EmbyCon on Nvidia Shield External Player broken!?

Birdy110

Birdy110

Hi guys! If I access my emby server from Kodi via UPnP I can long click on any movie and choose to play it with

my chosen player. (Normally MXPlayer or default Kodi). But when I use embycon I get the menu, but it dose not

work! It actually dose what is set in playercorefactory.xml as default.

For example mine has this rule:

<rule internetstream="true" player="MXPlayer" />

and embycon will play all videos with MXPlayer. If I choose long click and select default kodi player it will still go

for MXPlayer! Now if I remove the rule from playercorefactory.xml then it will open the file with default player but

if I try to open it with MX or VLC it again open it with the default kodi!

Can anyone look into this and see if there is a workaround ?

sualfred

@

Yes, the long click of "ok" or "select" usually opens the context menu for listitems on the Shield. 

sualfred

It seems so. I have no experience with external players and I wasn't aware that Kodi offers an option about which player should be used. The last time I used it was on Kodi 12 for BluRay discs and PowerDVD.

Howto:

https://kodi.wiki/view/External_players

Edited by sualfred

Birdy110

Hi guys. Sorry for late reply, just got back home.

Ok easy! I have attached a ready playercorefactory.xml with this message. So all you need to do is to save this and copy it to your

Kodi userdata folder. Then install mxplayer free and vlc from google store.

Now you can use any external player by simply long clicking on a video (this is how I get the context menu showing on nvidia shield) .

For it to work you need to disable embycon's context menu in the addon's services menu.

Now when the context menu opens you get the option: "Play Using"

5c892b19e8e9a_emby1.jpg

Choose it and you will get the choices I have set in the xml file:

5c892ba9f2450_emby2.jpg

If you try doing the same thing without using embycon (Connecting to your emby server with kodi through UPnP) then it works perfect and you can open the file

with your chosen player. But with embycon the file will only open with one player!

playercorefactory.xml

Birdy110

Yes and Yes again!

If I set the default player to VLC  or MXPlayer in  playercorefactory.xml in both cases embycon opens the videos with the

Player I have selected. The only line needed to get this done is: <rule internetstream="true" player="MXPlayerFree" />

About embycon supporting all these players: I put up a playercorefactory.xml with all the players as example so you can test

any player you want. But I doubt that all of these are needed by anyone. For example in my case I only use VLC and MXPlayer.

Birdy110

The problem is the player selection is not passed through to the play action in the EmbyCon add-on.

I think I am consuming the player selection in the custom play handler I have written, I dont think I can fix that.

I will have a look but at the moment I think being able to use the default set player is the best that you can expect.

I will keep looking though, perhaps I will find something.

Thank you very much null_pointer for looking into this and for your reply. I still have the UPnP way option

too. But EmbyCon feels and look much nicer :) thanks for the great job you guys have done :)

Birdy110

I noticed when looking through the multi player docs

https://kodi.wiki/view/External_players

You can specify rules, perhaps you can set some rules to pick the player based on the criteria you know works best for each media type and format.

I have been looking at this and trying to get the rules work. It dose anything you set correctly under windows.

But under android it's weird! Not working correctly !

Here are an example of my rules under windows:  (I wish I could get this to work the same under android )

But will look more into it and try again !

<rules action="prepend">

<rule filename=".*HDR10.*|.*HDR.*|.*hdr.*" player="PotPlayer"/>

<rule filename=".*4K.*" player="PotPlayer"/>

<rule filetypes="mks" player="PotPlayer"/>

<rule filetypes="mkv" videocodec="avc|h265|h264|hevc|div5" player="PotPlayer"/>

<rule filetypes="mp4" videocodec="avc|h265|h264|hevc|div5" player="PotPlayer"/>

<rule dvdimage="true" player="VLC"/>

<rule name="dvdimage|.*iso.*|.*image.*" dvdimage="true" player="VLC" />

</rules>