Multiple Kodi Clients - thinking about Moving over to Emby/Con

tcichowicz

tcichowicz

I'm looking for some under the hood info - from advanced users that have built a multi-client environment.

My existing system is pretty basic, as I like to keep things simple, and in the event of a problem I don't have to muck through a maze of "how did I do this again?"

I have a Synology NAS - that provides all the storage for my media files. Using all the built-in 'add video' sources within Kodi - linked to my NAS. I've also enabled a MariaDB10 app, on the NAS to support the MySql feature within Kodi - so all my clients (multiple FireTV & PCs (Windows,MAC)) sync to the same dB.

This all works quite well, however a bit complex configuration on each client to maintain if I make the same change or add a source, etc.

So here's where my questions begin...

I've installed Emby Server on one of my Synology NAS boxes, actually, this particular one is an Xpenology device. I chose that one because it has much more HP than my official Synology boxes. I've also purchased a lifetime Emby account.

I've built a Kodi (18.1) client on one of my Fire TV televisions - from scratch. Installed the basic Addons that I require for my use ... OpenSubtitles, Trakt, Lyrics & Backup. I've also just installed Emby/con - addons.

After running and testing - to the Kodi local dB all seems to be working well. I'm not sure how the updates to the local client dB updates, and if there is by directional flow when it comes to Trakt data, and partially watched positions, etc...

Would it be better to switch to using the Mysql as a common dB source for my clients as I did before? or just stick to the Kodi local dB file dB? I'm thinking using the Mysql dB would be a bit redundant and just complicate things. That I should just let Emby do all the dB work, and keep the local client dBs updated.

any HELP, feedback and or comments would be welcome.

So far I'm pretty impressed with Emby server.

Edited by tcichowicz

Angelblue05

Embycon and Emby for Kodi are not the same add-on.

If you want your content in the local database, then it's Emby for Kodi you are after. Embycon can be installed alongside Emby for Kodi, it uses the plugin listing approach, but with Embuary or skin cloner, you can have it integrated into the skin.

Emby for Kodi: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki

Embycon: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/57016-embycon-kodi-addon/page-1

tcichowicz

Embycon and Emby for Kodi are not the same add-on.

If you want your content in the local database, then it's Emby for Kodi you are after. Embycon can be installed alongside Emby for Kodi, it uses the plugin listing approach, but with Embuary or skin cloner, you can have it integrated into the skin.

Emby for Kodi: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki

Embycon: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/57016-embycon-kodi-addon/page-1

Thanks, I've got BOTH addons installed. Was confused as to how they are related or not? Not knowing that they can/should be used as stand alone.

As far as the 'local database' can that also be assumed to be a shared MySql dB with other clients? (NEVERMIND - just read the wiki link you provided)

Also another question... I have the Trakt addon installed in Kodi - as well as on my Emby Server. How do these work together, or not?

as I've also installed the Emby app (native) to the FireTv - and after watching a movie or show - don't get prompted to 'rate' the video. I'm considering NOT using the Kodi addons at all - and just use the (AppleTV)FireTV app - but don't want to lose the Trakt rating feature - I've come to like in the Kodi experience.

Edited by tcichowicz

Angelblue05

Emby for Kodi syncs to Kodi's local database. It is not compatible with MYSQL setup. It is not a shared database, so on every Kodi client, that sync to local database needs to happen. After the initial sync, the add-on will keep your Kodi database up to date with Emby's using live update events sent from your server.

For trakt, the rating system is only available using the Kodi trakt add-on. If you use the Kodi add-on, I'm not too sure on this one, if you have the server plugin as well, you may end up with duplicated events in trakt.

Edited by Angelblue05

tcichowicz

Emby for Kodi syncs to Kodi's local database. It is not compatible with MYSQL setup. It is not a shared database, so on every Kodi client, that sync to local database needs to happen. After the initial sync, the add-on will keep your Kodi database up to date with Emby's using live update events sent from your server.

For trakt, the rating system is only available using the Kodi trakt add-on. If you use the Kodi add-on, I'm not too sure on this one, if you have the server plugin as well, you may end up with duplicated events in trakt.

So if I'm understanding (about the Trakt addon(s)) If I keep the Kodi addon enabled - uninstall the Emby server plugin - 'assuming' that the Kodi Trakt addon keep the kodi local Db updated - the Emby Server dB - will also contain that data too. ??

I guess it's a safe test to configure it that way and see...  

Thanks for all you help.

Angelblue05

Yes that would be correct. However, if you watch something without Kodi, then nothing will get backed up to trakt. So it's really whatever makes most sense for your usage.

I don't know if there's a way to tell the Kodi add-on to not track the watched status but still allow you to rate. If you can do that, then you should keep the server plugin.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1