Errors when Deleting

eherberg
Go to solution Solved by lurch9366,

eherberg

I posted 3 days ago (new user looking to move from Plex to Emby) regarding a couple of questions.  But now - I've noticed an odd delete behavior that I don't know if it's common:

As mentioned in my 1st post - for the bulk of our viewing it's watch-and-delete.  This afternoon - I was using the WebUI (Chrome on Win10) to cleanup some watched episodes.  Deleted the first show from the top-level show listing in the TV library -- back out to refresh the UI (because the webUI refresh doesn't show the whole library for titles prior to the now-deleted show) -- delete 2nd show -- refresh -- delete the 3rd show -- and I get an error on Delete.  Actually -- all the files and the metadata did get deleted, but it seemed to choke on the season folder, as the only items left are the main show folder and the empty season folder.  Logs don't seem to indicate anything went wrong (the lines relating to the delete pasted below). 

This actually happened to me last night also.  Once I got the error deleting, nothing else would successfully delete until I rebooted the computer.  Later this evening I was able to delete from top-level a different program - but still not the one as mentioned below (which won't happen until reboot).

Any idea on cause?  Is this a known thing for Windows when deleting the containing folders?

Lines from the log if helpful:

2019-03-17 17:23:27.106 Info App: Removing item from database, Type: Series, Name: MacGyver (2016), Path: C:\Users\eherb_000\Videos\TV Shows\MacGyver (2016), Id: 2006
2019-03-17 17:23:27.111 Info App: Deleting path C:\Users\eherb_000\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\metadata\library\fd\fd8c3f2c2448b00a7254e99734685215
2019-03-17 17:23:27.112 Info App: Deleting path C:\Users\eherb_000\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\metadata\library\a4\a4104f233c5ebc2ab4a2a50e95d9e6e2
2019-03-17 17:23:27.112 Info App: Deleting path C:\Users\eherb_000\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\metadata\library\82\82d1b606bf05fd9c082e07379b1c7501
2019-03-17 17:23:27.112 Info App: Deleting path C:\Users\eherb_000\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\metadata\library\e9\e9261441312491f1b861bc6c04e5ed46
2019-03-17 17:23:27.113 Info App: Deleting path C:\Users\eherb_000\Videos\TV Shows\MacGyver (2016)
2019-03-17 17:23:27.538 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 500 to ::1. Time: 433ms. http://localhost:8096/emby/Items/2006
2019-03-17 17:23:55.491 Info LibraryMonitor: TV Shows (C:\Users\eherb_000\Videos\TV Shows) will be refreshed.
2019-03-17 17:23:55.632 Info App: Removing item from database, Type: Episode, Name: Seeds + Permafrost + Feather, Path: C:\Users\eherb_000\Videos\TV Shows\MacGyver (2016)\Season 3\MacGyver.2016.S03E17.Seeds.and.Permafrost.and.Feather.720p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.H.264-NTb.mkv, Id: 2015
2019-03-17 17:23:55.632 Info App: Deleting path C:\Users\eherb_000\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\metadata\library\82\82d1b606bf05fd9c082e07379b1c7501
Edited by eherberg

eherberg

Attached.  It's a pretty standard error message.  I just tried again this morning with the same error.  Went to delete another file and it deleted just fine.  5c8f9886468db_Emby_Error.jpg

eherberg

If it helps -- going into the program from the top-level and trying the delete command from the 'season' level fails also.  Even though the season is now empty from when the delete operation removed the files - it's not successfully deleting the folder one-level in from the top-level show UI.  I thought perhaps for the problem cases if I deleted it in 'stages' it would work.

Is there any detriment to just manually removing the folder itself?  Will database cleanup itself if I manually remove the folder?

Should the WebUI (I think I asked this in my initial questions thread) still show programs if their are no media files in them?

Can you please attach the complete emby server log? This could be something as simple as the server being denied access to delete your files or folders.

Is there any detriment to just manually removing the folder itself?  Will database cleanup itself if I manually remove the folder?

That's fine too, just run a library scan after doing that.

eherberg

embyserver.txt

Can you please attach the complete emby server log? This could be something as simple as the server being denied access to delete your files or folders.

Attached.  I stopped the server, then restarted it to get a fresh (and short) log file.  :-)

Ok error isn't logged, but the deletion from the database was successful. If you're finding that the files are still in the folders, then the problem is that Emby Server does not have access to delete them. If you can fix that, then that should resolve your issue.

eherberg

The files are gone.  In all cases where I get a delete error - it's the folder that's the problem.

The weird part is that I can't predict when it will happen.  In the same library locations - some deletes work fine.  I'm not doing anything fancy in making a season sub-folder.  When the error happens it deletes all the files ... all the metadata files (including the ones in the series-level folder hierarchy) ... but then hangs when cleaning up the sub-folder:  C:\Users\eherb_000\Videos\TV Shows\MacGyver (2016)\Season 3  (in this case).  It happened this weekend also with deletion of 'Fresh off the Boat".

I'll still experiment some.  I think I have 5 days left on the FireTV client trial - so I've got 5 days to assess whether to move our home server from Plex to Emby.

eherberg

Thanks -- I did that early on.  No different than any of the other folders that Emby *can* remove.  It's weird.  :-)

eherberg

Just as a final follow-up, still no idea what is happening.  Deleted 4 shows with the results of:

Delete 'American Housewife' - no error in webUI and deletions performed

Delete 'The Blacklist' -- deletes all metadata and files, but fails on the season folder with a pop-up error in WebUI

Delete 'This is Us' - no error in WebUI and deletions performed

Delete 'Teachers (2016) - no error in WebUI and deletions performed.

No difference in permissions between the folders that are successfully deleted and the failure.  The server logs, as before, show no problems even though the WebGUI registers one.  If I kill the Emby-server and start a plex server - deletion is completed without error.  

Next week - it's likely that 'Blacklist' will be successful and something else will fail.

Of course - if we delete a file from the client view, the now empty-of-videos show will still show up in the library view (although this appears to possibly be a design decision).

My trial of the FireTV client ends tomorrow - so I'll need to make a decision on how to proceed.

Things I greatly prefer on the Emby client:  I love having the metadata with the media and not locked inside of a database just for easier export.  More robust metadata editing fields over Plex is a welcome feature also.  I also think the 'Next Up' system is a superior system to 'On Deck'.  The 'Play Next Up' option on nearly every screen is an improvement when comparing.  My wife frequently complains that her expectation in Plex when clicking on an episode from 'Newly Added TV' doesn't have an option to play earliest episode if she is a few behind.  No such problems with Emby.  Having specials displayed within seasons in Emby is a big plus too - especially with the number of specials in my wife's horrible 'Ghost Adventures' show.  :-)

The negatives (for us):  The 'delete' behavior is a bit much.  Not just the unexplained behavior in this thread (and only seen while using Emby) - but the lack of 'cleanup' if the last video file is deleted.  My wife felt is was a bit of a kludge getting to a screen where she can delete using the remote from a client (especially if she used 'Next up' from the 'newly added' screen.  'Delete is just a click away usually in Plex.

We'll talk it over this weekend as we have today to really compare the 2 before deciding.  Perhaps this particular delete thread will be useful if somebody reports a similar problem in the future.

Edited by eherberg

• 3 weeks later...
lurch9366

I am getting the dreaded "There was an error deleting the item from Emby Server. Please check that Emby Server has write access to the media folder and try again".

Access permission is set to everyone full access but still cannot delete. I get this error when deleting from emby theater or directly from the server in chrome, both installed on same machine 'windows 7'. I have also tried in my roku app and no error but it does not delete, just goes back to episode list and it is still there. 

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am looking to move over from windows media center to emby and this is one of the last hurdles. Logs attached. 

I am getting the dreaded "There was an error deleting the item from Emby Server. Please check that Emby Server has write access to the media folder and try again".

Access permission is set to everyone full access but still cannot delete. I get this error when deleting from emby theater or directly from the server in chrome, both installed on same machine 'windows 7'. I have also tried in my roku app and no error but it does not delete, just goes back to episode list and it is still there. 

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am looking to move over from windows media center to emby and this is one of the last hurdles. Logs attached.

Hi, this means emby server does not have write access to the folder.

Please attach the emby server log and I'll see if I can spot anything else. Thanks.

lurch9366

embyserver.txtHi, this means emby server does not have write access to the folder.

Please attach the emby server log and I'll see if I can spot anything else. Thanks.

Sorry I thought I attached the log.embyserver.txt

updated log as I am not sure the first one had a recent delete attempt. embyserver.txt

Edited by lurch9366

Sorry I thought I attached the log.attachicon.gifembyserver.txt

updated log as I am not sure the first one had a recent delete attempt. attachicon.gifembyserver.txt

Looks like you tried to delete a recording and ServerWMC raised a back end error. You'll need to check ServerWMC logging to find out what happened there.

2019-04-12 16:11:33.200 Info HttpServer: HTTP DELETE http://localhost:8096/emby/Items/8471. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.103 Safari/537.36
2019-04-12 16:11:33.214 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.0.3.0
	Command line: C:\Users\Lurch\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	User Interactive: True
	Processor count: 4
	Program data path: C:\Users\Lurch\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application directory: C:\Users\Lurch\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	System.Exception: System.Exception: ServerWMC Backend error
	   at wmc2mb.WMCService.IsServerError(String[] results, String message)
	   at wmc2mb.WMCService.DeleteRecordingAsync(String recordingId, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: wmc2mb
	TargetSite: Boolean IsServerError(System.String[], System.String)
	   at wmc2mb.WMCService.IsServerError(String[] results, String message)
	   at wmc2mb.WMCService.DeleteRecordingAsync(String recordingId, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

lurch9366

Sorry I have not responded sooner I just finished a 70 hr week of on call. I have attached the latest log. I get the same error when using recordings folder vs server wmc folder. I also attempted to delete in the roko app to show consistence. no error but still does not delete. 

Thank you for your time. 

embyserver.txt

• Solution
lurch9366

Going on your statement that server wmc was preventing the deleting I started looking at its settings and eureka!!! Under the recordings tab there is a check box for " allow clients to delete recordings" what through me was the info above that section that states "the settings above only apply to Kodi clients" The checkbox is below so I just ignored it. I suppose I should pay better attention.

Sorry to waist your time. Thank you for helping!!!

post-292-0-11273900-1555592319_thumb.png

• Like 1