Automatic refresh rate switching not working

sonicblue83

sfatula

Almost a year to the day and still no auto-switching on the Apple TV using Emby. Last response was one of the canned "Nothing to report" responses.

I guess we should just forget about Emby for AppleTV and hope Infuse releases 6.4 soon, which was announced will have Emby compatibility.

I just don't get it. If Infuse, MrMC and Plex is able to auto-refresh, why can't Emby also do it? I mean, who wants to watch 24 fps movies at 60 fps?

Why not allow us to choose which player to use?

You may want to know we've (users) been testing this in the Apple TV Beta, and you do have a choice between MPV (new) and built in (Apple) player. For me, the built in player works for everything I have thrown at it. I thought that was even in the live version, maybe it's not there yet (under settings). The new guide is nice too.

Edited by sfatula

AviatorBimmer

You may want to know we've (users) been testing this in the Apple TV Beta, and you do have a choice between MPV (new) and built in (Apple) player. For me, the built in player works for everything I have thrown at it. I thought that was even in the live version, maybe it's not there yet (under settings). The new guide is nice too.

I installed the latest from the Apple TV store and there is no option to switch between players. That was the first thing I checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfatula

But it is in the Beta, so, it's coming soon. Using it every day and it's sooo much better. Since I have native player picked, the server has to transcode any live tv recordings, but I don't care, the smooth playback is awesome. 

Justifier

But it is in the Beta, so, it's coming soon. Using it every day and it's sooo much better. Since I have native player picked, the server has to transcode any live tv recordings, but I don't care, the smooth playback is awesome. 

And how do you get the beta onto the appletv? Cheers

And how do you get the beta onto the appletv? Cheers

You can send a PM with your itunes email to @@ebr.

sfatula

Done! =)

Please do chime in on the testing forum Apple TV section, I like seeing others input. 

Justifier

You can send a PM with your itunes email to @@ebr.

Done, thank you. And I will be sure to provide some feedback in the Apple TV section.

AviatorBimmer

@@ebr

Thanks for adding me to the beta team!

I did a quick test and I can assure everyone that auto-refresh rate switching worked great!

I also do love the new Live TV Guide.

I'll continue to test and report any findings but so far so good. This is really awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justifier

So I try the beta version and frame rate switching only works when you dont use transcoding. Absolutely useless if you are using the app away from home and needing transcoding to reduce bandwidth. Very very disappointing. Really hope frame rate switching works with transcoding.

sfatula

So I try the beta version and frame rate switching only works when you dont use transcoding. Absolutely useless if you are using the app away from home and needing transcoding to reduce bandwidth. Very very disappointing. Really hope frame rate switching works with transcoding.

Frame rate switching works if you use transcoding. It works when you change the setting to use the internal player, not MPV. You have to change a setting. 

hi2hello

What version of the ATV are you using?

I am on an ATV 4 (not 4k) and AUTOMATIC frame rate switching does not seem to work properly either. 

Whenever I switch to 1080p, 60Hz everything under emby (latest beta) works fine but as I am located in Europe most things related to IPTV etc. will occur with stuttering.

Switching manually to 1080p, 50 Hz removes the stuttering on IPTV but than gives me a headache on emby.

I am not quite sure, if Apple supports auto framerate switching completely within ATV's 4th generation. Even though the feature is part of the UI, I remember something about frame rate switching as part of ATV 4K.

On the other hand Amazon prime works always fine, no matter what framerate selected.

So in conclusion I would guess, some apps do support the feature while others dont. Not 100% sure about it, but that would explain my actual experience.

Edited by hi2hello

Justifier

Frame rate switching works if you use transcoding. It works when you change the setting to use the internal player, not MPV. You have to change a setting.

Unfortunately it does not I have the latest Beta and have used with the MPV player enabled and with it not enabled and every time I select a transcoding rate other than "auto" (ie no transcoding) the frame rate switching stops working. Try changing the playback settings to a transcoding rate like 15mbps and see. The software is useless away from home unless you can select a suitable transcoding rate based on the available upload bandwidth from your home server normally at about 50% of available for it to work properly.