Automatic refresh rate switching not working

sonicblue83

Senna

A month later, I thought I d ask again:

Are there any news or outlooks regarding a useable (precise: non-stuttering) player in the emby app on Apple TV?

Thanks a lot for any helpful information!

Automatic refresh rate switching is not implemented yet in the Emby Apple TV app.

Follow this topic below to get updates, when Automatic refresh rate switching is implemented (see Item number 3)

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/73329-apple-tv-beta-open-issuesrequests-collection-topic/&do=findComment&comment=738930

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Justifier

Over 4 months and still the atv is next to useless with the current emby app. Refresh rate switching is very important unless you like watching dropped frames all the time. Starting to wonder why I purchased a life-time subscription. Come on guys lift your game a bit 4 months is more than long enough to fix a major problem with the atv app.

• Like 1

Justifier

Another generic response as seen in many many other threads. I would like to recommend your software to friends but how can I do that when basic problems take far too long to fix? How about supplying an eta for the fix? I think I might have to give Plex another go.

• Like 1

simonhancock

The MRMC app works really well for Emby but there are a few bugs, perhaps the time could be spent working with them instead of trying to fix the native emby app? MRMC plus the Emby skin would be perfect. 

Justifier

For me MrMc with emby is fine on LAN but away from home it tries to Direct a play and emby server won't transcode when sending to the MrMc client over WAN.

sfatula

The MRMC app works really well for Emby but there are a few bugs, perhaps the time could be spent working with them instead of trying to fix the native emby app? MRMC plus the Emby skin would be perfect. 

It doesn't seem to work yet for 4.2.0 though. Apparently the next version will.

hi2hello

That whole matter is way more than frustrating from a client’s POV.

It was January 29th, if I remember correctly, when emby switched to their own player. So that is almost SIX (not four) months now! Half a year where it has become obvious, that emby’s own player suffers from core functionality such as frame rate switching, black levels and other basic features that are just mandatory for media software. 

At the end, we are talking about playing media, but exactly that is, what the app no longer is capable of. So: trash bin, full stop.

All that has been fixed so far was just cosmetics. Not a single (!) change, fix or even just an improvement on essential functionality.

But even although it is has become clear, that developers are not capable of delivering solutions to the problem (wether that might be because of lacking knowledge or capacities or other reasons we don’t know of), emby is strictly denying the possibility to revert back to apple’s standard player as an option. Is that stubborn heart? Vanity? Or worse? How should a client rate such behaviour?
No solution on the horizon but alternatively sticking with a non-working software? I simply just do not get it!

To future perspective, with emby’s given resources and capabilites on ATV, I doubt it will get any better. How could emby ensure to support major changes in forthcoming versions of tv OS that are already on the horizon with their own player? Upcoming changes in tv OS 13 (less than 3 months to be released) will be quiet massive. And every single time apple will do changes, emby would need to take hands on their player. Who is going to do this in the future? There where other projects with a way bigger base of developers that struggled on that matter.

From my personal point of view, in fact, emby is risking its reputation. I already stopped recommending emby a while ago which was what I did to a wider audience before. 

In retrospective, such a piece of software in early alpha stage may have never been released to the public. For ATV, it is clear to me, that emby lacks a serious approach, I d go even further, a professionalism required to be seen as a serious market contender.

Right now, ATV is -in best case- not more than a hobby (and please, don’t mislead me: I do not mean that in apple’s terms!) and I will take that into consideration for my next decisions related to media software till emby proves that I am wrong.

Edited by hi2hello
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
hi2hello

Dear emby responsibles,

I would like to state that the situation with the current version of emby’s app for Apple TV app is more than frustrating from a client’s POV and I really hope to get some comments to work with from you on that matter. 

It was January 29th, if I remember correctly, when you were switching to "your own" player (MPV, right?). So that is almost six months now. In summary, half a year where it has become obvious, that for ATV, this player lacks essential core functionality such as frame rate switching, black levels and other basic features that one would probably call mandatory for any kind of media software. 

We are talking about playing media, but at the end of the day exactly that is, what the app no longer is capable of, at least not in a way that one could accept. So: trash bin, full stop?!

So far, all that has been fixed was nothing more than just cosmetics: not a single(!) fix or even just an improvement on essential functionality since the initial release in January.

But even although it is has become clear, that developers are not capable of delivering solutions to the problem (wether that might be because of lacking knowledge or capacities or other reasons we don’t know of), you seem to strictly deny the possibility to revert back to apple’s standard player as an option. Is that stubborn heart? Vanity? Or worse? How should I rate such behaviour as a client?
No solution on the horizon but alternatively sticking with faulty software? I just do not get it! Maybe there is an explanation that the whole community is not aware of and somebody would love to enlighten us on emby’s future path for ATV?

To future perspective, with emby’s so far given resources and capabilites on ATV, I doubt it will get any better. How could you ensure to support major changes in forthcoming versions of tv OS that are already on the horizon when using your player? Yet alone, upcoming changes in tv OS 13 (less than 3 months to be released) will be quiet massive. And every single time apple will do changes, developers would probably again need to take hands on the emby app. Who is going to do this in the future? There where other projects with a way bigger base of developers that struggled on that matter. (just as an example: remember AirPlay Video?)

From my personal point of view, in fact, emby might actually risk its excellent reputation. I already stopped recommending it a while ago which was what I did to a wider audience before. 

In retrospective, such a piece of software in early alpha stage may have never been released to the public. When it is about ATV, I personaly have to summarize, that emby does not seem to follow a serious and professional approach to be taken as a serious market contender. Right now, ATV is -in best case- not more than a hobby (and please, don’t mislead me: I do not mean that in apple’s terms!).

Sorry to sound harsh, but after 6 months of nothing, I am just more than tired of being put off till later and my believe in a solution for ATV strongly fades away.

As stated before, I would highly appreciate any comments with content to work with from you. Is there a roadmap for the ATV app? When will we be able to use a working ATV app again?

Thanks for your time and kind regards,
hi2hello (an emby client, abandoned on ATV)

Edited by hi2hello
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

daedalus

another emby client going down the drain

don't feel alone, other apps get treated the same way and badly we see literally no indication, that this will ever change again

Senna

another emby client going down the drain

don't feel alone, other apps get treated the same way and badly we see literally no indication, that this will ever change again

It's true unfortunately, that basic player functionality, that the Apple TV itself is capable of (like match content to frame rate/dynamic range), hasn't been taken care of, in the last couple of months.

This topic describes the situation to some degree why there still is a delay in progress regarding that issue.

@@hi2hello

It looks like we also see some sort of censorship unfortunately on the Emby Forum, right ?

Because it looks like your post #35 got moved into this topic while it first originated in it's own topic called "Apple TV - current situation and future of the app in general" isn't it :blink: ?

We are going to get you the refresh rate switching that you all are desiring in the near future. We are working on it so please stay tuned. Thanks.

• Like 4

AdrianW

We are going to get you the refresh rate switching that you all are desiring in the near future. We are working on it so please stay tuned. Thanks.

I hope so. The new version (released the other day) looks really good - it may even get me to switch away from ET, but refresh rate switching is a prerequisite.

I wish the ET UI looked as good and responded as quickly as the ATV app.

sfatula

This is great news Luke! Meanwhile, overall, enjoying new Apple TV version combined with emby server beta.

hi2hello

@@hi2hello

It looks like we also see some sort of censorship unfortunately on the Emby Forum, right ?

Because it looks like your post #35 got moved into this topic while it first originated in it's own topic called "Apple TV - current situation and future of the app in general" isn't it :blink: ?

I would not call it censorship. Yes, it has been moved from an own thread to this topic here BUT there was already an older post of mine, that was more or less similar. Concerning to forum rules and technically, you could state it a double posting (compare #34 and #35).

I thought, that it might be a good idea, to open up a separate and new thread, addressed directly to emby’s staff, hoping to get a direct response from them on that matter (which, after weeks of nothing, was the case, even if just in parts and not as detailed as I was hoping for. But at least, any response). 

So, censorship: nah - maybe more kind of "strategic repositioning" 

Honestly: I could not care less, where this discussion takes place as long there is a discussion.

My intention is not to start a fire. It is about ancient bugs being fixed after more than six months and get back a media player app that is worth the name.

It’s about time.

Edited by hi2hello
  • Like 1

hi2hello

Timetable? Outlook? Could you please specify "near future"?

I will go on working on it so please grant us a little more info. Thanks. ;)

Edited by hi2hello

Spaceboy

Timetable? Outlook? Could you please specify "near future"?

I will go on working on it so please grant us a little more info. Thanks. ;)

based on historical performance near future means anything up to 2 years and still waiting. Don’t hold your breath is my recommendation
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
vdatanet

Any progress on this?

• 4 months later...
Justifier

Nothing to report on yet, sorry.

S

So we wait ‘another’ 4 months and you release an updated version with some fluff and you still don’t fix the biggest problem with the app. I’m ready to give up on you guys and this app. So disappointing.

• Like 1

Burrito78

Any updates on this? It's the most important thing at the moment, at least for me. Couldn't believe that it was still missing when i tried the Emby Apple TV app today.

Maybe we are lucky and Infuse will get Emby support (it's really planned, no joke) before the native app gets refresh rate switching.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Burrito78

Automatic refresh rate switching for the Emby Apple TV app, is a long outstanding issue :rolleyes:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69351-elevated-black-levels-since-update/&do=findComment&comment=694392

Other apps like MrMC, Infuse and PLEX have no problems with it, so stick to those for now until a new Emby beta is coming...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
AviatorBimmer

Almost a year to the day and still no auto-switching on the Apple TV using Emby. Last response was one of the canned "Nothing to report" responses.

I guess we should just forget about Emby for AppleTV and hope Infuse releases 6.4 soon, which was announced will have Emby compatibility.

I just don't get it. If Infuse, MrMC and Plex is able to auto-refresh, why can't Emby also do it? I mean, who wants to watch 24 fps movies at 60 fps?

Why not allow us to choose which player to use?

Justifier

Almost a year to the day and still no auto-switching on the Apple TV using Emby. Last response was one of the canned "Nothing to report" responses.

I guess we should just forget about Emby for AppleTV and hope Infuse releases 6.4 soon, which was announced will have Emby compatibility.

I just don't get it. If Infuse, MrMC and Plex is able to auto-refresh, why can't Emby also do it? I mean, who wants to watch 24 fps movies at 60 fps?

Why not allow us to choose which player to use?

I agree totally.  I am so disappointed with Emby and there is no way I can recommend the software to anyone without it having this very essential and basic feature.  It becomes a stuttering mess on pans and the like.  It's like they don't care about appletv users.  They have had ample time to rectify this problem.  Will not be supporting or recommending their software in any way until this issue is fixed.