Photo

Emby Server in a Raspberry Pi Cluster or one Server running on Multiple Raspberry Pis?

Server Emby Raspberry Pi Cluster One Server Running Network Local Pi Multiple

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11466 posts
  • Local time: 10:58 PM

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:07 PM

Ok, good! What is wrong the CPU not being strong enough?

The GPU needs enough power to do what it needs to, and the manufacturer recommends 300w. That optiplex has a 240w. If it's not under heavy load, you may get lucky.

#42 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Local time: 01:58 AM

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:09 PM

The GPU needs enough power to do what it needs to, and the manufacturer recommends 300w. That optiplex has a 240w. If it's not under heavy load, you may get lucky.

I see, what do you mean by under heavy load? Lots of tasks being run on the computer?

#43 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:09 PM

Ok, out of these refurbs, what can support a good GPU? https://www.microcen...92,519/desktops

#44 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:21 PM

What do you recommend on the refurbs from the link I sent you?

#45 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11466 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:21 PM

Well, if you get the one with the i5, you may not need a GPU ????. Or if you get the one with the i7, you most likely won't need a GPU (it has 8 threads) and some hardware acceleration. 

#46 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:27 PM

So, I should look for one that has at least an i5 or i7?

#47 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11466 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:33 PM

So, I should look for one that has at least an i5 or i7?

If you want some transcoding, yes. You can look at something like this.

https://www.ebay.com...&frcectupt=true

Or this one has the GPU, too

https://www.ebay.com...9df7aa4200889d2

#48 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:37 PM

Ok, thanks. The pricing is a little out my range, but I will look into it. Would this Mac mini get the job done? https://www.microcen...puter-pre-owned Or this PC https://www.microcen...d)#photogroup-1

#49 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 10:53 PM

Also, transcoding / viewing outside my home requires me to port forward on my router as well as having fast speed right? Our speed if 15 down and 4 up. Is that good enough? We will be getting fiber soon this summer.

#50 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11466 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:30 PM

Sorry, I can't help you with mac stuff. I never touch them.

Also, transcoding / viewing outside my home requires me to port forward on my router as well as having fast speed right? Our speed if 15 down and 4 up. Is that good enough? We will be getting fiber soon this summer.

With only 4 up, transcoding will almost definitely be needed. Yes, you'll need to portforward. Basically, with this stuff, just get as much as you can afford. And then work with what you have. 

#51 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:34 PM

Ok, thanks. Do you recommend a PC then rather than a Mac? Does it work better / perform better? I will setup portforwarding up and see how that goes. I will try to get is much as I can get. Thanks for your help!

#52 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11466 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:54 PM

Ok, thanks. Do you recommend a PC then rather than a Mac? Does it work better / perform better? I will setup portforwarding up and see how that goes. I will try to get is much as I can get. Thanks for your help!

I generally say avoid anything apple, but that's my own bias. As for a server, a PC would be better.

#53 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:55 PM

Thanks for your input. I will go with a PC. It’s the cheaper route I think.
  • Doofus likes this

#54 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2923 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:29 AM

You haven't given enough info IMHO for any of us to give you good advice.

You have gotten solid answers from many people to specific questions however.

With only 4 Mb upload AT BEST you will be able to view ONE VIDEO external to your house at 720/4 Mb (maybe).  Don't even think about trying to share your server with anyone other then direct family members as the quality at 4 Mb isn't going to be great.

Moving forward, let me ask these questions:

What format are your media files in?  For example are these MP4 or MKV files ONLY using H.264 codec?

What/where are you planning to store your collection of videos?  Obviously if using the PIs as originally intended you had something different in mind for this front, what is it?

How big is your collection of video files currently?

With answers to those questions we may find other possibilities that could be a better match for you.  For example maybe spending $150ish for a Shield TV will do the trick.  The Shield TV can be both a server and one of the best clients available for Emby serving 2 purposes.  It has a pretty good GPU built in that can handle a couple of transcodes which should be more then enough with you low upload bitrate you have.

The Shield TV isn't as flexible as a dedicated "server" to run Emby on but much more powerful then a PI.  It might be the perfect "temp server" to last you a while depending on the type of content you have and how much of it you have.  It's almost a "no brainer" choice if you need a good client for your main TV as well.  I'd much prefer this to many of the refurbished computers you have listed so far.

• RanmaCanada likes this

#55 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:33 AM

I will only be sharing our server my four family members, that’s it.
Our media files are MKV, MP4/3, codecs could range.
I have a home server with our data on it.
Pretty big collection.
I need to have a computer because I’m going to being running not just an Emby Server on it, but other applications.

#56 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2923 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:39 PM

This is where it gets a bit confusing.

If you already have a computer at home with your media on it couldn't you install and run Emby on that computer?

Now, you've added another requirement which I don't think you previously mentioned. That is that whatever computer you purchase to run Emby on needs to run other software as well which depending on what you are running could be a game changer.

Can you give us more specific information all around on your full requirements as to what you're trying to achieve besides just Emby?

Also how much media are you talking about that you already have?  Guesstimate on Movie/Episode count?

What one person calls a "big collections" is another person's "toy box".  One man's garbage is another man's treasure.  You know what I'm getting at.  It's subjective, but if you could put rough numbers on it then there is no ambiguity.

Carlo

#57 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:26 PM

I do not have a computer at home that is always on and that I can dedicate it to Emby. If I did, I wouldn’t be asking.

The other software I will be running uses very little peformance.

Total amount is 1TB of data.

I think what the others recommended is best that’s going to suit my needs.

Thanks for your help.

#58 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2923 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:52 PM

OK, sounds like you are getting things worked out.

I wasn't asking about the other software just from the perspective of it affecting Emby but also the other way around.

What if Emby is maxing out the CPU doing transcoding or other functions.  Is the other software OK with this?

I certainly wasn't trying to push you into a Shield TV as the server but just wanted to point this out as a definite possibility, especially compared to a PI and would easily handle your library size with ease if on attached USB3 drive.

It's hard to do better then a full blown PC with keyboard, mouse and monitor attached with your choice of OS as long as it has the needed "grunt/cpu" to do the job.

Keep us updated on your new venture,

Carlo

#59 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:05 PM

I don’t think it would effect Emby at all or vice versa.
Will do, I’m still researching what computer to use.
  • cayars likes this

#60 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2923 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 11:18 PM

Don't forget to check with friends/family to see if they have anything not being used they could donate to the cause.  Many a computer have been gained this way as people move to laptops/notebooks and don't care for the desktops/tower and monitors anymore.

Also check out craigslist or similar in your area as well for bargains that could be had for cheap.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Server, Emby, Raspberry Pi, Cluster, One Server, Running, Network, Local, Pi, Multiple

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users