Live TV though VPN

BobbyDing

BobbyDing

So I have iptv working in Emby. And I would like to run the streams though a vpn and also access the server remotely. I use nordvpn, who does not support port forwarding. I was wondering if running Emby server on machine A (remotely accessable) could use xteve running on machine B that is also running the vpn, would the streams come through machine B? Would it make a difference if on the server (machine A) I set up the xteve tuner as an HDHR instead of using the Emby m3u tuner (which I have setup now)?

Thanks!!

Bobby

Edited by BobbyDing

No since xTeVe isn't sitting in the middle of the streams with normal functionality.

However there is new functionality called "Stream buffering [Experimental]" that would do this if/when it works.

It presently hangs my sessions and doesn't work for me.

Another way you COULD do this and maybe get rid of the need for xTeVe is to setup Next PVR on the same machine running the VPN and then either setup Next PVR in Emby using an M3U file or with the Next PVR plugin.

Next PVR can import an M3U file and treat it like any other tuner.  The current version only allows 1 M3U import.

You can however continue to add additional individual streams for almost unlimited number of supported streams.

You can then "combine" these channels with existing channels.

As an example in my case I can use one HDHomeRun Quatro (4 tuners), Prime (3 cable tuners) and an M3U provider (5 streams).

For my local ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS channels I can get these channels from all 3 of the above sources.  So in Next PVR I MERGE these channels together.  That gives me a minimum of 12 different "tuners" for those channels. 

I can have more then 12 tuners at times because of Multi-Rec used for the Quatro tuners.  Multi-Rec allows a single tuner to be used for the main broadcast as well as all subs on the same "transponder" or freq.  In more simpler terms channels 17.1, 17.2, 17.3 & 17.4 can all be recorded at the same time using only 1 tuner in my area.  29.1, 29.2, 29.3 & 29.4 can be recorded at the same time with one tuner, etc  If the stars line up correctly I could in my area record about 10 different channels at the same time using only the 4 tuner Quatro using Multi-Rec.  In the real-world and with the typical channels I use I average about 6 channels from my 4 tuner Quatro.

So I set priorities for my "tuner devices" in NPVR so that OTA/Quatro is always used first, then Prime/Cable is used next, followed by channels in the M3U file.  This gives me the greatest chance of making sure a tuner is available for the channel I need to tune to is available.

Getting back more to your question, the only "gotcha" right now with this approach is enforcing number of streams being used.  You can't have multiple M3U providers, each with their own simultaneous stream limitations.

BobbyDing

Thanks, I assume all the tuners are within npvr (could they be mixed)? Not some on emby and others on nprv? Also, npvr uses schedules direct?

Thanks,

Bobby

Edited by BobbyDing

BobbyDing

Why not just use a VPN that supports port forwarding?

I considered this, but the ones I looked at where a bit pricey.

Bobby

Thanks, I assume all the tuners are within npvr (could they be mixed)? Not some on emby and others on nprv? Also, npvr uses schedules direct?

Thanks,

Bobby

You can mix things up.

For example if you have HDHomeRuns or other OTA/Cable tuners, you can set these up directly in Emby and then setup your M3U streams ONLY in Next PVR.

You have two ways to go with Next PVR.  You can set up Emby to talk to Next PVR with an M3U file tailor to use Next PVR.  Doing this you would NOT use any plugins in Emby and would setup EPG in Emby for channels/stations running through NPVR.

OR you can use the Next PVR plugin in Emby which would pull all info from Next PVR.  In this case you would setup an external EPG in Next PVR.

In case your next question is this: "Can I setup tuners directly in Emby AND also use the Next PVR plugin?"

The answer to that question is also YES. :)

BobbyDing

You have two ways to go with Next PVR.  You can set up Emby to talk to Next PVR with an M3U file tailor to use Next PVR.  Doing this you would NOT use any plugins in Emby and would setup EPG in Emby for channels/stations running through NPVR.

This sounds interesting. I've used nPVR before. How do I set up an m3u file in emby that communicates with nPVR? I assume your just setting nPVR up as a tuner?  Is this in a wiki?

Thanks,

Bobby

Edited by BobbyDing

This sounds interesting. I've used nPVR before. How do I set up an m3u file in emby that communicates with nPVR? I assume your just setting nPVR up as a tuner?  Is this in a wiki?

Thanks,

Bobby

Let us know when you have NPVR setup and working on the 2nd machine and we'll help you integrate it into Emby so you can use Emby EPG providers.

BobbyDing

Torguard

Does the port forwarding come standard? Or is it an extra charge? And do you use the VPN or Proxy service? Also, do they address the "port failure" issue that the port forwarding on VPN's can have?

Thanks,

Bobby

Edited by BobbyDing

BobbyDing

Let us know when you have NPVR setup and working on the 2nd machine and we'll help you integrate it into Emby so you can use Emby EPG providers.

I have found the earlier posts where you set up nPVR as a dumb tuner. I'll give it a go and get back with any issues. I would like to use my existing HDHR tuners directly from Emby as they are set up now, and nPVR then only for the iptv streams. I suppose the max tuners available is still an issue? As mine is 3 for iptv.

Bobby

If you only have one M3U file running through Next PVR you'll be just fine.

When you import the M3U file you craft following the other thread you mentioned on "dumb tuner" then you can enter a 3 for number of tuners available.

Guest asrequested

Does the port forwarding come standard? Or is it an extra charge? And do you use the VPN or Proxy service? Also, do they address the "port failure" issue that the port forwarding on VPN's can have?

Thanks,

Bobby

I use the anonymous VPN service, and port forwarding is no extra cost. I don't know anything about port failure. I've never had an issue.