11466 posts
  • Local time: 11:12 PM

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:54 PM

There's a much easier way to do all this. Just ask your ISP for only a modem. You have a router, so if you just get a modem, all of this goes away. I never use ISP routers. If it's a cable company, you could even buy your own modem, and not use any of their stuff. That's what I do.

Edited by Doofus, 21 March 2019 - 02:55 PM.

#31 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2923 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:51 PM

Ok, but functionality in terms of what and what do I need to write down?

Before I do this, I have a few questions.

1. Does putting my router into Bridge Mode make me lose complete access to all the saved settings such as the Access Point Names & Passwords? Or just DCHP as seen here?: https://www.linksys....ticleNum=137888

2. Will this let me be able to access my Emby server and anything else I want to access outside my local network successfully?

3. Can I still use my apps and services that I previously had on my main router?

1. Yes, you are going to lose all "router" functionality that was setup on this modem/router. In a nutshell when you turn on bridge mode your internal router will be connected to the internet and will become your firewall.  So you will need to transfer any ports that were open (if needed) over to the "new" router.

2. Yes it will

3. Not sure what you're asking about on this one.

#32 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:22 PM

I think you both are confused at what Hardware I have.

When we got our new internet setup a few months ago, the ISP gave us a modem/router combo.

I decided I wanted to use my own router rather than the router/modem combo our ISP gave us. I hooked up the modem/router to my actual router, and now the modem/router only acts as the modem, and our router as the router.

So, I have my router hooked up to the router/modem combo, but only the combo acts as the modem.

@Doofus: I may try going your route by just asking my ISP for a modem only, not a combo.

@cayars: What are your thoughts about this ^^^ ? Also, what settings would be lost? The modem or the router settings? Or both? Will I need my ISP to reset or restore the settings if wiped?

#33 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11466 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:44 PM

The modem/router stays that way unless you deliberately change it (bridge mode). Just plugging it into a another router won't change anything, unless you have a more advanced router like a USG (then NAT is disabled). But you have two routers both translating. Which is what you have issues with. For someone like you, I would avoid that complication. If you get issues later, you'll need to be able to troubleshoot that. That would be a headache for you. Switching to a simple modem, will make life much easier for you. Unless you enjoy fiddling with this stuff, and learning about it :)

#34 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:16 PM

@Doofus: Thanks for your reply and information. So I just ask my ISP for regular modem? What if they say they don’t have “just modems”?

#35 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11466 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:03 PM

@Doofus: Thanks for your reply and information. So I just ask my ISP for regular modem? What if they say they don’t have “just modems”?

I would try that, first. And if they don't have one, you can either buy one, or just continue with what you have, in bridge mode. I was just trying to simplify things, for you. Is your ISP a cable company?

#36 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:06 PM

I will try contacting them. Hopefully they will comply! I’m not sure if it is a cable company, but this is their website: https://diallog.com

#37 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11466 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:31 PM

It doesn't appear to be cable. Are you using your phone line? Either way, I think they may need to provide you with a modem. I imagine they'll accommodate you.

#38 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:34 PM

We are using our phone line to run our internet. We do not have a phone service, we just use our cells now.

Thanks for your help. I will contact our ISP ASAP to see if I can get a modem only.

This will then be able to solve my NAT problem and let me be able to connect externally to my Emby Server?

#39 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11466 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:45 AM

We are using our phone line to run our internet. We do not have a phone service, we just use our cells now.

Thanks for your help. I will contact our ISP ASAP to see if I can get a modem only.

This will then be able to solve my NAT problem and let me be able to connect externally to my Emby Server?

It sounds like you have DSL. And yeah, if you have a simple modem connected to your router, you just need to configure portforwarding, and you'll be able to connect, remotely.

#40 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2923 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:20 AM

You do NOT need a simple modem if you have access to the current modem.  Putting the modem/router into BRIDGE MODE as suggested numerous times already in this thread does exactly the same thing.  It make the modem/router work as JUST A MODEM.

If you don't have the username/password for this modem then you would have to contact your ISP for assistance.  But if you have the username/password for the router then your ISP does not need to be involved at all.

BRIDGE MODE, BRIDGE MODE, BRIDGE MODE is what needs to be done.

Any Questions?   LOL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Trouble, Remote, Connection, Connect, External, Help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users