Homescreen: Add GENRES to home screen

unisoft

unisoft

Can GENRES be added next to collections onthe horizontal view home screen please?

Too many clicks to click 'Movies' then scroll along to top menu option for GENRES (genres at end of list)

The FEATURED large image on the home screen (horizontal view like LG app and Emby Theatre) does not need to be THAT big so plenty of room.

Also could the FEATURED random movie have a label at the top of the image tile or somewhere saying FEATURED? Its then obvious what that square is for any new users.

Thanks...

• Like 2

Happy2Play

Genres on the Home Screen would become Global and have all content types in it.  To me that would be a total mess.

• Like 1

unisoft

Genres on the Home Screen would become Global and have all content types in it.  To me that would be a total mess.

I meant just a link to the genres menu option, instead of having to go into "ALL MOVIES" or "ALL TV SHOWS" and scroll across menu options to get to "Genres" option.

Basically its JUST a shortcut to the buried menu item for GENRES from the home screen as collections and Favourites is already there.

LG/Samsung and Theatre apps using tile theme (horizontal layout).

Edited by unisoft

Happy2Play

What is your vision for this Genre library?  What would this present?  What about content types and libraries, how are they separated?  

Genres are broader then Collection but they apply to all libraries also, not a specific Movie or TV library.  So Genres on homes screen will end up mixing all content types in one location so genre "Action" would show TV and Movies mixed as they would not be filtered by content type or library.

unisoft

What is your vision for this Genre library?  What would this present?  What about content types and libraries, how are they separated?  

Genres are broader then Collection but they apply to all libraries also, not a specific Movie or TV library.  So Genres on homes screen will end up mixing all content types in one location so genre "Action" would show TV and Movies mixed as they would not be filtered by content type or library.

My TV library and Movies library have GENRES (top menu option) that are separated. They aren't the same content in both.

I merely meant a link to genres in Movies and TV libraries from the horizontal home screen - TV and Movies have different home screens.

Home screen - on MOVIES - Add a link somewhere in the red rectangle for GENRES as Favourites and Collections is there.

5c8fa471cd5cc_homepage.jpg

If genres is not there, it means clicking MOVIES menu option OR the ALL MOVIES picture in the red rectangle and scrolling o the top menu bar to GENRES menu option.

Seeing as we use GENERES the most often its a PITA to do these extra clicks. Everyone in family moaning.

There is a new sticky option now to set default screen when going into ALL MOVIES to GENRES but this isn't implemented on LG or Samsung or Emby Theatre Apps yet.

Still would be better next to collections in that red rectangle square.

Happy2Play

Well the Roku and the web client do not have that layout so you are talking about a specific client/app then.

unisoft

That's not the default layout in Theater anymore either....

It is on mine and another member of the family.

The tiles layout looks fab, everyone thinks it's professional whilst the other view that scrolls rectangles of each library looks best on tablets and mobiles.

All about choice though, and it's just like a skin or theme at end of day. Emby makes customers happy if choices or options to toggle for choices ;) Just makes me worried when people start saying copy plex. If they want plex let them go to plex or create a plex theme. Hate the plex look to be default and only. I read on some other parts of the forum one or two customers requesting looking like plex. It's a no from me :)

escapist1234

I've been Googling this and this thread piqued my interest.. When clicking Genres in either TV or Movies on the browser, I get both TVs and Movies mixed together. At first I thought I'd hate this, but I actually kinda like it.... It's not mirrored on the Android for TV version or the Roku version.  Is this intentional?

post-440224-0-92461000-1553373837_thumb.png

We need to make them consistent.  It's intended to be limited to the library that you're currently in.

escapist1234

We need to make them consistent.  It's intended to be limited to the library that you're currently in.

Ahh makes sense. But I do think this functionality could work - especially if you could have things sorted in a random order as a means to rediscover content. Genres don't have to be confined to the typical 'Adventure'/'Thriller'/'Comedy' buckets. Netflix does this:

5c96a06c918c2_ScreenShot20190323at210532

I could imagine this (arguably unintended) genre TV/Film mix being a fairly innovative addition to the home page (super quick mock up...):

5c96a2940730e_mock1.png

Right they don't have to be confined to those traditional buckets but we would need a source for that type of data.

crusher11

That's not the default layout in Theater anymore either....

That's what the LG TV app looks like for me. For a couple of days it was the theater-style layout, then it switched back to what's shown in this thread. The LG app has no settings though, so I'm not sure how to change it?

Since we first launched the add to home screen banner, we’ve been working to label Progressive Web Apps more clearly and simplify the way users can install them. Our eventual goal is to provide an install button in the omnibox across all platforms, and in Chrome 68 we are making changes towards that goal.

Hi.  Can you please explain what you are talking about?

Thanks.

That's what the LG TV app looks like for me. For a couple of days it was the theater-style layout, then it switched back to what's shown in this thread. The LG app has no settings though, so I'm not sure how to change it?

@@crusher11 You can use the web version from another device to change your home screen layout:

http://tv.emby.media

adamstewiegreen

Right they don't have to be confined to those traditional buckets but we would need a source for that type of data.

I don't see the lack of sources as a reason to NOT implement this type of thing if adding to metadata could be done in groups.  So for instance, I have a special place in my heart for "chambara" or samurai cinema.  That is not an american genre but adding it would be simple if I could select all of my chambara films and add the genre once.  But right now I have to go through each title individually, open the metadata etc etc... it takes too long.

• 10 months later...

Hi

I would like to have a system wide "Genre"-type of Library as discussed above, which would allow access to all genres in all libraries. And the resulting list could be grouped by the libraries, so e.g. opening the  "Genre"-type of Library and clicking "genre "Action" would result in a group of films of library "Films", followed by a group series of library "Series"...

And of course the access filter is applied to see only content and libraries you have access to.

• 2 years later...
CAPRICORNX10X

Hi Luke,
Is it possible to display genres on the home screen?
in display selections on the home screen.
It would be really great, like on Netflix and Disney Plus.

By the way and unrelated
The general visibility of the genre display is not good at all in my opinion.
In my opinion, there should not be an image or icon in the genres menu. but only the word.
Is there such a possibility? Add only the word to display selection

unisoft

Nope, don't like GENRES messed up between libraries like movies and tv. If I am in TV I only want to see TV, don't care about netflix; their interface is a shambles which is why I don't subscribe to it, a confusing mess.

In my original post, it was about the TV library and Movies by placing one shortcut when in Horizontal view, next to current collections shortcut is, and replacing Upcoming  shortcut in a TV library on the home screen when in horizontal view.

I think some people mean suggested content for each genre - but in my view this should go under SUGGESTIONS in a library as makes more sense as the home screen can't take multiple genres and suggestions for each. It's possible that next to collections, Genre shortcuts on home screen a SUGGESTIONS shortcut too but I can only see space for 3 shortcuts if current two are made smaller width (see screen shot in my post higher up on this page for visual check of the current shortcuts in horizontal view).

Edited by unisoft