Automatic refresh rate switching not working

sonicblue83

sonicblue83

Hi,

with Emby automatic refresh rate switching does not work? Does anybody else have this issue? It works with every other video app on my ATV4K. My ATV4K is set to 4K50p as standard.

• Like 1

sonicblue83

Thank you for the fast answer.

That explains why it doesn‘t work. :) Is there an estimated time when it will be re-implemented?

• 3 weeks later...
hi2hello

Same here (obviously)
any news on that matter?

Since the update to the own player, Emby is not really usable on Apple TV any longer because of that matter.
Movies are stuttering … no fun at all. 

Thanks for getting back.

Edited by hi2hello

unisoft

Same here (obviously)

any news on that matter?

Since the update to the own player, Emby is not really usable on Apple TV any longer because of that matter.

Movies are stuttering … no fun at all.

Thanks for getting back.

Just gotta wait I guess. I'm hoping the Devs have it as a high priority rather than a year or more away as its a key feature, this and passing interlaced content to the TV to deinterlace or if its a must to deinterlace on Atv, doing it correctly by doubling the frame rate on progressive output...

• Like 1

denz

We will probable wait a year like everything else too many apps that are just above alpha stage.

• 2 weeks later...
hi2hello

I personally do not really understand why the internal standard player was changed to the one emby implemented.

(Propably and as far as I understood, because a few were complaining loud enough about transcoding on low-end servers that could not handle this. Or maybe because transcoding is no longer part of the free emby version since release 4).

So now, we have all ATV users, unable to watch content from their servers without stuttering, washed out colors, non-working auto switch rate, just to name a few issues that have been reported recently here in the community. But wow, some people no longer need to transcode!

To me personally, that feels like having replaced the bad for the worse and I’d like to question roll-out policy. 

I really would have preferred a solution were users would have been given the choice of using the standard player or emby’s solution, furthermore because of the fact that the current player seems to be (at best) still in beta stage.

I am really frustrated that my Apple TV is currently useless with emby and standard replies such as "We're looking into it, thanks." (which meant it could take months, if not a year in the past before being solved) do not make it any better at all.

Maybe anyone could be kind enough to give customers an outlook, when we might be able to use our ATVs with emby again?

Edited by hi2hello
  • Like 1

Or maybe because transcoding is no longer part of the free emby version since release 4).

For clarification, this is not accurate.  Transcoding is a basic function of the server and is not limited to Premiere.  Hardware acceleration is limited to Premiere on some hardware - not transcoding.

denz

That is a very poor reply @@ebr a genuine question was asked and a rubbish reply. The way emby is going we are going emby is going to support 200 platforms for server of but not one app where we can actually use to watch our content. In Android tv there is option to select which video player to use so can something in the intrim be done to also have mpv as experimental video player and a default video player until mpv is ready it is far from ready on any platform. On my android tv everything works great so far but as soon as I enable mpv nothing is watchable on android tv.

I don't like transcoding but at least I would be able to watch all my content now I have paid for mrmc and I can watch both hd and sd without issue on emby i can only watch hd channels but I shouldn't have to do that I would have rather paid emby for a stable client.

I think users will rather have emby support two platform servers and 4 or 5 clients that are rock solid rather than everything being in alpha stage.

Apple tv the development has been very slow.

• Like 2

I was just trying to clarify some mis-information.  I was not attempting to address the actual question at that time. That's why I prefaced the post with "for clarification".  Sorry for the confusion.

hi2hello

@ebr: No offense, but rather than hanging out on details that do not help pretty much anything to clear up things, or even provide something your customer’s could work with, I d prefer not to be forced to read marketeer talk. At least till I personally overcame my frustration about on how things seem to be working over here.
What were you trying to say? That emby did not mess it up because of hardware acceleration but just for the fact, that a minority of users did should out loud enough? I am wondering about any helpful intention as you stated yourself, it was not meant to clear up anything or even just to answer a question … 

Let’s be honest: Concerning to Apple TV, emby messed it up completely! Why and what could have been a better way, is already stated above. That indeed might just be a personal opinion so please, feel free to discuss that.

Meanwhile, maybe someone with the slightest sense of orientation for customer service could give a useful, if not even helpful information on what we would have to expect from statements such as "We are working on improving this, thanks for the feedback." Does that imply a week, or a month, a quarter year or should we expect something like "only god knows"?

Maybe it is an option to rollback stuff, that is not working yet and give us back a working player that it once was? You could develop your stuff in the meantime and roll out whenever you d feel ready. Awesome suggest?! 

regards,

hi2hello

PS: There are worse things than messing up software. Resources are low, deadlines are tight, customer’s do always demand, … So please, don’t take it too serious. And even if that might sound strange, it is not meant in an ironic way.

PPS: Any infos would still be much appreciated. No, "we are working on it" is NO info!

Edited by hi2hello
  • Like 3

raven-au

I personally do not really understand why the internal standard player was changed to the one emby implemented.

(Propably and as far as I understood, because a few were complaining loud enough about transcoding on low-end servers that could not handle this. Or maybe because transcoding is no longer part of the free emby version since release 4).

I thought the player change was motivated by the continuous stream of complains about ATV not being able to play content mainly due to the limited video format support in the native ATV player.

Transoding is often a problem too, even if your hardware is capable of doing it but that's a different story.

There may be more problems with the mpv player than I thought but I think the refresh rate switching is one feature that should have been a release requirement.

HDR playback is a problem on ATV (again due to the limited video format support) and I thought that was another reason to change the player but not having that initially isn't nearly as big a problem as the refresh rate switching since we didn't have that in the first place with much of the content people have.

I have a couple of Sheild TVs but I also have three other locations in the house that use only the ATV so, as much as I would like to, I can't return to using Emby!

Ian

denz

With the way things have done it now only works for some people it doesn’t deinterlace so large number of users have no use for apple tv as they cant watch their content. I am one of them.

So I would prefer an option similar to android tv so we can easily switch and report bugs. If there wasn’t an option in android tv I wouldn’t be able to use that app as well.

If I have to put up with transcoding so be it since I know it is being worked on.

Senna

Emby Apple TV development is going at a snails pace. The response in testing forum for the TestFlight builds are bleeding to dead, because of this.

But why ? Is the Emby Apple TV user base to small for the Emby Devs to plan resources for it ? Because we see a lot of new features being developed for other Emby platforms, while the basic functionality of the Apple TV Emby app, stays miles behind.

A lot of users would prefer to see first, that Dev resources are placed first into getting all Emby apps at same level with basic functionality, before new features are introduced for other platforms. Good example, waiting for 2 years already to download subtitles with the Emby Apple TV app, which is a must have, for users where English is not their native tongue.

Regarding frame rate switching and HDR, Emby theater uses the MPV player core too, but in there all the options that are missing now in the Emby Apple TV client, is possible in the same MPV player core, in Emby theater.

denz

I also have been keeping out an eye on the beta forum but it seems to be dead as you say. The only app that so far in my little testing works the best is the Android tv. I use mrmc at the moment and happy with it. Apple tv has the best looking ui but unfortunately that is where it stops.

Edited by denz

vdatanet

Perhaps it would be interesting if there was an option to choose the player, internal player or new player, because the internal player plays correctly 4K HDR. In my particular case, the internal player is able to play most of my media.

abat119

...In my particular case, the internal player is able to play most of my media.

Likewise. Most of my files are h.264 / h.265 and had zero problems playing on my Apple TV 4K via direct-stream (so no quality loss with minimal processing power on my relatively low-end media server btw...).

+1 for the choice to roll back to the default AppleTV player until the kinks are worked out.

P.S. If we're talking about fixing kinks already... please try to work out a way to play Full HD Audio (DTS-HD and TrueHD) via LPCM like what Infuse Player does. I mentioned this in another forum a while ago - THIS will put Emby above all the other competitors if it can fix HDR, Frame Rate Matching AND provide Full HD Audio support. a trifecta : - )

Edited by abat119

.. please try to work out a way to play Full HD Audio (DTS-HD and TrueHD) via LPCM 

To do that legally would require some expensive licensing with the owners of those formats but, also, in our experience, users are not satisfied by that approach (software decoding to PCM).  They want their outboard audio equipment to do the decoding (i.e. they want bitstreaming).

raven-au

To do that legally would require some expensive licensing with the owners of those formats but, also, in our experience, users are not satisfied by that approach (software decoding to PCM).  They want their outboard audio equipment to do the decoding (i.e. they want bitstreaming).

I don't think there are any ATV apps that can pass through audio on ATV, at best it can be decoded to multi-channel LPCM with appropriate licensing such as is done by InFuse.

Even the recent Dolby Atmos support is restricted to streaming apps (and perhaps only certain ones) and not applications like InFuse etc.

abat119

I am aware that it costs money for the licensing. I was thinking maybe you could incorporate it into the Emby Premiere plan (also Infuse requires you to pay for this feature) or maybe a seperate payment add-on. I think that would be fair. It just provides more options for the user and I assume not too difficult to implement (I could be wrong about the last part...).

Regarding Atmos: even Apple doesn't have true support - it's lossy Atmos. Still, lossless sound without Atmos via LPCM decoding is much better than lossy sound.

Anyways, thanks for the quick replies and overall your platform is still the best option around - albeit a few quirks as mentioned above.

EDIT: And about the "users are not satisfied by that approach (software decoding to PCM).  They want their outboard audio equipment to do the decoding (i.e. they want bitstreaming)." -- I have a good number of people that are "stuck" on Infuse because of this feature. They like the interface and media management of Emby but really like their lossless sound : - )

They (and I) would gladly "chip in" for this feature.

EDIT #2: And a quick reminder that Apple TV 4 \ 4K outputs sound via PCM anyway -- that's just how it passes the sound to the receiver so that it can integrate Siri and other sound effects.

Edited by abat119

• 2 weeks later...
sfatula

Definitely the old ATV client was far far better than the new one. Old one played everything I have perfect. The interlace is killing me. I understand the new one has a few benefits, but, the current bugs are pretty bad. On every show, I have to check if the recording is interlaced or not, if it is, I have to go to playback settings and set a max bitrate lower than the bitrate of the recording to force transcoding which helps some but it's still not as good as the old player (Apples). If it is not interlaced, then I go to the playback menu to set it back to auto. Not very nice. 

Edited by sfatula

denz

@@sfatula I suggest you get beta installed it is now slower to start live tv but at least it is deinterlaced and watchable. It also looks  better than the stable there seems to be a bit of movement in regular updates in the last few days let's hope it continues.  

• 3 weeks later...
hi2hello

A month later, I thought I d ask again:
Are there any news or outlooks regarding a useable (precise: non-stuttering) player in the emby app on Apple TV?

Thanks a lot for any helpful information!

Edited by hi2hello