Photo

Emby Server in a Raspberry Pi Cluster or one Server running on Multiple Raspberry Pis?

Server Emby Raspberry Pi Cluster One Server Running Network Local Pi Multiple

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Local time: 07:14 AM

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:35 PM

Hi.

I love that I can run a Emby Server on a Raspberry Pi, but I wanted to know if I could run an Emby Server in a Raspberry Pi Cluster or just run one Server running on Multiple Raspberry Pis directing to the same Server host on the network. Is one of these possible? 

Thanks!

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124564 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:18 AM

I don't have any experience a raspberry pi cluster but that sounds like it would work.

#3 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:14 AM

Ok, what about having multiple Raspberry Pis without being in a cluster and having a server running on each Pi with the same media location acting as one server?

#4 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124564 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:44 PM

Well that's different because that would be lots of media servers each with their own database, users, etc.

#5 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:58 PM

Yes, but I would like to make one unified server with the Raspberry Pis. I can't find a way to make a cluster that actually works from what I've researched. I would make each Pi exactly as identical as possible, just like they said on a discussion on this site, but with a windows computer. Also, would one subscription be able to run on 4 Pis if this worked and in the same local network?

#6 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2719 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:22 PM

Save yourself the trouble of playing with PIs unless you like to tinker.

Dedicate a real PC, NAS or Android device like a Shield TV to running Emby or you'll always be chasing "ghosts".

Spend your time on working on the media and not the environment hosting your Emby server!

PI cluster is fine for certain things but not for Emby, IMHO.

Just my 2 cents,

Carlo

• denz, RanmaCanada and Vinnie Sims like this

#7 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 13852 posts
  • Local time: 04:14 AM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:22 PM

Yes, but I would like to make one unified server with the Raspberry Pis. I can't find a way to make a cluster that actually works from what I've researched. I would make each Pi exactly as identical as possible, just like they said on a discussion on this site, but with a windows computer. Also, would one subscription be able to run on 4 Pis if this worked and in the same local network?

Can I use my Emby Premiere key on more than one server

• cayars likes this

#8 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:34 PM

@cayars: Thanks for your opinion. I do like to tinker, but I would like to know if this would work. Also, what is the cheapest computer that can run Emby on then?

#9 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:35 PM

@Happy2Play: Thank you!

#10 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2719 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:47 PM

@cayars: Thanks for your opinion. I do like to tinker, but I would like to know if this would work. Also, what is the cheapest computer that can run Emby on then?

What you have to understand is that a typical cluster of PIs like an Octi can't just run anything you want to run on them.  You need to be able to take the tasks and break them down into small parts that can be worked in individually.  Then 1 PI could work on each part in sequence or 2 PI can do the same work in roughly half the time.  4 PIs in 1/4 the time, etc BUT this requires having access to the code to break down functionality into these small parts that can be handed out.

Emby is NOT written to do this as such.

The cheapest computer you could use is something you already have around the house or something a friend/family isn't using and can donate to the cause (maybe in exchange for access?).

Make no mistake, a low end PC can be used if you are careful with the file types you use with it BUT the more powerful the better.

If you don't mind spending $150 then an Android Shield TV can be purchased new which will can be used as both a SERVER and CLIENT assuming you have external USB drives or storage on the network where the media is stored.  You would need this even if going the PI route.  Shield TV has both wifi and Gb NIC installed and has on board GPU to help with transcoding (on the fly conversion of media).

The Shield TV isn't perfect (but getting close) and would still allow you to "tinker" but that can be said with any Emby install.

#11 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:19 AM

Thanks for the information. So, clustering is a no go. But, could I still run one local server on multiple Pis if I have them as identical as possible? Also, what’s the cheapest computer I can buy rather than a Sheild. (I looked into it, and I don’t like it, IMO)

#12 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124564 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:59 AM

Also, what’s the cheapest computer I can buy rather than a Sheild. (I looked into it, and I don’t like it, IMO) 

@Doofus may have some tips on that.

#13 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:06 AM

Thanks @Luke! Any suggestions @Doofus?

#14 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11018 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:18 AM

For cheap mini PCs, take a look at Beelink stuff. You can pick one up on ebay. I have a Gemini X45, but haven't tried it as a server. Like everything else, it depends on your use.

https://www.ebay.com...utorefresh=true

Edited by Doofus, 15 March 2019 - 01:19 AM.

#15 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, @Doofus! Would this work? https://www.microcen...r-(refurbished)

#16 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11018 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:50 PM

The question is always the same. What are your requirements?

#17 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:52 PM

Is fast as it can go and reliability. Would that work from the link I sent you?

#18 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11018 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:58 PM

It should be able to run the server, and the GPU should be able to do some kind of transcoding. Probably won't support many simultaneous users.

#19 Vinnie Sims OFFLINE  

Vinnie Sims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:03 PM

Ok, what about this one; https://www.microcen...ter-refurbished -- we will be using it for our four members in the house...

#20 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11018 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:05 PM

No. Unless you don't intend to transcode anything.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Server, Emby, Raspberry Pi, Cluster, One Server, Running, Network, Local, Pi, Multiple

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users