11 replies to this topic

#1 HaraldBluetooth OFFLINE  

HaraldBluetooth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Local time: 04:44 AM

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:03 PM

Here I have a new imported movie with 4 embedded subtitles and 1 external srt file. The embedded subtitle file is chosen as preferred.

In my settings I have danish as Preferred Subtitle Language and Always Play Subtitles in Subtitle Mode. Why is the external subtitle file not chosen as the preferred one?

Attached Files

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 126928 posts
  • Local time: 10:44 PM

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:49 PM

The embedded ones are marked as default.

#3 HaraldBluetooth OFFLINE  

HaraldBluetooth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 04:50 AM

Yes, when you make a mkv file and there are several subtitles, one of them is automatically made default - the same goes for audio. If you don't make one of the subtitle/audio track default when you make the mkv file, then the first track become the default.

In this case, If you can't force the external subtitle to be the preferred in Emby or skip the embedded if there is an external, then the only alternative is to make a setting in subtitles - external subtitles preferred.

Edited by HaraldBluetooth, 16 March 2019 - 05:10 AM.

#4 FrostByte OFFLINE  

FrostByte

Advanced Member

• ForumMod
  • 3925 posts
  • LocationThe UP

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:06 AM

Your app when creating your files may be making the first one default, but none of your internal subs have to be tagged as default.  Use mkvtoolnix and change the header only to remove that flag.

Also, if you want a certain external sub to always play try adding the forced or default flag by renaming them.  Right now none of your external subs are marked default or forced.  If your playback settings are set to always play forced for instance then it should play your forced external subs first.

https://github.com/M.../wiki/Subtitles

• PenkethBoy and cybergrimes like this

#5 HaraldBluetooth OFFLINE  

HaraldBluetooth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:28 AM

Your app when creating your files may be making the first one default, but none of your internal subs have to be tagged as default.  Use mkvtoolnix and change the header only to remove that flag.

Also, if you want a certain external sub to always play try adding the forced or default flag by renaming them.  Right now none of your external subs are marked default or forced.  If your playback settings are set to always play forced for instance then it should play your forced external subs first.

https://github.com/M.../wiki/Subtitles

Yeah it's correct, that you can remove that flag, but for downloaded mkv files, this flag is almost always set.

I know the trick with forced and default in the subtitle name, but this is another workaround you can add to your workflow, just because Emby doesn't do, what other softwareplayers can (ex MPC-HC and others). If you download an external subtitle file, it's because you prefer this subtitle over the embedded ones. Otherwise there would be no reason to download an external in the first place.

#6 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 126928 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:49 PM

I guess the question is should we assume all external subtitles are also marked default.

#7 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44152 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:15 PM

I guess the question is should we assume all external subtitles are also marked default.

I'd have to think "no".  As soon as we do that we're likely to have a whole other group of people asking why their subtitle (that they marked as default) isn't getting used.

• FrostByte and cybergrimes like this

#8 HaraldBluetooth OFFLINE  

HaraldBluetooth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:33 AM

I'd have to think "no".  As soon as we do that we're likely to have a whole other group of people asking why their subtitle (that they marked as default) isn't getting used.

Okay ebr, if I understand your comment correct, you are saying, that there is a whole group of people, that use time to mark an internal subtitle as default, while they also use time to find and download external subtitles and rename, so they match the movie file, and then they don't want to use the external subtitle. It doesn't make sense to me. Or could you give me a better example?

Edited by HaraldBluetooth, 21 March 2019 - 03:37 AM.

#9 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44152 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:48 AM

Okay ebr, if I understand your comment correct, you are saying, that there is a whole group of people, that use time to mark an internal subtitle as default, while they also use time to find and download external subtitles and rename, so they match the movie file, and then they don't want to use the external subtitle. It doesn't make sense to me. Or could you give me a better example?

Both operations (default internal subs and downloading of subs) can happen automatically such that no time is needed to be taken by the user.

#10 HaraldBluetooth OFFLINE  

HaraldBluetooth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:38 AM

Both operations (default internal subs and downloading of subs) can happen automatically such that no time is needed to be taken by the user.

How do you make none of the internal subtitles default automatically for downloaded movies? I have external subtitles for all my 10K+ movies, so I know how hard it is to get a correct one automatically. Opensubtitles site is not the preferred place for subtitles in my language and about 60% of those I download, I resync myself if they doesn't fit the downloaded rip.

ebr you can't deny, if you download external subtitles, this must because these must be the preferred. As far as I know, Emby also starts playing quicker, without using time to extract the subtitle before playing.

Edited by HaraldBluetooth, 21 March 2019 - 09:53 AM.

#11 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44152 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:52 PM

ebr you can't deny, if you download external subtitles, this must because these must be the preferred. 

IF you manually download them, yes but then you can also manually mark them as default with a tag in the subtitle file name.

My point is that our system can download subs automatically so the existence of external subs doesn't guarantee that they are the ones you want - although, all attributes being equal, we will prefer them.

#12 HaraldBluetooth OFFLINE  

HaraldBluetooth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:48 AM

IF you manually download them, yes but then you can also manually mark them as default with a tag in the subtitle file name.

My point is that our system can download subs automatically so the existence of external subs doesn't guarantee that they are the ones you want - although, all attributes being equal, we will prefer them.

ebr, I accept your point :)

I have just renamed all my external danish and english subtitles (about 17K) to include the default tag in the file name with the little wonder program LupasRename, and it was a relative easy task and it works in emby as expected. Those movies where I both have an external danish and english subtitle file, both now with the default tag, emby takes the danish as default, because my preferred subtitle language is danish, so that's perfect. :)

Although it would be easier with a new option in subtitle settings like External subtitles preferred, I can live with renaming all my external subtitles to include the default tag from now on.

• ebr and FrostByte like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users