[Question] Choosing a NAS

Leyst

BAlGaInTl

@BAlGaInTl - Thanks for the info. At this point, though, I'm less concerned with price than with time. I'm doing this because I'm moving and trying to consolidate. To really build a high performance NAS I'd need to really research things and don't have the time.

I do appreciate the help though!

No worries. I certainly understand that.

• 1 month later...
Riggs
I have a newbie question from the point of view of using a NAS.

I have in mind to install a NAS using OMV (OpenMediaVault) on my old PC that I used with Linux for my daily use + the Emby server and the SAMBA enabled with an i7 6700k processor and 16 in RAM on a 1 GB hardwired LAN.

On that computer I have my hard drives with around 40TB at this moment.

I had an Nvidia video card nothing fancy (GTX 750 TI), which I removed to install on my new personal computer for budget issues.

My idea is to install the standalone NAS on that old PC.

I built a new PC with a Ryzen 2700x and 32 RAM for my personal use only with the intention of leaving the old PC as a server, running the NAS 24/7 without having to use my personal computer.

Having said that.

I get a HUGE doubt about the transcoding necessary in some devices in my home and the resources of the NAS. This is because I never enabled hardware acceleration on my old Emby server, it has defaults but since I removed the Nvidia card I feel Emby, on the client's side, quite "lazy" when it comes to playing.

Options that go through my head:

1- Run Emby from the OMV docker (I would have the built-in video of the i7 6700k processor). >> Here is where I have no idea if that is enough for Emby to run fluid. <<

2- Utillize my personal computer for Emby Server, which runs on Debian 10 Buster, and from there pull the libraries from the SMB / CIFS of the NAS OMV. This way my PC would do the transcoding and it will be the Emby server.

Home scenario:

1 LG 4k TV (connected to the Shield through a Yamaha receiver)

1 Samsung 4K TV (almost always decodes something)

1 Roku 4 Ultra (almost always decodes something)

1 Nvidia Shield (99.9% direct play)

** I do not use Emby outside of my LAN, it is completely private.

** I NEVER do transcoding from 4k to 1080p.

At this point, I do not know what to do for the transcoding and what could be better for the correct integration of the NAS in my LAN.

Thank you very much in advance.

I know that this consultation was long, but I think it is best to explain in detail to get the right help.

Have a nice day.

Edited by HRSCR

notla49285

I have the DS918+ and absolutely love it. I've since upgraded the RAM to 8GB and added 2 x M.2 SSD drives. So far the only issue I can see Emby-wise is remote transcoding, it's something I keep meaning to ask on here. I've gone from a desktop with a GTX1080 Ti to the DS918+, most of my streaming is internal but my upload speed isn't great so am forced to transcode remotely. There may be some way to improve it that I've missed (likely) but transcoding speed is fairly crap in comparison.

That being said, the other features of the DS are phenominal (file server, chat server, automated local and cloud backups, virus scanning, etc), very intuitive dashboard too, it's laid out like a mini OS. Don't regret it at all, just need some advice on the transcoding performance.

• Like 1

Riggs

I have the DS918+ and absolutely love it. I've since upgraded the RAM to 8GB and added 2 x M.2 SSD drives. So far the only issue I can see Emby-wise is remote transcoding, it's something I keep meaning to ask on here. I've gone from a desktop with a GTX1080 Ti to the DS918+, most of my streaming is internal but my upload speed isn't great so am forced to transcode remotely. There may be some way to improve it that I've missed (likely) but transcoding speed is fairly crap in comparison.

That being said, the other features of the DS are phenominal (file server, chat server, automated local and cloud backups, virus scanning, etc), very intuitive dashboard too, it's laid out like a mini OS. Don't regret it at all, just need some advice on the transcoding performance.

I really apreciate your answer, help me a lot.

Transcoding still being unknown to do a choice. I think that i going to test the docker first and see what happens. Thanks!

BAlGaInTl

I really apreciate your answer, help me a lot.

Transcoding still being unknown to do a choice. I think that i going to test the docker first and see what happens. Thanks!

If you aren't transcoding 4K, it's likely that the i7 6700k could do it even without the hardware decoding.  Depending on how many streams you have going at once.

I ran OMV and Docker for quite some time on an older Xeon (E3-1271 v3).  Now I'm on Unraid but still running Emby in a docker.  The i7 you have is faster across the board.  I've had no issues trans-coding multiple streams using only the CPU.

The beautiful thing is that you can always give it a shot.  Little to no loss if it doesn't work for you.

• Like 1

Riggs

If you aren't transcoding 4K, it's likely that the i7 6700k could do it even without the hardware decoding.  Depending on how many streams you have going at once.

I ran OMV and Docker for quite some time on an older Xeon (E3-1271 v3).  Now I'm on Unraid but still running Emby in a docker.  The i7 you have is faster across the board.  I've had no issues trans-coding multiple streams using only the CPU.

The beautiful thing is that you can always give it a shot.  Little to no loss if it doesn't work for you.

Thank you very much for your comment, it is very helpful and clarified the doubt that I had on that subject.

I had to make some changes in the process. A couple of weeks ago I bought a Ryzen 2700X with an Asus Prime X-470 motherboard + 32 in RAM at 3000MHZ new ... However ... the bad luck came after turning off the i 6700k (I never turn it off). The motherboard started doing weird things and then ..... the board died ......

So, I changed the plans and tomorrow the new Motherboard for the i 6700k arrives, but nevertheless I decided to leave the Ryzen for the server and use the Intel for my personal use or some other application in my homelab.

I still do not remove Debian 10 Buster from the PC with the new Ryzen, I'm in the process of moving my movies to other hard drives to be able to format everything to ext4 and then install the OMV without problems... or in a Linux desktop with an SMB and Emby.

At the moment, for budget I do not go with RAID configuration. However, the HDD that I have are ready to be developed as I can buy more HDD. I already have 2 HDT of 10TB but I still lack space to do the RAID, apart from that I have another pair of 6TB WD Red discs and a few of 3TB. They are approximately 40TB of movies.

It's kind of tedious to copy the movies from one place to another, but I have to do it to reformat the discs that were formatted in NTFS to ext4.

Anyway, these things are like that.

I think the server, because of the qualities of Ryzen will be more robust. I hope it lasts at least 4 years :)

Thanks again my friend

H.