Honor device rotation during playback?

tiorsus

tiorsus

Emby (for Android - v3.0.35) behaves as expected in the main UI - i.e. it's oriented in landscape or portrait per the physical orientation of the device.  However, as soon as I begin playback, it "force-rotates" to landscape, regardless of how the device is being held.  This is unlike any other app I've used (including other media players - i.e. VLC, YouTube, etc).  I've searched through the settings, but perhaps I'm just missing something simple - how can I get it honor the device's current rotation during playback (i.e. not force it to landscape when the device is currently in portrait)?

Thanks in advance :)

• Like 1

We modeled this after netflix. Youtube is a little different because it supports multi-tasking with the picture in picture feature. It's possible to revise this in the future though.

tiorsus

Well, I don't personally use PiP - but for what it's worth, all the video players I've ever tried follow the orientation of the device. Not just YouTube but VLC, FX (file manager)'s media player, F-Stop, Samsung's Gallery, DoubleTwist, QPhoto & QFile, etc.  I always find it a bit disorienting when I'm holding the device in portrait & using Emby as I have to remember that it behaves differently than pretty much all else ;)

So yeah, an option to turn this off would be very nice :)

• 1 month later...
WilhelmStroker

+1 on this, it would be good to have an option for this so that it respects the orientation lock of the device and doesn't go to landscape when watching a video.

• 3 years later...