Dumb question about Subtitle Matching

eherberg

eherberg

Dumb question:  If the option to only get exact subtitles is enabled - how is the match for 'exact' done?  I'm assuming by filename and/or hash with a stock install (so only OpenSub plugin is enabled)?

Asking because I was looking at some subs that had downloaded during my test the past 5 days.  I had some files that were Filebot renamed that had some subs downloaded.  It made me wonder when I saw them "How did they get downloaded if exact match was chosen"?  Filebot saves the original filename in xattr - but I'm not sure if Emby reads that?

It is entirely possible that while playing with settings, there was a period where I had changed the setting (I did go through all of the settings to get an idea of where everything was - but I don't *think* I changed it during the time period the subs were downloaded - but who knows, it's possible).

Anyway - it made me wonder how matches were done and whether renaming files in an Emby-based system is a good practice (as opposed to leaving them as originally named.

Hi, it's a hash match, and is only used by open subtitles. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• 8 months later...
Drobac Boris

I just switched to emby, and i'm also little confused about subtitles that comes with emby..

1. Opensubtitles requires account? It will not download subtitles from that site without account?

2. If hash matching is disabled, how emby tries to match subtitles? If it tries to find subtitles with movie file name, if i renamed that file name, subtitle matching will be poor?

3. So if emby tries to look at filename, it is best practice to leave movie file name as it is. But then emby will not have success in importing media in library and matching them? Or it will?

4. What if subtitles are not yet availabe for the movie i just imported to emby? Will emby tries again later to find them?

5. And what is the best subtitle file to use with emby so my lg and samsung smart tv's can direct play media? (srt, ass, ...)?

Drobac Boris

Thanks for reply @@Luke. About second answer - with that method subtitle matching will be hit and miss i guess, is there a way to find subtitles with filename, or better to find subtitles with provided nfo that will contain original filename?

Drobac Boris

So what you suggest for best subtitle score if emby can't find hash match subtitle? To leave original filename when adding new media?

Drobac Boris

To clarify.. you said emby will sometimes look at movie file name when searching subtitles.

What is the priority order when emby search subtitles?

I guess emby tries with hash matching first?

If failed what is next?

Can you write me a list with subtitle search priority that look like this?

1. Hash matching

2. Movie filename

3. Emby title

4. Imdb Id

I don't understand when you say emby looks sometimes at filename when searching subtitles.

When?

Also, good solution when searching subtitles are nfo file that is in the same folder where movie is that contains original file name?

So thats way we can rename movie file name to format that emby likes and we can still have original file name for better subtitle find..

I think that's not hard to implement?

Drobac Boris

I just like to know what is going on while emby searching subtitles :D i know opensubtitles have many different subtitles and often downloaded subtitle are out of sync.. i just switched to emby and i would like to know what to expect. Plex have horible subtitle match, but it has 3rd party subtitle finder "subzero" that is pretty good when finding subtitle, that plugin can view

1. Radarr original filename before it was renamed with radarr api

2. Filename

3. Nfo file that contains original filename before it was renamed

And few other options also..

I switched to emby because it is much faster, just want to know what to expect with subtitles..

Thanks

Edited by Drobac Boris

Drobac Boris

Thanks @@Luke, just to clarify. When you say "name" at your priority list, did you mean about file name, or emby display name? Thanks

Edited by Drobac Boris

• 3 months later...