How to deal with Chromecasting after HTTPS changes to Chrome

Crestj

Crestj

After reading that you must be connected via HTTPS to see a Chromecast device in Chrome (via the WebApp), I'm seeing the same issue in the Emby App (v3.0.38)

Using Server v4.0.3.0.

Weirdly when I open the Android App and select the Cast button I can see all my Smart Tv's and all my Google Mini devices but no native Chromecast devices.

Is there a change I need to make in the way the app connects to my server? I assume it knows I'm on the local network and connects "insecurely" so no Chromecast devices are shown.

If I go to the Emby dashboard inside the app and select the "Remote (WAN) access" link it opens Chrome and I can cast to these devices.

Is there a way to get the App to treat a local network as secure and connect via https?

I don't want to have to connect via the internet just to cast to these devices.

Please see my responses in this topic:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69363-chromecast-problem/

Weirdly when I open the Android App and select the Cast button I can see all my Smart Tv's and all my Google Mini devices but no native Chromecast devices.

Try giving it a minute. Your chromecast devices will appear.

Crestj

Yeah I read through that, seems like a right PITA Google slapping this SSL requirement in!

As you said, after waiting a while the Chromecast did finally appear so that's good!

Edited by Crestj

As you said, after waiting a while the Chromecast did finally appear so that's good!

We are looking at improving this so that it's more immediate. Thanks.

• Like 1